How did rod become that huge titan? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

How did rod become that huge titan?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Recently we have learned a fair bit about titans and their nature. However one thing that still does not fit is rod's titan form.

Right now we know there are a total of 9 titan shifters and several of them have unique traits or abilities. You have the armored titan that is naturally armored, you have the jaws titan that has a big ass jaw, the colossal titan that is, well colossal. The author is not very creative here clearly as rather than names that is just what they are.... Kinda like naming a dog, dog.

In any case, we also learn how titan powers are transmitted. You basically turn into a titan and have to devour a shifter's spine.

From this, we can also speculate on where the serums that grant armor and whatnot come from. Basically, the serum comes from other shifter's spines. Which is why the armor serum eren took was labeled armor titan. From that we can conclude something else, you can make shifters with new traits by simply giving them the spinal fluid of other titans.

Now, rod clearly messed up when he made his own titan. It was slow, constantly on fire and overall impractical. Sure, it was a pain to deal with but nothing more.

So, if making a titan basically requires the serum which comes from shifters and you can combine them to create more powerful titans. it stands to reason rod's titan was the result of multiple serums being combined. Now, we know the following titans:
  • Progenitor titan
  • attack titan
  • female titan
  • colossal titan
  • armored titan
  • ymir's titan
  • beast titan
  • jaws titan
  • cartman
Which is basically all of the shifters that exist. If we assume that rod made his titan by combining titans to make an insanely powerful one, then what combination did he use to make such a monstrosity? If that is not how the process works then how exactly did he make such a monstrosity?

Eigengrau

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
The serum that Rod took, and the one he wanted to give to Historia, was labeled "Strongest" = Colossal-type one, strongest as in "size", I guess.

We know that the Colossal Titan is a power, but we know that there's also Mindless Colossal Titans. So what makes the Colossal Titan special? The steam thing + user being able to retain intelligence, I guess.

Rod became a Mindless Colossal Titan, but a messed up one. Also, he wasn't on fire, it was his surroundings that would catch on fire due to the steam coming from his body or whatever it was.

You can't really make "new shifters", but you can, in theory, copy/paste some abilties, which you will inherit as long as you're already a shifter, but so far it seems that the only ability that has been passed on like that was the Armor one.

Rod only had 3 serums:

- "Normal" = the one Kenny stole/gave to Levi/was given to Armin;
- "Strongest" = the Colossal-type one that Rod took;
- "Armor" = made to boost up a Shifter's abilities.

The first 2 serums are only meant to define your body mass I believe, while the armor one would only have effect on you if you were already a shifter to begin with.

That's how I think it goes.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I always thought Rod directly consuming the serum had resulted in being an abnormal Titan of 120 m.

Now these serums give special ability to the shifters which is quiet unlike the 9 Titans.As for Example Eren's Titan form has gained hardening ability,though it is not like the Armored Titan whose whole body is covered with armour plates.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The serum that Rod took, and the one he wanted to give to Historia, was labeled "Strongest" = Colossal-type one, strongest as in "size", I guess.

We know that the Colossal Titan is a power, but we know that there's also Mindless Colossal Titans. So what makes the Colossal Titan special? The steam thing + user being able to retain intelligence, I guess.

Rod became a Mindless Colossal Titan, but a messed up one. Also, he wasn't on fire, it was his surroundings that would catch on fire due to the steam coming from his body or whatever it was.

You can't really make "new shifters", but you can, in theory, copy/paste some abilties, which you will inherit as long as you're already a shifter, but so far it seems that the only ability that has been passed on like that was the Armor one.

Rod only had 3 serums:

The first 2 serums are only meant to define your body mass I believe, while the armor one would only have effect on you if you were already a shifter to begin with.

Well, the bit about how he consumed the serum is the closest thing we have to an hypothesis on this. However the mixture itself resulting in a titan this huge is just weird. Colossal + normal = HUGE COLOSSAL is not a very intuitive scenario to put it mildly.

I don't think the manga showed exactly how many and which serums he had.

Quick6r

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I always thought Rod directly consuming the serum had resulted in being an abnormal Titan of 120 m.

