Art - Hoshino's Instagram Account and Discussion Thread | Page 62 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Art Hoshino's Instagram Account and Discussion Thread

capricorn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I saw this but I barely have a clue as to what it means. Is it that she's upset at the animators for conducting changes to her work that she did not authorize in hopes that they would be more popular with fans? That's the impression I am getting but i'm not certain. I hope not,.... they've just barely redeemed themselves with episode 6 really not the best idea to go pissing off the initial creator especially considering that she didn't want this sequal in the first place.
Thinking on it now I wonder if it has something to do with the weird (yaoi esk) artwork that the anime studio released couple days ago with Kanda and Allen. It sounds like she's upset that things like this misrepresent the characters in a distasteful manner. I'm not sure she was really vague but apparently it was done by someone from her studio on request.

Last edited:

Silverwolf442

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
From what I gather that's about right. She's implying that the poster is pandering. And she's not at all happy because she wasn't asked. She saw the poster after it was published, and nobody came to her and asked for approval before misrepresenting her character(s).

So overall, the DGM anime really love to screw Hoshino over. I always said they don't represent her characters that well. And apparently, she feels the same way. She approves and supervises, but they still basically say "Screw it", and do as they please.

Last edited:

NonExisted

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
^You are getting your personal emotion into this

The poster was published in Animage, basically, a fangirl pandering anime magazine. She said she understands the need to please the fan (the manga itself has quite a lot fanservice for female readers) for commercial purpose but she doesn't want that element to completely control the whole thing (you can't bend yourself for the fans, stuff like that), so it's unfortunate. (She did said she is sad and quite dissapointed because she believed the studio understands that as well)

Normally, EVERYTHING related to the series must be sent to the original author before they are published/announced (It's a RULE) so I was surprised seeing some said she didn't know. If the studio didn't send it to Hoshino, they are deep in extreme real trouble

She approves and supervises, but they still basically say "Screw it", and do as they please.
I don't really think Allen having blue eyes is the studio's idea.

Last edited:

fuff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
^You are getting your personal emotion into this

The poster was published in Animage, basically, a fangirl pandering anime magazine. She said she understands the need to please the fan (the manga itself has quite a lot fanservice for female readers) for commercial purpose but she doesn't want that element to completely control the whole thing (you can't bend yourself for the fans, stuff like that), so it's unfortunate. (She did said she is sad and quite dissapointed because she believed the studio understands that as well)

Normally, EVERYTHING related to the series must be sent to the original author before they are published/announced (It's a RULE) so I was surprised seeing some said she didn't know. If the studio didn't send it to Hoshino, they are deep in extreme real trouble

I don't really think Allen having blue eyes is the studio's idea.
does that go for every anime/manga, do u have a source for this?? such as the massive fillers like naruto and dgm first season lol

ya i been reading her comments/insta post but im a bit confused...clearly shes didnt like that yu and allen pic but is it because it looks yaoi? or is it because kanda looks vulnerable and not the badass that we know and love?

Last edited:

capricorn

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
does that go for every anime?? such as the massive fillers like naruto lol

ya i been reading her comments/insta post but im a bit confused...clearly shes didnt like that yu and allen pic but is it because it looks yaoi? or is it because kanda looks vulnerable and not the badass that we know and love?

From what I could understand I think it has to do with that to some lesser degree but I also think a big part of it is that this was conducted by someone who works with her closely and agreed to this without her direct consent. Yes Hoshino may introduce some soft fan-service from time to time (accounting ofcoarse that some of that might actually be completely innocent on her part) but I can understand her not wanting this strong concentration on sex appeal to be the dominant selling point of her series. Maybe whilst not completely against a little tasteful fan-service she perhaps doesn,t want things like that to be the image that people have of her series and its characters, which again reinforces why she might be so upset that she wasn't consulted at all.

