Second Round - Hi no Tori vs. Kimetsu no Yaiba | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Second Round Hi no Tori vs. Kimetsu no Yaiba

Who wins?

• Hi no Tori

• Kimetsu no Yaiba

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda

Hi no Tori
Osamu Tezuka
-

Kimetsu no Yaiba
Koyoharu Gotoge

Rules- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it
Special Rules- We proudly encourage you to share the best pics of your Manga!
- Earn the possibility to win a badge by being the proudest Mangalover around!

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi no Tori

As mentioned, Hi no Tori’s unique storyline jumps from time to time with the Phoenix remaining throughout time.

Volume 3: Yamato

Based on the legend of Yamato Takeru no Mikoto, the king Yamato sends his son Oguna to conquer a rival country. On his journey, he notices how the peasants are dying and struggling for survival while there is a Phoenix who can grant eternal life.

More coming soon!

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
A old classic of the medium versus a popular upstart.

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I can’t upload any photos at this time but if you google you can see that the artwork is very old but the detail of the pheonix (my avatar) showcases the flames and the classic style of a vermillion bird.

If you like One Piece you would love Hi no Tori. Ora was inspired not only by the artwork but the conflicts amung humans and the need to obtain the unreachable.

I don’t know about the other series but I’m sure there is a correlation since all mangka have been inspired by Tezuka.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Apologies for the delay.

Overview:
Kimetsu no Yaiba is the tragic tale of two siblings, Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado, who, on one fateful, snowy night, lost everything dear to them and had their entire world turned upside down. Through their adventures, they meet a number of unique characters and fight a number of near fatal battles all in attempt to accomplish their goals; curing Nezuko of her demonic affliction and attaining revenge on the one who was responsible for the deaths of their family.

Art:
The art of Kimestu no Yaiba is unique to say the least. The series changes styles often, with comedic scenes being hilariously drawn off model to emphasize the comedy...Here are examples of the well known "Potato Faces" that the characters have during down time.

To the action scenes being drafted cleanly and dynamically to emphasize action...

Characters:
The characters in this story are amazing. I rarely like protagonists of Shounen, with a select few being passable individuals in my opinion, but Tanjiro is one of the rare exceptions.

The reason I like him? He's a genuinely good guy. Don't let that praise of Mel above fool you, he's a major jerk. A lot of what he does is terrible, but, like a lot of other series with protagonist I don't like, the series will bend over backwards to justify his world view, no matter how wrong they actually are. Tanjiro on the other hand? He's a kind hearted boy who is doing his best to deal with the hand life dealt him and protect his sister and friends. He's literally the opposite of Mel. He doesn't lie, he doesn't molest girls, he doesn't withhold information and trust people, he treats a lot of characters with respect, even when they don't deserve it, he doesn't molest girls, he can channel his frustrations in a healthy way, and he's a good brother. Also, he doesn't molest girls. He's the best example of the pure hearted protagonist, without the series changing the world and people's opinions to suit his world view *cough*Naruto*cough*. He works for it.

Nezuko

Wild card #1. I'll be honest, due to her ailment, her character says nothing for a large majority of the series. But that doesn't mean she doesn't do anything or see any action. Quite the contrary, she's one of the more capable and dangerous individuals in the series. Her character develops in a number of interesting ways, which is impressive given the way she's "limited" to no dialogue.

Zenitsu

Wild card #2. Here's an easy way to describe Zenitsu. Do you read One Piece? You know Cavendish? Imagine if he was a perverted coward. That's Zenitsu. From his first appearance, you wouldn't think he'd be reliable. Hell, he doesn't even realize the strength he holds. But, despite his surface emotions and appearance, he's also a kind person who will put the well being of others before himself.

Inosuke

Wild card #3-#10. Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault. Pig Assault Pig Assault. Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault. Pig? Assault. Pig Assault Pig Assault (Pig Assault), Pig Assault!

Narrative:
The shining aspect of this series; the narrative. The main reason I enjoy this series is it treats it's audience with respect. The narrative is strong, tight, and, most impressively for me, logical. It has yet to twist things to make stuff work out. If it establishes something, it sticks to it. In this series, Demons are an incredible threat, and the highest ranked Demons, The 6 Upper Moons, are said to have lived for centuries and are said to have killed many of the strongest Demon Slayers, The Pillars. That is not a lie.

