Question - HOW does it take this long? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question HOW does it take this long?

Aazholh

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sadly what you've posted took the artist an extremely long time to portray.
I can't believe it has already been over six months since the last release! That is a half a year of our lives waiting for an episode! If he continues to release a handful of episodes between ridiculous long breaks like this, Berserk will never be finished.

FetherMan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I don't know if it's confirmed. However, I do believe, Miura is working on the next three Berserk films and probably overseeing most of the story and art production, so that could be one of the main reasons why, there hasn't been a chapter in a while. I can't think of any other reason why, there would be a hiatus.

Unless, Miura is really, really, really sick with something, which I doubt. But, there will be three new animated features focused on the "Black Swordsman Arc" which I can't wait for.

Otaku400

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I mean the next Arc will be the Lost Childs (i dont hve any idea how is the name of the Arc in English i think lost Childs. ) and i dont think the next Arcs will ll be three Movies.

llamapie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
This is one of the few questions you will never have an answer to. Just understand that the reason it bugs you is because the manga is that good. If it was mediocre (like most shonen) - it would not survive on his release schedule.

The positive is I know I will be following Berserk for a long time, so I can look forward to that, where my other favorite mangas will fade and die.

Bandreus

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Unless, Miura is really, really, really sick with something, which I doubt.
It's not that unlikely of a case. Keep in mind, throughout the years, Miura has been often portrayed as 1) Rarely getting out of his place 2) Spending most of his waking ours during nighttime 3) Generally not following a healthy lifestyle regime.

The fact he's such a mysterious figure obviously leads to lots of myths and legends about his persona and various reasons why he would work at such a slow pace.

All in all, I do believe his obsession for perfectionism (seriously, every panel is a masterpiece) coupled with an unhealthy lifestyle might indeed be the answer to the thread's question.

What I like to think though, is that Berserk is what Miura works on during his breaks and the rest (actually othe majority) of the year he's up with something else. It just happens he's been taking only a few breaks in the last bunch of years, hence why we only get 2 to 3 chapters before the months-long wait. The real question would so become, what does Miura do when he's NOT on break? :p

Blanka

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
All that really matters is that Casca and Gutts get one last actual conversation before the manga folds up shop. God Hand probably cannot die and at this point I am not sure I care whether Griffith lives or dies. I mean he is kind of Casca's son .... maybe that is too much to hope for.
If you are in love with your half-sister, a mermaid or a mental patient its not going to end well.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
there are some rumor that he is really ill, but so far, it's just that - rumours.

I do not think someone who is involved with a manga of that magnitude für 30+ years would not finish it deliberately out of pure lazyness.
Vice Versa, i think he might work that slow because he wants everything to be perfect.

Aazholh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Being ill would have been the only decent excuse and then if that is just a rumor well...

FetherMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand what some of you are saying. Now what about Hunter X Hunter...?. Hiatus like a mofo, for reals. Lol.

shafagh

Reaction score
Country
Iran
I can't believe it has already been over six months since the last release! That is a half a year of our lives waiting for an episode! If he continues to release a handful of episodes between ridiculous long breaks like this, Berserk will never be finished.
hate to say it ( repeat it !! ) but :

Miura will die before finishing Berserk ...

human life is not predictable thing , maybe he die tomorrow in a train accident, Car accident , earthquake, heart attack and etc ....

and after that we will have most disappointed story readers in world ... ( well , maybe readers of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE can join them ... I doubt Martin can finish his story before his death and he already is too old ... )
Well, I don't know if it's confirmed. However, I do believe, Miura is working on the next three Berserk films and probably overseeing most of the story and art production, so that could be one of the main reasons why, there hasn't been a chapter in a while. I can't think of any other reason why, there would be a hiatus.

Unless, Miura is really, really, really sick with something, which I doubt. But, there will be three new animated features focused on the "Black Swordsman Arc" which I can't wait for.
you mean actual films , or 3d films or animes ... berserk is too good only limited to anime ...

Last edited:

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I understand what some of you are saying. Now what about Hunter X Hunter...?. Hiatus like a mofo, for reals. Lol.

The only manga i 'follow' at the moment are berserk, vagabond, shamo and HxH.
I lead an empty life. <:

Nah, but seriously, with HxH it's not as bad as with Berserk, because at least when there actually ARE chapters, you get at least 10, if not 20 or 30 in a row.
The time in between is still insane, but you won't get a 'c u next time' after 2-3 chapters in which nothing big happens (sea god arc).

However, i am sure that both Berserk and HxH WILL end before their mangakas die.
I mean, lighting accidents aside, i am sure Miura knows how he wants the ending to take place.
He DOES care for his story, he stated so many times and i find it believable.
Someone who does not care would not be able to create such a magnificient story.
It would help a lot if mangakas could/would speak openly to fans about why there is delay and what they are doing at the moment.
It'd be cool for me if miura said 'oh sorry i am taking free time, i will tell you when i start drawing again'.
Then we'd at least know whether he is sick or has other problems.

Aazholh

Reaction score
Country
United States
41 weeks and counting since last episode. Just in case anyone wanted to know how long we've been waiting. Have a nice day!

Marshfox

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hrm. I have issues with this idea that his style is thorough/beautiful and thus warrants this slapdash release schedule. Miura is not the only one who draws in this fashion. Vinland Saga, for example, has a very, VERY similar art style, but it publishes a chapter regularly on the 26th of every month with little detriment to the art or chapter length. It seems to me that most people who cite art as a reason are kidding themselves or are trying to defend the man for reasons I don't understand.

Let's just get to the bottom line: The man is rather...leisurely. That's why it takes so long. I remember when he took one break back a couple years ago just to play video games for a solid couple months. I've always had the impression that he has a very fickle muse. (And by fickle I mean, if he sleeps the wrong way for one night, the muse is put out of commission for months.) Goodness knows that solid concepts are hard to flesh out on paper, but the man isn't painting the Sistine Chapel. Six months or more for a chapter that is usually 10 pages short of a normal monthly submission kind of kills my amenability for the he's-doing-good-art-so-quit-whining argument. Yes mangaka are worked to death and are people, not manga machines. That still doesn't make the idea of lighting a fire under his butt any less savory. Somehow I don't get the impression that the man is in danger of being overworked.

Aazholh

Reaction score
Country
United States
^This. But, let's say that Miura works through the whole year and releases 10 chapters back to back. Is he going to take another year break before he releases another chapter or the usual three month break? Just doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe my most optimistic theory is that he is on a roll moving into plot territory that fans have been waiting years for. It'd better be good.