Now these serums give special ability to the shifters which is quiet unlike the 9 Titans.As for Example Eren's Titan form has gained hardening ability,though it is not like the Armored Titan whose whole body is covered with armour plates.
I have to agree here. Rod's titan form was severely disfigured due to his method of absorbing that particular serum. He simply ate it, I think that alone was the reason, and if he had injected himself per usual he would've been a mindless colossal titan. Even in the flashbacks, we see the Marley soldiers inject the exiled Elodians with the titan serum, if simply eating the serum was also practical i'm sure we would've seen someone else become a titan by that method already.

Also, it's strange to see how much these titan powers are studied and explained through science in the manga. I think that may point toward titan origins coming from something less mystical and more methodical.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
I have to agree here. Rod's titan form was severely disfigured due to his method of absorbing that particular serum. He simply ate it, I think that alone was the reason, and if he had injected himself per usual he would've been a mindless colossal titan. Even in the flashbacks, we see the Marley soldiers inject the exiled Elodians with the titan serum, if simply eating the serum was also practical i'm sure we would've seen someone else become a titan by that method already.

Also, it's strange to see how much these titan powers are studied and explained through science in the manga. I think that may point toward titan origins coming from something less mystical and more methodical.
I think as the serum is injected through the back of the neck it gets mixed up with blood and create some form of controlled reaction throughout the body.

But as Rod directly consumed it,there was some form of uncontrolled reaction-not following the pattern.

scandalous'

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Suriname
While I don't have much to add on the first post. I'd like to point out that we've only seen 8 titan shifters so far. The 9th titan shifter is still unknown.

You've listed Ymir's titan and Galliard's titan (jaw) as two separate titans while they are actually one and the same.

Last edited:

Gessekai

Reaction score
Country
United States
While I don't have much to add on the first post. I'd like to point out that we've only seen 8 titan shifters so far. The 9th titan shifter is still unknown.

You've listed Ymir's titan and Galliard's titan (jaw) as two separate titans while they are actually one and the same.
That's what I don't understand. Isn't this assuming that Galliard wasn't a shifter before and gained the shifter status after consuming Ymir? Though, Ymir didn't have the same powerful jaw trait that Galliard's titan has. I reckon that "Jaws" is an original titan shifter characteristic, being a more specialized trait, so why didn't Ymir have this power before?

My only guess is that since we know that shifters can hold multiple titan abilities (since Eren holds both the Attack titan and Founder Titan) then Galliard might have already been a titan shifter prior to consuming Ymir (one with the powerful jaw characteristic) and as result of acquiring Ymir's titan, he gained her agility, since he's stated to be very fast. In that case, all 9 titans have been shown. Furthermore, in a recent Reiner flashback, Annie, Bertolt, Reiner, Marcel, and Galliard are all together. The odd one out would be Galliard if he wasn't a shifter, and he doesn't seem new to being a shifter given his experience in the recent battle. So it would line up, in my opinion. Though, I might not be understanding the situation correctly or how titan shifter abilities are transferred (I marathon'd the whole manga from the beginning yesterday). Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
That's what I don't understand. Isn't this assuming that Galliard wasn't a shifter before and gained the shifter status after consuming Ymir? Though, Ymir didn't have the same powerful jaw trait that Galliard's titan has. I reckon that "Jaws" is an original titan shifter characteristic, being a more specialized trait, so why didn't Ymir have this power before?

My only guess is that since we know that shifters can hold multiple titan abilities (since Eren holds both the Attack titan and Founder Titan) then Galliard might have already been a titan shifter prior to consuming Ymir (one with the powerful jaw characteristic) and as result of acquiring Ymir's titan, he gained her agility, since he's stated to be very fast. In that case, all 9 titans have been shown. Furthermore, in a recent Reiner flashback, Annie, Bertolt, Reiner, Marcel, and Galliard are all together. The odd one out would be Galliard if he wasn't a shifter, and he doesn't seem new to being a shifter given his experience in the recent battle. So it would line up, in my opinion. Though, I might not be understanding the situation correctly or how titan shifter abilities are transferred (I marathon'd the whole manga from the beginning yesterday). Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything.
Ymir too has shown the ability of biting though not on the level of Galliard.Remember how she fought the Titans in Utgard Castle.She bit of their napes.