These are what the Vasto Lorde in Bleach were implied to have been capable of, but weren't. Every fight in this series is won by the skin of their teeth, sometimes with only external and unique circumstances allowing for victory. One arc in particular I consider up their with the likes of Chunnin Exam arc of Naruto, the Soul Society arc of Bleach, and the Chimera Ant arc of HunterXHunter. It's that damn good, in my opinion. Another great aspect of the series is the strong theme of family. It's permeated well throughout the series and it's done nicely. Even villains have a great love for their siblings and family, despite having lost their way for hundreds of years. It treats family as a positive, rather than having an edgy brother who abuses you, but does it out of "love". Or a brother who killed your significant other. Or a father who abandons you by choice. Etc., etc.

This is a lovely series, one that I will hold near and dear to my manga reading heart, along with Toriko. I implore you all, please join us in the Kimetsu no Yaiba thread. It's a wonderful series that deserves more attention than it's currently getting. I'm sure interest will grow once the anime comes out, but I can't wait that long. I need to discuss this series more than I currently do.

Kimetsu no YaibaLast week, I gave a general overview of the series' art, characters, narrative, and theme. This week, we'll delve a bit deeper into the characters and their developments, which means there will slight spoilers, I'm not going to put major spoilers here and I will only be introducing one character beyond the mid point of where the series currently is, so while you may want to tread carefully, you won't be spoiled on anything big.

Protagonists:
Demon Slayer Corps:

The Organization that our protagonists are in is known as the Demon Slayer Corps. This panel basically explains it.

Their swords are made from a rare mineral known as a Nichirin, which absorbs the rays of the sun and gain the unique property to change color depending on it's wielder. Aside from the Sun itself, these are the only blades known to be able to kill demons. The techniques they perform as called "Breaths" or "Breathing" and there are many variants, from Water Breathing to Lighting Breathing to Beast Breathing to Flower Breathing. Each technique is often shown with a "backdrop" of their element to add flair to the fights.

The Prospects

Tanjirou, Zenitsu, and Inosuke are 3 of the 5 Prospects who passed the Final Selection Exam to join the Demon Slayers. Prospects start at the lowest of the low rankings and must train and develop their way up to higher ranks.

Tanjirou's motivation, as I mentioned in the overview, is searching for a cure for his sister, Nezuko. However, there are many things that impede his progress, with the most pressing threat coming from his own allies. Do not think for a second that Nezuko, a demon, is welcomed with open arms into an organization who devotes their lives to killing demons. It is up to both Tanjirou and Nezuko to prove to them that she is not a threat to any human.

Tanjirou's sword style is Water Breathing, which he learned from his teacher, Sakonji. Water Breathing is a technique which focuses on lightness of body, allowing the user to continuously move while fighting. It's a strong technique, but there are moments where Tanjirou feels his body isn't made for it...Along with his swordsmanship, Tanjirou has an incredible sense of smell and has developed it to work in conjunction with his techniques,allowing him to "smell" a "Interval Line", which allows him to become aware of potential weak points in an opponent.

Nezuko's motivation is the protection of her brother. While she cannot speak, her actions give a clear indication of this. There are various times in the series where Tanjirou nearly gets caught of guard, only for Nezuko to come in and smash the threat, sometimes literally. As she progresses through the series, we see how willful she is in her attempts to control her instinctual hunger to eat human flesh, which comes to ahead in interesting ways.

Nezuko's main fighting asset is her incredible strength. While she mainly shows this through her kicks, which can decapitate a demon easily, she also can use her claws for slashing. While she has regenerative abilities, that doesn't mean she can't be damaged, however, should her blood splash on another demon, something interesting happens if she focuses on it...

Zenitsu Agatsuma's motivation is to marry a beautiful woman...at least, on the surface. Internally, Zenitsu's true motivation is to become a strong blade that can protect everyone he cares about. Through his unlucky past, he was scouted by a former Demon Slayer and taken away from his former life. Unfortunately, Zenitsu wasn't a skilled swordsman and couldn't learn his sensei's teaching properly, however that didn't deter his teacher, who saw the potential in young Zenitsu, despite his lack of self esteem and cowardice.
Zenitsu's sword style is Lighting Breathing. Lighting Breathing is basically an Iai technique, which focuses on fast movements and quicks draws. Out of the 6 techniques within Lighting Breathing, Zenitsu only managed to learn one and it is the only thing he can do. However, Zenitsu's teacher didn't fret about this and, like a blade, had him continuously forge this one technique until he reached an incredible level of mastery with it. Who knows how far he'll be able to take this single move...Zenitsu has an incredible sense of hearing, even capable of hearing the difference between demons and humans and whether or not they are strong or weak.