Last edited:

fuff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
From what I could understand I think it has to do with that to some lesser degree but I also think a big part of it is that this was conducted by someone who works in her closely to her without her direct consent. Yes Hoshino may introduce some soft fan-service from time to time (accounting ofcoarse that some of that might actually be completely innocent on her part) but I can understand her not wanting this strong concentration on sex appeal to be the dominant selling point of her series. Maybe whilst not completely against a little tasteful fan-service she perhaps doesn,t want things like that to be the image that people have of her series and its characters, which again reinforces why she might be so upset that she wasn't consulted at all.
ah ic that makes sense, i guess that person who did it is def. gonna hear about it! i think she would have hoped it would be something like vol 20s cover where is sexy but not overally sexual

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
From what I could understand I think it has to do with that to some lesser degree but I also think a big part of it is that this was conducted by someone who works with her closely and agreed to this without her direct consent. Yes Hoshino may introduce some soft fan-service from time to time (accounting ofcoarse that some of that might actually be completely innocent on her part) but I can understand her not wanting this strong concentration on sex appeal to be the dominant selling point of her series. Maybe whilst not completely against a little tasteful fan-service she perhaps doesn,t want things like that to be the image that people have of her series and its characters, which again reinforces why she might be so upset that she wasn't consulted at all.
Personally, I think the animator who drew it (there should be a name on the top of the poster but I haven't checked who) either gave in to his/her inner liking image of Kanda and Allen or still inexperienced in pose or thought it would boost the popularity, most likely the later.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Yup, the mainstream destroys stuffs
...this is going to be a huge mess, but Hoshino sure has the brave to speak up

Last edited:

HouD

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Can somone post the link where to find the poster of d gray man that you are talking about and thx u

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam

anyoneforthe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can somone post the link where to find the poster of d gray man that you are talking about and thx u
I think this is the one they are talking about:

I can understand why Hoshino is upset by it. Its really cliche.

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
OMG!!!! this poster fu****g sucks!! She is completely right on speaking up if she doesn't approve it. And to be honest, it's just mischaracterization and fan service. I'm so frustrated that they would make this poster when the other ones have been good... Hope she speaks out more and don't get her insta closed as she said it could happen

HouD

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Reading the translation of what Sensei said in her instagram makes me so sad T_T. when I saw the picture I was a little choked too. this is absolutly not the Kanda we khow (a weak sexy pose and showing his abs too^^) and Allen looks weird also (specially the nose).
The author is working hard on her manga and is trying to protect it maybe from becoming one of these ordinary projects that are only after improving sells.
The simplicity and uniqueness of D gray man's characters and plot are , for me, what makes the manga a masterpiece. ;)

MSofAofCOCA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I have to say that it's not too surprising that Hoshino would be unhappy with the poster. She's spent a lot of time wrestling with her editors/publisher about the way she wanted the story and characters to go. Most relevant example (iirc) would be not allowing Lenalee to go down the fan-service route (she yielded on giving Lenalee long hair, but refused to do panty shots). Hallow!Lenalee is definitely toeing the line though - she might've not been sexualized in this adaptation, but she sure as hell lost a huge chunk of her personality.

That poster above is complete fanservice - there's nothing else to it. The whole focus is on Kanda's abs and lower stomach, with Allen behind him for the yaoi implication. When Hoshino panders or treads into romantic territory, she keeps it either in character or points out that it would be ooc in any other situation. Take volume 20(?) cover for example - Allen is striking a sexy pose, but the omake at the end points out exactly how ooc it would be for him in general, money aside. Bak's infatuation for Lenalee is also played mostly for laughs - it's not like he creeps on her or anything. Cross's womanization is the same - his treatment of women is part of his character, but it never reaches creeper territory. For the men, shirtless scenes are also kept direct and with minimal emphasis. Timothy doing his boob-grab trick on Emilia and Lenalee are literally the only times I recall there having been anything so... direct.

This mess makes it obvious that there are people involved with the project that would like to see something more juicy from the series. I just hope all parties can reconcile and come to understand each other.

I do appreciate that she's able to draw the line between fan-interpretations and staff screwing with the characters while stamping her name on it.

Dlanor_A.Knox

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
The poster made me laugh hahaha
Allen looks like pinnocio hihi

The staff member who made that missed his/her goal though,
It's more comical than it it's sexy....

fuff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, I have to say that it's not too surprising that Hoshino would be unhappy with the poster. She's spent a lot of time wrestling with her editors/publisher about the way she wanted the story and characters to go. Most relevant example (iirc) would be not allowing Lenalee to go down the fan-service route (she yielded on giving Lenalee long hair, but refused to do panty shots). Hallow!Lenalee is definitely toeing the line though - she might've not been sexualized in this adaptation, but she sure as hell lost a huge chunk of her personality.

