Josei - Hikari to Tomo ni... ~Jiheishou-ji wo kakaete~ | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Josei Hikari to Tomo ni... ~Jiheishou-ji wo kakaete~

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

Author : Tobe Keiko
Genre : Drama, Slice of Life, Psychological, Josei
Magazine : For Mrs
Synopsis : from Mal

"Born during the sunrise—an auspicious beginning—the Azumas' newborn son is named Hikaru, which means "light." But during one play date, his mother notices that her son is slightly different from the other children. In this alternately heartwarming and bittersweet tale, a young mother tries to cope with both the overwhelming discovery of her child's autism and the trials of raising him while keeping her family together. This is a story that resonates not only for those whose families have been affected by autism, but also for all past, present, and future parents."

(Source: Yen Press)

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I dislike opening threads, especially like this one as i know its very unlikely to interest anyone, but just wanted to give it a little visibility, as i think ithis little gem really deserves more recognition. Im aware also that this topic might not interest people, theres no great plot or anything badass or so, just a mother and her son, a family trying to raise a child with autism. I ve just started it , and love it so far, (ofc dont know how this will end and i hope it will keep that good, but according to reviews, its amazing) I came across this manga by chance, and im interested in this, as in my job im currrently dealing specifically with a deaf child, and at some point i realize that i have hard times to understand him (he can behave so badly sometimes), i feel im lacking empathy and i feel sometimes (no, often actually) powerless. So somehow needed to read something that deals with children with disabily or with challenging behaviour.

The manga is dealing really well with the mother feelings and her relatives too, how she denied at 1st her son's disability, how she feels sometimes so helpless, the guilt she felt about her son's state and how she had to made her son disability accepted. some panels are so impactful.

denial

Her mother in law blaming her for her son behaviour:

things going wrong

but things get fine sometimes too

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So completed this, and i really enjoyed it. Didnt mention earlier but the author died before she ended the manga so its unfinished.
@riki @destiny4ever sorry for the tag, but i know both of you are teachers, so bc it deals a lot with education, im almost convinced that at some point of your career you ll get to deal with an autistic child or a child with another disability if you havent already yet. i think it might interest you.
we ll get to face a child with a disability trying to make it through early education to secondary school, we get to see the best & the worst of educational system and teachers. And how much the family of the child who is struggling for giving him happiness and a normal life.

exples : issues with family :

an amazing teacher talking to a child after she did something wrong (abuse/bully related scene)

But it doesnt deal only with the autistic child but a lot with society issues, like rejection, difference, bully (at school or at work), familly issues, abuse, and each time the mangaka did a nice job both sides of the who re doing wrong.

exple of bullies

the bullied

the bully

I dont know what the story of the author and if the manga is biography or inspired by her own experience or someone she knows, but she knows very well the topic, and she provides a ton of ressources, references etc.

at the end its a really realistic, and relatable manga, sadly i could definitely relate sometimes with some of the situations described in the manga. i think it might be a nice guideline to anyone who has or deal with children, with or without disability, or anyone who is intereted in subjects like rejection/prejudices/differences more generally speaking. It has some nice heartwarming moments and some sad ones, but i think it could be helpful to anyone.

I tried to keep this shorter as possible, lol I really hope some will give a little chance to this lttle gem.