Gessekai

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ymir too has shown the ability of biting though not on the level of Galliard.Remember how she fought the Titans in Utgard Castle.She bit of their napes.
Yeah, it seems like she has the sharp teeth, though she doesn't have the Cog-like mouth. Maybe perhaps it's just a personal trait? Like the way Eren has no flesh on his jaw, though his father and Krueger did. Though, I'm leaning more on the side that it isn't.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Yeah, it seems like she has the sharp teeth, though she doesn't have the Cog-like mouth. Maybe perhaps it's just a personal trait? Like the way Eren has no flesh on his jaw, though his father and Krueger did. Though, I'm leaning more on the side that it isn't.
Galliard's mouth piece/hardened fingers is probably thanks to an "Armor" buff that he got on top of the Jaws, just like the bottle that Eren consumed, and that would explain why there are obvious differences between Ymir and Galliard.

Gessekai

Reaction score
Country
United States
Galliard's mouth piece/hardened fingers is probably thanks to an "Armor" buff that he got on top of the Jaws, just like the bottle that Eren consumed, and that would explain why there are obvious differences between Ymir and Galliard.
Maybe. But if that were the case, then wouldn't the hardening be at will, similar to Eren? But assuming he didn't do it offscreen, his face seems to be part of his titan naturally, since there is hair growing out of it.

But maybe there's the possibility that the "armor" bottle randomly grants permanent armor, similar to the Armored Titan, or the ability to harden at will. I guess there's no way to tell unless they specifically tell us.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
I think it has to do with their Gender.Most Female Titans are shorter than male one's and probably weaker also.

Like Freida's Titan form was only 13 M.

scandalous'

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Suriname

While I understand where you're coming from, it was clearly stated in the latest chapter that Galliard and Ymir share the same Jaw shifter power.

http://readms.net/r/attack_on_titan/093/4222/

This page explains and shows that Marcel was the original jaw shifter when he was eaten by Ymir. Galliard in return then ate Ymir, thus showing they are one and the same.

Not only that, it wouldn't make sense for Marley to let Galliard eat Ymir had he already been a shifter. It would've made more sense to add another Titan to their forces than have one person hold two. He also states that Reiner was chosen over him to partake in the titan program and ultimately the island mission. You can draw a fair conclusion from this that he wasn't chosen until his brother's power was returned to Marley. Also Eren holding two powers is mere coincidence having inherited both from his father.

Last edited:

Gessekai

Reaction score
Country
United States
While I understand where you're coming from, it was clearly stated in the latest chapter that Galliard and Ymir share the same Jaw shifter power.

http://readms.net/r/attack_on_titan/093/4222/

This page explains and shows that Marcel was the original jaw shifter when he was eaten by Ymir. Galliard in return then ate Ymir, thus showing they are one and the same.

Not only that, it wouldn't make sense for Marley to let Galliard eat Ymir had he already been a shifter. It would've made more sense to add another Titan to their forces than have one person hold two. He also states that Reiner was chosen over him to partake in the titan program and ultimately the island mission. You can draw a fair conclusion from this that he wasn't chosen until his brother's power was returned to Marley. Also Eren holding two powers is mere coincidence having inherited both from his father.
Ahh, thank you. I knew I had to be missing something that was clearly stated.

ExtremiS

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Thailand

Rod only had 3 serums:

rod probably have more than 3 bottles of titan serum since historia asid that all of the other bottles were gone/destroyed in the chaos.

if the marley know how to buff their shifters, why wont they buffed all of them? like colossal titan that can harden? i dont think it's a buffed for galliard, probably his natural form.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
if the marley know how to buff their shifters, why wont they buffed all of them? like colossal titan that can harden? i dont think it's a buffed for galliard, probably his natural form.
It's useless to make the Colossal Titan harden: it would make it heavier, and the armor would probably prevent the steam from coming out. But for all we know the Colossal could've had armor, too, but he never showed it.

ExtremiS

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
It's useless to make the Colossal Titan harden: it would make it heavier, and the armor would probably prevent the steam from coming out. But for all we know the Colossal could've had armor, too, but he never showed it.
yeah, Harden colossal titan would be perfect to shield other marley shifter from the union ship's canon but the ability probably useless against primitive walldian.