Question - How can AFO and the original OFA feel each other? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question How can AFO and the original OFA feel each other?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
This is something that is kinda bothering me... When midoriya had visions of AFO and his brother we got to see that AFO could basically feel his brother within OFA. Isn't this strange? BNHA so far doesn't have magic or something to that effect, most of what is going on is most easily explained by quirks. So what is the significance of this bit? Are the quirks connected so directly that users can feel each other out? Or is there perhaps something else going on here?

DemonKing888

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well they are both Brothers who's quirks transcends their mortal bodies. That much is proven between the two brothers.

We don't know the age gap between AFO and his brother but what are the odds that they are twins.

One twin the older one who's beefier and healthy had a quirk that steals and transfer quirks, while the young one who was weak and sickly only got a transfer quirk.

Them being twins also makes it easier to explain because twins in fiction usually have a psychic connection.

The other reason is more simple but also complicated we don't know were the stockpile quirk came from but we can assume it came from AFO himself, if this is the case AFO could be considered vestige 0, while the younger brother is considered vestige 1 within the quirk.

Finally we still have alot of mystery between the two quirks, both AFO and OFA are different from every other quirk in the story, the fact that each has some creepy sentient conscious inside it is enough. It still hasn't been explained if a vestige holds someone soul or if the quirk is just mimicking a person's personality which thinking about it now is even more creepy.

Pr0teu5

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The other reason is more simple but also complicated we don't know were the stockpile quirk came from but we can assume it came from AFO himself, if this is the case AFO could be considered vestige 0, while the younger brother is considered vestige 1 within the quirk.
I was going to say the same thing. It think this is the right answer. The stockpile quirk has to be more complicated thank we think, and it is the most important aspect of OFA.

Basically, the stockpile quirk probably stores part of the plaster user’s power as the vestiges along with their consciousness.

Since AFO had the stockpile quirk and passed it one. He is successor 0 and all OFA subsequent successors are connected to him and can interact with his mind. In the same way he an interact will all of the OFA successors as well.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well they are both Brothers who's quirks transcends their mortal bodies. That much is proven between the two brothers.

We don't know the age gap between AFO and his brother but what are the odds that they are twins.

One twin the older one who's beefier and healthy had a quirk that steals and transfer quirks, while the young one who was weak and sickly only got a transfer quirk.

Them being twins also makes it easier to explain because twins in fiction usually have a psychic connection.

Finally we still have alot of mystery between the two quirks, both AFO and OFA are different from every other quirk in the story, the fact that each has some creepy sentient conscious inside it is enough. It still hasn't been explained if a vestige holds someone soul or if the quirk is just mimicking a person's personality which thinking about it now is even more creepy.
Depends with what you mean with transcend their mortal bodies.... AFO lived for a long time because he got a quirk that doubled his lifespan. Add to that AFO has not exactly transcended his mortal body. He simply passed it along the same way any other quirk he steals can be passed along. OFA has the power to transfer to new hosts and previous holders sort of live within it.

As for twins... twins with entirely different bone structures and builds? Doesn't exactly add up unless AFO used a quirk to change his appearance. Add to that, if they were twins... wouldn't they have identical quirks? Maybe its not the case but you'd think identical twins would have identical quirks since they have identical dna.

One theory I've been thinking about... is that perhaps OFA has also renmants of AFO within it. AFO gave his brother a stockpile quirk which merged with his brother's quirk to be passed on to others. but that only means that for a short time the base on OFA was within AFO... Meaning that it is possible AFO still lives, faintly and subtly, within OFA...

I am not sure its the case that AFO has some form of sentience within it.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depends with what you mean with transcend their mortal bodies.... AFO lived for a long time because he got a quirk that doubled his lifespan. Add to that AFO has not exactly transcended his mortal body. He simply passed it along the same way any other quirk he steals can be passed along. OFA has the power to transfer to new hosts and previous holders sort of live within it.

As for twins... twins with entirely different bone structures and builds? Doesn't exactly add up unless AFO used a quirk to change his appearance. Add to that, if they were twins... wouldn't they have identical quirks? Maybe its not the case but you'd think identical twins would have identical quirks since they have identical dna.

One theory I've been thinking about... is that perhaps OFA has also renmants of AFO within it. AFO gave his brother a stockpile quirk which merged with his brother's quirk to be passed on to others. but that only means that for a short time the base on OFA was within AFO... Meaning that it is possible AFO still lives, faintly and subtly, within OFA...

I am not sure its the case that AFO has some form of sentience within it.
fraternal twins look different from identical twins, so that's a thing, now if they are identical twins it can be explained that one was sickly.

