Question - How long do you think One Piece has left in it's story? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question How long do you think One Piece has left in it's story?

Bradhimself

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
There are a lot of plot points left to go over and given how long Egghead has been (over a year in real time), I think this last end of the story has potential for another 4-5 years. Considering the following plot points.

- Elbaf
- Burn Scar Man/Final Poneglyph
- Laugh Tale
- Blackbeard vs Everyone (RHP, SHP)
- Final War
- Overthrowing the WG with the defeat of Gorosei, Imu
- Void Century Flashback
- Luffy's end goal after becoming Pirate King.

Bonney's character was quite fleshed out, We still have a potential Urouge flashback and story tie in.

And also anything else Oda wishes to throw in, I am sure I am missing some too.

Yoko75

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
There are a lot of plot points left to go over and given how long Egghead has been (over a year in real time), I think this last end of the story has potential for another 4-5 years. Considering the following plot points.

- Elbaf
- Burn Scar Man/Final Poneglyph
- Laugh Tale
- Blackbeard vs Everyone (RHP, SHP)
- Final War
- Overthrowing the WG with the defeat of Gorosei, Imu
- Void Century Flashback
- Luffy's end goal after becoming Pirate King.

Bonney's character was quite fleshed out, We still have a potential Urouge flashback and story tie in.

And also anything else Oda wishes to throw in, I am sure I am missing some too.
All good points.. I think it will come down how Oda handles these potential plot points. From what I've seen Oda tends to be pretty specific when it comes plot details, scenarios etc. He genuinely takes his time to tell the story and flesh things out enough to usually fill in the gaps, but given what we have as you pointed out and Oda tackles each one it definitely could go at least another 4-5 years. As long as he wraps up the story with at least most of or all of the remaining plot points covered, fleshed out and explained. That would be satisfying enough me.

WILDCARD 1 7

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
You have too take one more thing into account and that is Oda health. Plus Oda does like to draw (lol) things out I've noticed.

So I actually think we'll be doing this for at least 6 to 8 years.

Last edited:

VioletVector

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No sane person would have followed his series for the entire time it's been going.

You want a series that's been running for 20 years to turn into a 30 year long run.

Many people reading it right now are only doing it because it's currently part of popular culture. I doubt it will stay like that because pop culture shifts and the people who are immersed in pop culture tend to be goofballs.

Think about what I said earlier, no sane person would have been reading this series the entire length of its run. It's a story intended for boys/young men, and those boys/young men have grown up. They won't be reading this dinky story for 10 more years. Life will happen to those people (unless it doesn't and I really don't care what a person without a life ends up doing in 10 years- meaningless).

Conclusion: you would need to be a real weirdo to want to drag this story out for 5-10 years.

Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
- Reading One Piece chapter 1500.

LMAO

Last edited:

VioletVector

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been reading since 2003 I'm not going any where
The point being you may be a few cards short of a full deck there bud

--

On another note, the author [Eichiro Oda] is 49 years old. If this story approaches 10 more years, he will be nearly 60. Do you really want him to write this stuff when he becomes a senior citizen?

Hunter X Hunter's author [Yoshihiro Togashi] is 57, and he can't do it. Writing broke him lol

If this goes on too long we may as well be the ones killing the authors ourselves. Killing them by demanding they continue to write for us way longer than they ought to.

Last edited:

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States

--

On another note, the author [Eichiro Oda] is 49 years old. If this story approaches 10 more years, he will be nearly 60. Do you really want him to write this stuff when he becomes a senior citizen?

Hunter X Hunter's author [Yoshihiro Togashi] is 57, and he can't do it. Writing broke him lol

If this goes on too long we may as well be the ones killing the authors ourselves. Killing them by demanding they continue to write for us way longer than they ought to.
However long Oda wants to drag this on for, I am here along for the ride. I may not speak for everyone but pop culture be damned. I for one will keep reading regardless if it is no longer popular. One Piece is popular because it is that good so as long as Oda is chill with it, why give up something as awesome as One Piece?

Bradhimself

Reaction score
Country
Australia
No sane person would have followed his series for the entire time it's been going.

You want a series that's been running for 20 years to turn into a 30 year long run.

Many people reading it right now are only doing it because it's currently part of popular culture. I doubt it will stay like that because pop culture shifts and the people who are immersed in pop culture tend to be goofballs.

Think about what I said earlier, no sane person would have been reading this series the entire length of its run. It's a story intended for boys/young men, and those boys/young men have grown up. They won't be reading this dinky story for 10 more years. Life will happen to those people (unless it doesn't and I really don't care what a person without a life ends up doing in 10 years- meaningless).

Conclusion: you would need to be a real weirdo to want to drag this story out for 5-10 years.

Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
- Reading One Piece chapter 1500.

LMAO
Dude, just calm down. Why did you come to this thread just to start calling people weirdo's and insane for not doing things the way you do?

Do you honestly think the way you do things like reading Manga is correct and that others are insane for doing things differently?

Have you not the self awareness to see how much of a dick you are being, but you call everyone else the insane weirdos?

Saying things like "You argue emotionally" yet you are the only one turning things into personal attacks.

We are here to discuss manga, if you want to be a dick and start bashing people then go to reddit or something.

"It's a story intended for boys/young men, and those boys/young men have grown up. They won't be reading this dinky story for 10 more years."

