Discussion - How much time left before it’s “too late” for another crewmate? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion How much time left before it’s “too late” for another crewmate?

electricmastro

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I contested it earlier in my post, in detail, but I will summarize here.

Egghead is over a year long in our time, nobody thought this would last so long, and it is mainly about side characters and 1 major antagonist.

Oda's editors themselves stated that 5 years is too short to fit in what Oda has planned for the final arcs of One Piece.

Last Arc we had Yamato nearly Join.

Luffy says he wants 10 crew members, he has 9.

Blackbeard Pirates have 10 to Strawhats 9.

We are listening to you dude, we just don't agree and stated our reasons why.

If you have no other points other than you think it's going to be over soon, then why don't you state why you think it is going to be so fast to summarize the remaining plot points/arcs and why those can't include the 10th member of the Strawhats joining?

Like I said, happy to debate this with you, but just saying the same thing over and over makes for boring content on this thread.
Oh yeah, that's another thing. Blackbeard has 10 Titanic Captains, while Luffy has 9 Senior Officers.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Let's be real! What makes this place boring is the fact anything slightly interesting gets put into the "crazy theories" section where nobody will ever read it.

Repeating the series is nearly over is nothing short of stating a widely recognized fact. Though, that fact does not seem to be sinking in with anyone.

IF a new crewmember showed up, it would mean they have shown up partway through the final saga and it would mean they didn't share most of the journey itself with the crew. Do we really want someone who barely knows what's going on or who anybody is tagging along at this point?
Well let's see, Jinbe wasn't with the entire crew before the time skip, nor was he there for Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, or Zou, yet no one really seems to be holding that against him.

Likewise, Vivi has missed out on every adventure with the crew from Skypiea onwards, yet no one really seems to be holding that against her either.

Besides, Jinbe was filled in on things, and Vivi would likewise be filled in as well. So while I don't want people to be ignorant, I hardly think that would be an issue.

Vanshrimp

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
i think it is never too late to get new interesting people onboard. Fate brought Oden onboard of Roger's ship during the last journey of the Oro jackson, so why not ?
hard to see the future is:yoda

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
A new crew members needs at least an arc where they'll be relevant besides the final arc.
Well Vivi has had Alabasta, Yamato has had Wano, and Bonney has had Egghead, so aside from a few more character developments, I think we're pretty set there!

Bradhimself

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Let's be real! What makes this place boring is the fact anything slightly interesting gets put into the "crazy theories" section where nobody will ever read it.

Repeating the series is nearly over is nothing short of stating a widely recognized fact. Though, that fact does not seem to be sinking in with anyone.

IF a new crewmember showed up, it would mean they have shown up partway through the final saga and it would mean they didn't share most of the journey itself with the crew. Do we really want someone who barely knows what's going on or who anybody is tagging along at this point?
Dude, I totally understand your point. Yes there isn't that long left in the scheme of things, but it will also not wrap up this year, or even next. We are in the final Saga, Not the final arc. Egghead started in 2022 lol, it's 2024 and this is a blip compared to what's to come.

And to answer your question, Yes. There still a lot of story to go through and a new member could still add value to the rest of the story.

Vivi would be the best fit, she was already a member but then went off to do her royal duties. Now she is a target of Imu, she is a D clan member, also on the run from the WG and probably wants revenge for Cobra.

She is my most likely candidate. One of the most, if not the most tied-into-the-plot characters there is.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I find it weird that new LGBT fans want a new female character to join the crew every time they meet someone in a new arc.

On every arc, people like you scream that they want a new crew member. It gets very annoying to see this subject come up at every island.

I think One Piece fans have mental issues.
Now that’s not a very nice thing to say about people you simply disagree with.

i think it is never too late to get new interesting people onboard. Fate brought Oden onboard of Roger's ship during the last journey of the Oro jackson, so why not ?
hard to see the future is:yoda
Actually, Oden first boarded an Emperor's ship and then the Pirate King's.

So considering Yamato's case, maybe she'll parallel Oden in first performing some good deeds that will help Momo out before leaving.

And after that maybe the ship she boards in finally leaving is Cross Guild's ship, based on how Buggy was Oden's friend and all.

And then since Mihawk is set to face Zoro, maybe that's when she'd transfer over from an Emperor's ship to the Pirate King's ship.

Now, question is, would Oda do something ridiculous like that?

----------

So if you guys are willing to give me the benefit of the doubt and humor me, even if just for a moment, what do you guys feel Oda would have to do to convince you of Bonney becoming more likely to be a Straw Hat at this point?

Again, if you're willing to humor me, I'm willing to go along with any discussion.

Bradhimself

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Now that’s not a very nice thing to say about people you simply disagree with.

Actually, Oden first boarded an Emperor's ship and then the Pirate King's.

So considering Yamato's case, maybe she'll parallel Oden in first performing some good deeds that will help Momo out before leaving.