It could just be the stockpile quirk that connects them or it could just simply be cause they are brothers.

What I mean by transcending is the fact that the quirks can live on without the user being alive, and as shown in both Deku and Shigaraki's minds the original users are inside of them. Thats pretty transcended to me.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
fraternal twins look different from identical twins, so that's a thing, now if they are identical twins it can be explained that one was sickly.

It could just be the stockpile quirk that connects them or it could just simply be cause they are brothers.

What I mean by transcending is the fact that the quirks can live on without the user being alive, and as shown in both Deku and Shigaraki's minds the original users are inside of them. Thats pretty transcended to me.
Sure, but there is nothing that would connect them like that as fraternal twins are not different from regular brothers. They shared a womb but not dna... And its not like other brothers in this series are connected just because.

But... all quirks can do that. We know that quirks can be harvested from corpses and plenty of the quirks used by AFO or ujiko belong to long dead people. Any quirk that is removed from its owner transcends pretty much in the context you are suggesting here.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure, but there is nothing that would connect them like that as fraternal twins are not different from regular brothers. They shared a womb but not dna... And its not like other brothers in this series are connected just because.

But... all quirks can do that. We know that quirks can be harvested from corpses and plenty of the quirks used by AFO or ujiko belong to long dead people. Any quirk that is removed from its owner transcends pretty much in the context you are suggesting here.
But the quirks stolen don't seem to hold any consciousness from what has been shown so far.

This could because of the stockpile quirk, maybe it holds the user's consciousness.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
But the quirks stolen don't seem to hold any consciousness from what has been shown so far.

This could because of the stockpile quirk, maybe it holds the user's consciousness.
And... nothing we have seen suggests AFO has a consciousness of its own. Only OFA exhibits some form of consciousness via apparently copies of previous holders.

TommyBoy

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
It's seems like there is more to afo and ofa than what was previously thought. I always thought it was weird that ofa passes it self on and that's it, it now seems like there is more to afo. Maybe they have the same quirk but can use it in different ways like the iida family quirk engine.

It could also be that they have something to do with the quirk singularity theory. Afo did side with the person who thought of it and ofa is becoming more uncontrollable.

I honestly don't have a clue

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
It's seems like there is more to afo and ofa than what was previously thought. I always thought it was weird that ofa passes it self on and that's it, it now seems like there is more to afo. Maybe they have the same quirk but can use it in different ways like the iida family quirk engine.

It could also be that they have something to do with the quirk singularity theory. Afo did side with the person who thought of it and ofa is becoming more uncontrollable.

I honestly don't have a clue
It could well be that there is more to OFA and AFO though I don't think they are the same quirk. AFO does not seem to have the capacity to simply stockpile power and meanwhile OFA does not exhibit the capacity to take or give quirks so far.

AFO did show interest in the singularity though I still don't get how it affected him one way or the other. He did use multiple quirks but the singularity is about quirks over generations becoming more ambiguous and dangerous to users. The series has not yet shown how this is relevant for AFO who could give and take quirks at his convenience and use them simultaneously. Maybe if he could grab two quirks and combine them it'd be relevant to him but outside of kurogiri the series does not evidence this yet. In context, the singularity hypothesis remains mostly unfounded to this day.

Even if we look at OFA... what was dangerous about it is not the quirks within it but rather the sheer amount of stockpiled raw power. And that only because midoriya was unable to handle the power, not because it was inherently and exclusively dangerous. In that context, that OFA can be controlled with mere training is an argument against the hypothesis...

Franckie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I believe there are two reasons why AFO and OFA are connected with each other. One involves the brother's unnamed transference Quirk. It assimilates whatever Quirk it is exposed to. The other is that AFO inserts a part of itself whenever a Quirk is forcibly implanted into another person. Thus, the two Quirks are forever bound to one another because of their unique properties.

KingAzureRequiem

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Because plot says so because the depth between AFO and OFA users conflict with each other is about as deep as puddle of water. It's not like it possible to develop the relation any the way.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
After the reveal of Nighteye's Quirk it was pretty clear to me that Quirks are pretty much like magic. Yes, there are some explanations here and there, but trying to rationalize everything won't do you any good.

I believe there are two reasons why AFO and OFA are connected with each other. One involves the brother's unnamed transference Quirk. It assimilates whatever Quirk it is exposed to. The other is that AFO inserts a part of itself whenever a Quirk is forcibly implanted into another person. Thus, the two Quirks are forever bound to one another because of their unique properties.
I had a similar thought.