According to your profile you are 32. So take your own advice and grow up, or at the least, shut up if you don't have anything nice to say. We are all on the same site reading manga at the end of the day. Stop pretending you are any better than anyone here man, you are doing the same thing as everyone here but worse because you're being a dick about it. L.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

However long Oda wants to drag this on for, I am here along for the ride. I may not speak for everyone but pop culture be damned. I for one will keep reading regardless if it is no longer popular. One Piece is popular because it is that good so as long as Oda is chill with it, why give up something as awesome as One Piece?
Hajime No Ippo, started in 1989, still going and dishing out consistent, quality chapters.

VioletVector

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We give up something as awesome as One Piece for the same reason every other normal person gave up Dragon Ball when they turned 13. It stopped being cool. Those of us who clung to Dragon Ball Super 15 years later were a dying breed.

Even more so for the Boruto fans. Nobody even respects us anymore.

If it came between Boruto and Burrito 🌯 I might have to eat my way to happiness.

escoxking

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

--

Bro I own my own business have a good paying job and take care of my family. Deck stay full over here just stop being a hater. Ppl have things that they are passionate about and want to see to the end. The same way I been around for the beginning and end of a lot of series. I will definitely be here for the ending of One Piece.

iEce

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
We give up something as awesome as One Piece for the same reason every other normal person gave up Dragon Ball when they turned 13. It stopped being cool. Those of us who clung to Dragon Ball Super 15 years later were a dying breed.

If it came between Boruto and Burrito 🌯 I might have to eat my way to happiness.
Even if you get a life, kids, house, etcetera you only sacrifice about 10 minutes/week reading a chapter, maybe it’s not something you brag about at a bbq dinner with friends.

I started reading op in -07 and will continue until Oda’s done making his masterpiece.

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire

I would say Dragon Ball and Naruto stopped being good.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States

That's your opinion and your choice. And based off of your words you probably find no value in older vehicles, nvm that it still runs well after 200k miles. You probably also don't see the value in antiques nor a finely aged wine or cheese. But hey that's fine. The less you partake in, the more for the rest of us.

Man do I love seeing these oldass giant sequiaos. I'm so happy to visit the museums not to mention the timeless beauty of the desert over here. The best part? You wouldn't be anywhere to complain because you're sitting in a nice condo built last year in the newest part of town. Good for you. But even better for the rest of us that you aint there to ruin the scenery.

I would say Dragon Ball and Naruto stopped being good.
I respect this opinion. Why? You are voicing how you feel and not bashing other people's opinions for no reason. Thank you!

VioletVector

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That's your opinion and your choice. And based off of your words you probably find no value in older vehicles, nvm that it still runs well after 200k miles. You probably also don't see the value in antiques nor a finely aged wine or cheese. But hey that's fine. The less you partake in, the more for the rest of us.

Man do I love seeing these oldass giant sequiaos. I'm so happy to visit the museums not to mention the timeless beauty of the desert over here. The best part? You wouldn't be anywhere to complain because you're sitting in a nice condo built last year in the newest part of town. Good for you. But even better for the rest of us that you aint there to ruin the scenery.

I respect this opinion. Why? You are voicing how you feel and not bashing other people's opinions for no reason. Thank you!
That's called a slippery slope fallacy. You guys can't argue well.

Just because I did one thing doesn't mean I do all this other crap you're talking about.

People who are mad at Boruto for it being "bad" are really just doing what they've always done- they've always had negative opinions. Every chapter. These people have mostly negative opinions except when they get on bandwagons together.

Bradhimself

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That's called a slippery slope fallacy. You guys can't argue well.

Just because I did one thing doesn't mean I do all this other crap you're talking about.

People who are mad at Boruto for it being "bad" are really just doing what they've always done- they've always had negative opinions. Every chapter. These people have mostly negative opinions except when they get on bandwagons together.
We can't argue well?

Since you started commenting on threads over the last few days, everyone who has argued with you has made their points clear, elaborated on said points, even provided alternatives and of course added reasoning to why they have that point of view and even given examples and/or evidence.

You started off with a strawman argument by accusing me of arguing emotionally despite having literal mathematical logic.

You repeated the same point over and over without ever expanding or even explaining it further.

You then went on to shift the focus to the person as an attempt to strengthen your point?

You add nothing of value and bash other members.

But no, it's everyone else who doesn't argue well.

VioletVector

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We can't argue well?

Since you started commenting on threads over the last few days, everyone who has argued with you has made their points clear, elaborated on said points, even provided alternatives and of course added reasoning to why they have that point of view and even given examples and/or evidence.

You started off with a strawman argument by accusing me of arguing emotionally despite having literal mathematical logic.

You repeated the same point over and over without ever expanding or even explaining it further.

You then went on to shift the focus to the person as an attempt to strengthen your point?

You add nothing of value and bash other members.

But no, it's everyone else who doesn't argue well.
You're crazy, dude. Stop talking.

Agerdem

Reaction score
Country
Aland Islands
as long as "jump corp." begs for him to strech

Bradhimself

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Last edited:

FetherMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’d say there’s 11-12 volumes worth of chapters left and then, it’s ended.

Not much left, it’s pretty much the grand finale from here on out. WSJ is purposely slow-pacing the story for this reason, I believe…🤔