And after that maybe the ship she boards in finally leaving is Cross Guild's ship, based on how Buggy was Oden's friend and all.

And then since Mihawk is set to face Zoro, maybe that's when she'd transfer over from an Emperor's ship to the Pirate King's ship.

Now, question is, would Oda do something ridiculous like that?

----------

So if you guys are willing to give me the benefit of the doubt and humor me, even if just for a moment, what do you guys feel Oda would have to do to convince you of Bonney becoming more likely to be a Straw Hat at this point?

Again, if you're willing to humor me, I'm willing to go along with any discussion.
In regards to Bonney, I think it is entirely possible she could join the Straw hats. But as you said it would need to be convincing.

There are enough elements at play at the current point of the story that could make this possible.

The most prominent is the heavy tie ins with Nika. Kuma and Bonney both are believers to the point of Kuma wanting to be like him and Bonney emulating his power with her own.

Then we have Bonney being Ship/Crewless.

And finally the hatred towards the WG.

The way I see this potentially working is Kuma and Bonney seeing Luffy in Nika mode and then wanting to follow their God after this battle is won.

Or

Kuma dying during this battle, Saturn not exactly dying but being defeated and running off, that would then give Bonney cause to follow Luffy to get her revenge for her father and mother.

WILDCARD 1 7

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Now that I think about it I think Bonnie might join the Revolutionaries.
Her father was one.
She knows them even help them briefly to get her father back.
After this she probably has a hatred for the five elders.
And Luffy's not actively trying to overthrow really anyone.
So there's the possibility she'll join the Revolutionaries after Elbaf.
Of course her and Kuma's fate is very up in the air right now.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now that I think about it I think Bonnie might join the Revolutionaries.
Her father was one.
She knows them even help them briefly to get her father back.
After this she probably has a hatred for the five elders.
And Luffy's not actively trying to overthrow really anyone.
So there's the possibility she'll join the Revolutionaries after Elbaf.
Of course her and Kuma's fate is very up in the air right now.
She could def be set-up to take Kuma's place in the Revolutionaries. Even as a kid, she'd be pretty helpful I imagine. I still think she'd bond quite a bit with Luffy before then though, given how he's Nika.

WILDCARD 1 7

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
She could def be set-up to take Kuma's place in the Revolutionaries. Even as a kid, she'd be pretty helpful I imagine. I still think she'd bond quite a bit with Luffy before then though, given how he's Nika.
Yes as this arc isn't over yet, and she will most likely heading with the SH and Vegapunk to Elbaf.

As for what would convince me of her joining the crew? I guess you could say I don't like her enough. Which of course could change as the story goes. But right now to me she's just Kumas kid. She need to move away from that which she'll get more opportunities to but right now she's just that. Or in other words she's another Nami clone to me right now, which I'm really getting tired of.

I would like for a goal outside of Nika or Kuma.
Also what does she bring to the table besides the Nika angle which I believe other characters could also fulfill like Jimbe and I suspect Urouge him being a monk and all.

But as I said there's plenty of time for that to change.

Last edited:

kazekaze_yuki

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
So far Straw Hats has at least a member from one of sea regions:
- East Blue: Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp
- North Blue: Sanji
- West Blue: Robin, Brook
- South Blue: Franky
- Grandline
+ Paradise: Chopper
+ Undersea/Mid: Jinbei
+ New World: ???
- Calm Belt: ???
- White Sea/Sky Island: ???
If in the end, all sea regions would have at least one Shs member.
Then we still have 3 spots to fill: Calm Belt, New World, Sky Island
- For Calm Belt: the best candidate right now is Hancock. She was Tenryubito's slave. Somehow her island shares same name with Nefertari Lily - Queen of Alabasta 800 yrs ago.

- For New World: we almost had Yamato join but she changed mind last minute, she decided to stay Wano to help Momo to protect his country.

- For Sky Island: so far Urouge is the only Supernovas still not shine. Cant wait what stories Oda is going to tell.
Dont know if you guys notice, his bounty pre-timeskip was 108million berries.
In the last day of the year, before the new year begins, in temple, Japanese has a tradition to ring bell 108 times.

catagon87

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Final Saga is something of a misnomer. The Yonko Saga involved WCI and Wano. WCI started on chapter 825 which took place in May of 2016. It ended August of 2022. Close to six and a half years.

The final saga (should) include:
  • Going to Lodestar Island
  • Finding the last poneglyph
  • Defeating Blackbeard
  • Finding One Piece
  • Defeating Imu
Roger recruited Oden well after defeating his supposed nemesis, Rocks, and most of their journey was simply a formality at that point as Oden had a Poneglyph on Wano, he knew of the one on Zou, they knew of the one by Fishman Island, and Roger had already tricked Big Mom into getting her Poneglyph. The only one who gets to decide if a new member makes sense is Oda, and he rarely takes the story in a direction that's predictable by forum posters.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
So is Bonney more likely to become a Straw Hat now?