Discussion - How open are you with your manga/anime obsession? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion How open are you with your manga/anime obsession?

Ninjaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I don't really talk about it, so I don't know who knows, but I don't try to hide it or be discreet about it either.
Most people that have taken a peek over at my computer screen at Uni probably knows, because I read manga and browse forums during lectures.
My friends know tho, but most of them probably don't even know what Manga is.
They just say "oh you are reading a Naruto again, cool."
And I'm like "yeah... A Naruto."

Heavymetalcowboy

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Never have had a problem telling anyone. Either the folks I meet are super accepting or just don't care. That being said, in my group, I am about the only one who reads manga. Very few others watch anime. Would love some suggestions where to go next.

Darklord#10

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I'm very open about my love for anime and manga and my parents knows about it to

terdes

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Austria
nowadays I wanna to start new sport manga

Lonewolf187

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
only my parents know cause i keep to myself all the damn time

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Awesome Thread.
Anime/Manga has gotten a lot of popularity & mainstream limelight in the past few years, the ignorant stigmas have gone away.

But yea I do remember being very secretive about and hiding 🙈 lol in public if I was reading a manga chapter….Video Games & other entertainment didn’t have weird/nerdy/immature stigmas around them..bit Anime/manga did. Like only the unpopular kids are into this. I believe I went as far to hide it from most my friends in fear of being judged, as not that cool or childish because I still like cartoons.

All goes to say, I watch/read Anime/manga anywhere nowadays, I will struck up conversation if I notice someone wearing/talking/referring to a series I like. I have more friends that watch anime also, so we can talk about the series or episode from time. Even in the past years I was kinda embarrassed to go to a convention, but I’ve learned to embrace my inner Geek.