That poster above is complete fanservice - there's nothing else to it. The whole focus is on Kanda's abs and lower stomach, with Allen behind him for the yaoi implication. When Hoshino panders or treads into romantic territory, she keeps it either in character or points out that it would be ooc in any other situation. Take volume 20(?) cover for example - Allen is striking a sexy pose, but the omake at the end points out exactly how ooc it would be for him in general, money aside. Bak's infatuation for Lenalee is also played mostly for laughs - it's not like he creeps on her or anything. Cross's womanization is the same - his treatment of women is part of his character, but it never reaches creeper territory. For the men, shirtless scenes are also kept direct and with minimal emphasis. Timothy doing his boob-grab trick on Emilia and Lenalee are literally the only times I recall there having been anything so... direct.

This mess makes it obvious that there are people involved with the project that would like to see something more juicy from the series. I just hope all parties can reconcile and come to understand each other.

I do appreciate that she's able to draw the line between fan-interpretations and staff screwing with the characters while stamping her name on it.
well there has been drawings of road where shes hugging allen and her outift is rather short
http://s62.photobucket.com/user/sakuraxsyaoran/media/jumpsq3rdanniversarypri.jpg.html
im a fan of roadxallen so i dont mind it tbh but i think its a bit weird that kanda showing abs is being problematic, tho the picture does give off a yoai vibe and kanda's legs look messed up/feminine which is what i dont like about the poster and def, the way allen is drawn (nose) and looking at kanda body is off putting.

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
well there has been drawings of road where shes hugging allen and her outift is rather short
http://s62.photobucket.com/user/sakuraxsyaoran/media/jumpsq3rdanniversarypri.jpg.html
im a fan of roadxallen so i dont mind it tbh but i think its a bit weird that kanda showing abs is being problematic, tho the picture does give off a yoai vibe and kanda's legs look messed up/feminine which is what i dont like about the poster and def, the way allen is drawn (nose) and looking at kanda body is off putting.
yeah but the fact is: that is Road's clothes and Hoshino (the autor herself) drew her like that. Kanda doesn't wear the poster's clothes like that in any scene/page of the manga and the concept of the poster didn't get trough Hoshino's approval. Road always had short skirts, that doesn't mean is for fan service

Allen's nose looks terrible T_T

Silverwolf442

Reaction score
Country
United States
yeah but the fact is: that is Road's clothes and Hoshino (the autor herself) drew her like that. Kanda doesn't wear the poster's clothes like that in any scene/page of the manga and the concept of the poster didn't get trough Hoshino's approval. Road always had short skirts, that doesn't mean is for fan service
Allen's nose looks terrible T_T
Agreed. It seemed very ooc for Kanda. I mean, had the poster fanserviced possibly Cyril, Tyki, or even Cross, she may not have been too upset, depending on how it's done (not too over the top / risque), because those are characters that are a bit.."flirtatious" / open, anyhow.

Like something like this.

If this was official art, then I don't think Hoshino would be too upset. We see a little bit of Lavi's chest, and Cross' abs. But nothing overly sexual, or weird with it -like the poster than even some Kanda fangirls didn't enjoy and felt awkward. This could still be seen as fanservice. It can be tastefully done, with Hoshi shrugging it off.

But the Kanda poster was just too obvious in pandering, then the fact she doesn't see that within his characterization adds to the disappointment. So they were pandering a bit to make sales, and they used a character that wouldn't even be in that position.

Last edited:

fuff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Agreed. It seemed very ooc for Kanda. I mean, had the poster fanserviced possibly Cyril, Tyki, or even Cross, she may not have been too upset, depending on how it's done (not too over the top / risque), because those are characters that are a bit.."flirtatious" / open, anyhow.

Like something like this.

If this was official art, then I don't think Hoshino would be too upset. We see a little bit of Lavi's chest, and Cross' abs. But nothing overly sexual, or weird with it -like the poster than even some Kanda fangirls didn't enjoy and felt awkward. This could still be seen as fanservice. It can be tastefully done, with Hoshi shrugging it off.

But the Kanda poster was just too obvious in pandering, then the fact she doesn't see that within his characterization adds to the disappointment. So they were pandering a bit to make sells, and they used a character that wouldn't even be in that position.
ya and that kanda poster had a hardcore yullen vibe and i think thats something hoshino doesnt want to give off, maybe yulma would have been different perhaps?! :/

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
does that go for every anime/manga, do u have a source for this?? such as the massive fillers like naruto and dgm first season lol
Shirobako
The first anime of DGM has the same problem. In NHK's Hallow interview, the director said Hoshino couldn't do anything about the previous anime due to her huge workload at the time

neah

Reaction score
Country
United States

Her latested post basically says she wants to leave Instagram