Thatoneanimefan

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Because plot says so because the depth between AFO and OFA users conflict with each other is about as deep as puddle of water. It's not like it possible to develop the relation any the way.
You not knowing the answer or explanation to something =/= “Because plot says so”
That’s not how storytelling works, bud.
If you could figure out everything instantly, there would be no such thing as mystery.

Also, you not knowing the full depth of the conflict between AFO/OFA =/= “As deep as a puddle of water”
I’m pretty sure that 100+ years of AFO fighting OFA users, would mean there is a massive depth to this conflict, and not to mention the stuff we already do know.

KingAzureRequiem

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
You not knowing the answer or explanation to something =/= “Because plot says so”
That’s not how storytelling works, bud.
If you could figure out everything instantly, there would be no such thing as mystery.

Also, you not knowing the full depth of the conflict between AFO/OFA =/= “As deep as a puddle of water”
I’m pretty sure that 100+ years of AFO fighting OFA users, would mean there is a massive depth to this conflict, and not to mention the stuff we already do know.
What is know about the AFO/OFA is that the the OFA holders were all defeated with relative ease and never had time to properly chose a successor. With how AFO proudly calls himself a demon lord and shigaraki goal is just to destroy stuff he doesn't like it safe to say the conflict is black and white.

Thatoneanimefan

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
What is know about the AFO/OFA is that the the OFA holders were all defeated with relative ease and never had time to properly chose a successor. With how AFO proudly calls himself a demon lord and shigaraki goal is just to destroy stuff he doesn't like it safe to say the conflict is black and white.
Yeah, refusing to acknowledge everything that we DON’T know, yet give the simplified version that intentionally doesn’t give the whole story.

You’re completely oversimplifying AFO and Tomura Shigarakis motives here to a laughable extent. AFO, wasn’t just a “demon lord”, he wanted to control the world by taking advantage of the chaos and made them his personal army by appearing to help them to shape the new world in his own way.

Tomura Shigaraki wants to destroy the hypocritical hero society that abandoned him when he was in need and essentially creating him because of it, and profit of violence to those that don’t fit into society.

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Put me down for the Shigaraki's being twins. I don't think there's anything special about the stockpile quirk, just the healthier Older Brother got the full AFO quirk while his weaker Younger Brother got only a piece of it.

As for why their quirks are so powerful, I think it has something to do with everyone with white hair and red eyes having special quirks. Call it a mutation or what have you, but it seems everyone with that combination of hair and eyes has insanely powerful quirks. BUT, that's assuming the Shigaraki's have red eyes. That's why I can't wait for the next season to come out.

As for why AFO gave his brother a stockpile quirk, it's hard to say, but for now I'm willing to believe either AFO reasoned his brother had something or he stole a quirk that could detect quirks and knew something was up. I wouldn't be surprised AFO being unable to steal it would also pique his interest and would want to learn more. Again, this is all basic speculation.

Now, what really has me interested is AFO's obsession with OFA and whether or not he planned the creation of AFO from the very start. Was his endgame always to let it build in power then find a way to steal it once he's satisfied it's strong enough? Could all his interest in quirk singularity be about whether he can control OFA after he finally gains it?

Honestly, If AFO really wanted to stamp out OFA, he'd have done it looong ago. It's even implied he's the one who kills the Users. You can't tell me he severely injures them and just walks away knowing they can pass the quirk to anyone who happens upon them before they die. He's wanted to get his claws on OFA since the beginning.

KingAzureRequiem

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Yeah, refusing to acknowledge everything that we DON’T know, yet give the simplified version that intentionally doesn’t give the whole story.

You’re completely oversimplifying AFO and Tomura Shigarakis motives here to a laughable extent. AFO, wasn’t just a “demon lord”, he wanted to control the world by taking advantage of the chaos and made them his personal army by appearing to help them to shape the new world in his own way.

Tomura Shigaraki wants to destroy the hypocritical hero society that abandoned him when he was in need and essentially creating him because of it, and profit of violence to those that don’t fit into society.
Seriously, Shigaraki is just a power hungry lunatic that just wants to destroy what he doesn't like. Society didn't abandon him and even if it did that just his excuse and he certainly isn't trying find a place for misfits to belong.

paulbee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Guys, AFO gave his brother the power stockpiling Quirk, not the other way round. Hope I am not misconstruing the argument completely.

The power of a quirk to self transfer from person to person was always the little brother's quirk's ability.I think One far all gradually became strong enough after merging with the stockpiling quirk, to the extent that it then became able to contain a part of a host's soul and transfer that soul portion to the next host along with it.