Inosuke's motivation is simple, fight and become stronger. Simple goal for a simple boy. Inosuke's backstory is a tragic one, told in a few panels. His earliest memory is being tossed away by his mother, most likely in an attempt to save him from attacking demons. From then, he raised himself in the wild. Having no teacher, Inosuke somehow found his way to the prospect exam, stole two swords from other prospects, passed, then bounced.

Inosuke's sword style is Beast Breathing, a dual wielding technique which he developed himself. It's a rough technique that uses the jagged edges to saw and rip at it's opponents, as if they were the claws of a beast. His style is used in conjunction with his wild strength and flexibility. Inosuke has an incredible sense of touch. He's able discern the slightest movements in the air, allowing him to find a single target despite being in a wild fight.

The Pillars

The Pillars are the strongest Demons Slayers in the organization. Lead by the charming and mysterious individual known as Oyakata-Sama. As their title implies, they are the ones which mainly support the organization and the potential loss of one is considered a heavy blow to the organization as a whole. These 9 swordpersons are the peak of human condition and each have their own unique methods of fighting and are masters of a technique known as Full Focus Breathing. I'm going to talk about 3 today.

The first Demon Slayer Tanjirou and Nezuko meets and the one who put the two on their current path. Giyuu is the first person to see the unique nature of Nezuko and the one who believes in the siblings' potential and even vouches for them in front of his fellow Pillars along with his and Tanjirou's teacher.

Giyuu's sword style is also Water Breathing, but his use is much more powerful than Tanjirou's. He's even developed his own technique, unique to only him.

The second Pillar Tanjirou meets, Shinobu, while not being seen often, plays a large part in the series. Her mansion is where the the protagonists go to heal when they get injured, which happens a lot. While she respects what Tanjirou and Nezuko is attempting to do, she cannot forgive demons for what they took from her. Despite that, she's rooting for the two of them.

Shinobu's sword style is Insect Breathing. She is the only Pillar unable to physically cut off a demon's head, however, her sword has a unique poison which she can inject within a demons body and break them down from the inside.

The first Pillar Tanjirou participates in a mission with. Rengoku is a passionate and generous person. He is someone who immediately hits it off with all three pillars, especially Tanjirou, due to their like minded sensibilities. His goal is simply protection of the innocent, which he achieves in the most wonderous of ways. His characters is incredibly influential and solidifies the 3 prospects goals to get stronger as well as match the ideals he stands for. His father, a former Pillar, left the organization for personal reasons, which made Rengoku take up the blade, despite his father's lack of support. His character can be considered the heart of the Pillars and someone who even they look to as an example.

Rengoku's sword style is Flame Breathing. Nothing much to say about it, except that it's strong and not to be confused with another style of fighting...

Antagonists:

Demons

The first demon and the one who's responsible for all the tragedy in this series. Muzan embodies the definition of evil. He cares for nothing and nobody. His goals is to find a unique plant which will erase his one weakness, the Sun. He lives multiples lives in an attempt to find this plant, from a family man, to a beautiful woman, to a young child of a famous doctor. He cares nothing for his subordinates nor for the other demons spread by them. They only exist as a means for him to expand his surveillance. He's mostly resides in the background, but Nezuko's unique situation interests him greatly...

Under him are the 6 Upper Moons. As I mentioned, these demons have lived for centuries and have killed and ate multiple Pillars in their long life. Fighting one alone is nigh impossible and guarantees death a vast majority of the time. Along with their enhanced strength and regenerative ability, they each have their own unique fighting style and "magic". While cutting a demon's head off is guaranteed to kill them, the 6 Upper Moons cover for this weakness is a number of unique ways.

Next week...I don't know what I'm going to post about. I'll figure something out. Somebody request something you want to know more about and I'll talk about it.

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
You guys really should check out Kimetsu. It has all you need.

Cool fights:

Likeable cast:

(yeah okay, Zenitsu needs some time getting used to)

A sweet cinnamon roll:

And an interesting world:

Go give it your vote~ Or better yet, starting reading if you haven't already :p

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States

Cool fights:

Likeable cast:

A sweet cinnamon roll:

GIVE ME BACK THE BLOOD I BLED FOR YOU!!!

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I havent read any of those but both are on my watching list, im highly intersted in those 2, kimetsu sounds relly amazing and hi no tori was something i wanted to read for a long time. Im fine with both of them winning this round, i really hesitated but voted for Hi no Tori i feel its somehow underated and Reebi doesnt seem to have a lot of support despite her amazing nomination (sorry for kimetsu :pout)

some little art ♥

some manga panels :

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

Cool fights:

Likeable cast:

A sweet cinnamon roll:

Niichan kept up the good fight for me, thank you.

Reactions: Nii
Status
Not open for further replies.