School - How do you define the term "Hero" ? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

School How do you define the term "Hero" ?

NoData

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
First of all, it my first thread so please have mercy with me and
and if its in the wrong area, please move it :p (was unsure if here or "General World Topics ")

The title should give a clear idea what this is about, but of course there is a ulterior motive.

First: I' ve got final exams coming up and part of it is a presentationexam.
My topic is "Hero and the the term hero in (german) literature"
For those interested: My main focus will be on "Siegfried" (teachers choice).

Second: Kinda interested what opions other people have ;) (otherwise I wouldn't have thought about this topic at all)

SO for that i wanted to ask you Guys, what exactly are your thoughts on that?

What is a hero? role models? fiction?
What can a hero do or accomplish
Characterattributes? features? -> strong, smart and so on...
What makes a Hero a Hero?

Any examples in history you can think of?
Heros today?
Hero on different levels and comparing? literature (novels, manga:p,...), movie, video games:blink

I hope you get what mean ;)

I am grateful for any help in form of discussion, examples and experiences.
And also hope you find this topic interesting.

soDeq05

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
in my opinion, hero is a person who is admired by many for his noble qualities or his bravery.

Dive

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Heroes exist today. They don't even have to be a crusader for peace and equality. A hero is someone that you admire and look up to: someone who has made a positive impact on your life. So yes, someone like Stalin or Hitler can technically be a hero to someone.

I have a personal hero, and that's my business teacher from high school. He is able to live his life however he wants because he is financially secure. He worked hard to make his fortune, and now he's able to comfortably do whatever is he wants (he traded successful small businesses for teaching...not too many people would do that), and he's not even 40 yet (and he's been teaching for about 5 years. So he stopped small business around his early 30's). He never once saved my life, saved the lives of others, but he made a positive impact on me, that it is possible to make a strong living and reach that self-actualization point in your life. I've never really known someone like that until I met him, and I like seeing that it is possible, and it's something I want to strive for myself.

<.Haruka.>

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
A hero for me is someone you look upto, a role-model perhaps that you admire because of great things that he/she had done for humanity.
He/she may be a smart, talented or awesome person or just a simple person who is out to help someone even in just on small good deeds.
There are a lot of heroes who came out in different era (so I can't name them all :amuse) but I mostly admire people who had made discoveries (like those who had won the Nobel prizes and even those who are infamous) and also my teachers because they
contributed in helping in the society by helping out people by seeking & imparting knowledge and making lives a little bit more easier or longer...

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
A hero is someone who proved great courage in an attempt of doing something altruistic to me.
Like, for examples:
-become adrift from the established culture
-doing something controversial (focussed on the effect though, not on the attempt of catching medial attention)
-risking the own life
In either way, a person trying to catch the attention of media usually is not heroic but pretty usual these days and often connected to a lust for fame. Which means that most heroes are unknown to broad society.

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
What makes a Hero a Hero?
A hero is someone who has completely shown bravery and fortitude despite success or failure. In fact, a hero is MORE of a hero if he or she was able to stand head-up despite the failures received.

Characteristics:
Definitely brave. A person who continues his duties despite difficulties and failures.

Literary figures of heroes:
I already forgot my World Literature, sorry.

Historical figures of heroes:
Well, for Filipinos, we have Dr. Jose P. Rizal who freed our country, Philippines, from Spanish colonizers through bloodless means (pen and paper). He is our national hero after all. Don't know if you're interested in that, though?

Edit: You could add Dante as figure for heroes.

Last edited by a moderator:

p1xel

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hero is a brave one who saves weaker and sacrifices for them. This is a hero for me. In shonen mangas main characters are heroes:P

peterbrowns

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Bermuda
In a modern concept of hero will focus primarily on professional athletes. Athletes are praised by many heroes, most aspiring children. What are the characteristics of the athlete to recognize himself a hero? Their heroic deeds consist of only one - and this is the number of businesses eligible for sports.

Zeltrax

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hero is someone that does the right thing, make the right choice and will never betray himself/herself for whatsoever.
As long as someone can do it, he or she is a hero/heroine.
It's just that simple.

Queenofmuffins

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
A 'hero' to me is someone who sacrifices something for the benefit of someone else.

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Hero is a person that isn't always strong like a superman or intelligent like the best scientists. It's a person who has courage and is brave to help people in normal life or during his work. The best example may be firemen. Every day they risk their lives to save people and to make someone's life better. They don't have superhuman power, they are just normal people, but they know that without their skills and courage someone may die and they come to the rescue even if they know that they can die.
Also sometimes when you think about a hero you can mention a mother that brings up a child by herself without a help of a father who left the family. She works in different places to earn money for her child and tries to make him a good person and to give him a good education.:)
Also we can say for sure that in the times of war there are plenty of people who protect their motherland, who die during interrogation, but don't sell their country.

For me a hero should be a person that can guide people by his deeds and his moral to the future.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
While the question can be broken down to many aspects, I'll just go with the general meaning. A hero is someone who rescues you or helps you out in some trouble you're in depending on the situation.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
A hero to me is someone who does the right thing no matter what the circumstances, consequences, or sacrifice. However, what the right thing is can be dependent on the situation and point of view.

Someone who saves a kid from a burning building would be a hero, more of a hero than a firefighter since that someone wasn't required to save that kid, but did so out of his own choice.

mattiaildivino

九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Italy
hero is someone who can change the things,is someone who stands out from the crowd,and a superhero is a hero powered with powers,like Superman ;).

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
A hero who does something extraordinary, not in the sense of laser eyes or swords, but devotes himself to help others because not often can we see people who help others genuinely.

Thus, a hero is someone who "saves the day of others" without asking for anything.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
A hero is someone who is wiling to sacrifice something they have for the benefit of others. I consider teachers to be a hero as well as a firefighter. The former sacrifice their time and the latter their safety. They don't need superpowers, but they should still be able to use their abilities for the greater good.

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Same goes for SWAT members, you know, the ones raiding hostage-taking scenes, drug lord hang outs, etc. They've got to be heroes for risking their lives.

But here in our town far from the city, I consider firefighters the most heroic people of all, because they save people from fires - but the weirdest part of all: they're only volunteers! They aren't paid to save people; they just do it for the thrill of seeing fires and saving people.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I think hero stands for sacrifice...now heroes who are alive are better than dead ones, but when sacrifice equals will to sacrifice then all is good

LoneLobo

Reviewer
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Although this topic is pretty old... here I go.

He (or she) cares first about others or the world as a whole and not about himself. This does not mean that he has to be a role model or someone to look up to. He does the things nobody else can do.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm quite glad I just found a person I gladly call a hero: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Thompson,_Jr. Sadly died in 2006.

During Vietnam war he was a helicopter pilot and spotted dead vietnamese civilians. He requested aid for them and found the US soldiers who were hunting down the civilians, so he ordered his crew to shoot down any americans continuing with the massacre.

It requires a massive amount of courage to step in against own army comrades and he really showed that drastically and at the right time. It really was a little easier for him than it would've been for an infantryman, as he was a pilot (which means less afilation to the ground forces, thus him having less of a threat of the guys he's confronting, but this was a great deed nonetheless.