Favorites - How would you rank SPoT as an arc? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Favorites How would you rank SPoT as an arc?

-Ken-

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Obviously this is opinion-based, and it can differs from person to person regarding how they like a certain character or certain action (I don’t like the 1st stringer 11-20 match that much, for example).

There might be more arc than the one I list, or less to some people. It’s just what is big in my opinion. I can rate them further match by match, but that’s too much work right now XD.

I rank them like this
Winner vs Loser arc= 7/10
Loser Camp arc=3/10
5th court vs 3rd court arc=8/10
1st Stringer 11-20 arc=5/10
G10 match arc=9/10
Japan vs Germany match arc=8/10

Beside the loser camp and the 1st round of 1st stringer match, I'm pretty much enjoy this series.

Fayte

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
My rankings:

Winner vs Loser arc [8/10]
Loser Camp arc [1/10]
5th court vs 3rd court arc [5/10]
1st Stringer 11-20 arc [3/10]
G10 match arc [4/10]
Japan vs Germany match arc [8/10]

Overall Score: 4.8/10

So basically, I did not enjoy most of the series thus far. I thought sPoT started out pretty good. Then as soon as the tie-break matches were over, it went into the worst thing I've ever read, which turned into nothing but mediocrity and disappointments (with a few exceptions), which turned into the present arc which I think is good again.

Last edited:

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
I should re-read it tbh cause I can't make a precise rating but...

Winner vs Loser arc= 8.5/10 (it started... awesome imo)

Loser Camp arc = 4/10 (I enjoyed it tbh but it felt Konomi didn't know exactly what he wanted to do, at least from the impression I got, and this was the weakest point of all SPoT)

5th court vs 3rd court arc= 6/10 (cool but not mind blowing)

1st Stringer 11-20 arc = 4.5/10 (I didn't like most of the characters introduced, and almost every match felt super rushed, bs or super unclear to what was exactly going on. At this point I had no idea where SPoT was going and that didn't help, the World Cup should had been introduced earlier, even if they didn't mention the MSers being part of it).

G10 match arc = 7/10 (same as 5 vs 3, but it had some really epic matches. The double bagel was crap though)

Post G10 + Japan vs Germany match arc = 8/10 (the highest point since the start, knowing about the WC and where the series was going helped a lot, it had some cool plot twists, fun moments and epic matches).

Overall, I have enjoyed it, and looking back and reading it all NOW is totally worth it. But back then, when the series was at its lowest point (which lasted a while, after the start till the 1st string it was prety mediocre) and with Konomi releasing few and short chapters (and there were some months with no chapters either) it was... quite a pain.

Nowadays, I would totally recommend people to read it, but back then I would have doubted it tbh ^^'

Edit: did the math and apparently I gave it a 6,3 overall... which I think is fair.

Last edited:

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I don't know what's wrong with the 1st stringer 11-20 match tbh, the winner vs loser was rush but it feels fine. Maybe it's partly because how no score was being shown make it really unclear what's going on.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't know what's wrong with the 1st stringer 11-20 match tbh, the winner vs loser was rush but it feels fine. Maybe it's partly because how no score was being shown make it really unclear what's going on.
Well, I think one of the main differences for most people is that the team shuffle matches were in order and in case of the 11-20 it jumped around all the time, so that might've added to the confusion. At least it was a big talking point for us back then from what I recall.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My rankings:

Winner vs Loser arc [8/10] Got the series started.
Loser Camp arc [1/10] Utmost bore.
5th court vs 3rd court arc [3/10] Makes little sense. Plot device for MSers advancement.
1st Stringer 11-20 arc [2/10] Eh.
G10 match arc [7/10] Intense and showed good techniques.
Japan vs Germany match arc [8/10] Same as above but gets +1 for putting up a decent match against Volk.

Anera

Reaction score
Country
France
I mostly agree with Hardy.

Winner vs Loser arc= 7/10 Good but it was just the beginning, so not really transcendant.

Loser Camp arc = 3/10 I didn't see the interest, seeing them training for so many chapters was not necessary imo.

5th court vs 3rd court arc= 7/10 Pretty great, I really enjoyed it and I was eager to see what Konomi planned after. But the matches were not really balanced in terms of quality.

1st Stringer 11-20 arc = 5/10 It could have been better.

G10 match arc = 8/10 Epic. What else to say ? :smile-big

Post G10 + Japan vs Germany match arc = 8/10 It was really great to see an overview of other teams and the matches against Germany are great as well. (even though I would like to see more about Q.P.)

Artsci

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Winner vs Loser arc= 7/10 including the match between Oni and Momo, good start and makes me feel excited when I thought the good players like Sanada and Niou are really going to drop out from the camp meanwhile players like Mizuki and Minami are staying.
Loser Camp arc=4/10 don't really recall what happen in the loser camp besides being chased by eagles and playing against the HSers.
5th court vs 3rd court arc=8/10 all the matches are awesome and shows me that Irie is potentially way stronger than I expected
1st Stringer 11-20 arc=3/10 this part is too rush and the MSers revolutionists that take on the the 1st stringers aren't my favourite characters. I don't like Taka and Kabaji getting the No. 12 and 13 badges instead of other better players like Kaidou.
G10 match arc=6/10 although the matches are exciting, it was too long and some matches are too exaggerated. Plus, the MSers fought so hard against the G10ers in order to become the Japanese representative and so many players got injured during the matches (Niou, Mori, Gin, Kite, Marui, Tono, Tokugawa). Then, they finally announce that there was a U14 team. So what is the point of playing all those tough matches against the HSers?
Japan vs Germany match arc=8/10 the best part so far, would be better depends on how the match against Volk goes

Fayte

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last edited:

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hahahaha we could XD

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Global Moderator Notice:
Created a new thread for the country talk and moved those posts over there.~ Kaoz

Seakay

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Winner vs Loser [7/10] - I liked seeing all the teams and characters from the original together, with the tension of the go-home matches a nice touch.
Loser Camp Arc [4/10] - Dragged out too long but it brought some good development for the losers.
5th vs 3rd Arc [6/10] - Just really liked the Irie and Atobe match, some other matches were hit or miss though.
1st Stringer Arc [4/10] - Nothing really felt too important, you could probably skip this and not miss too much storywise.
G10 Arc [8/10] - Story was finally coming together and some good matches too
World Cup Arc [8/10] - Solid start so far, Germany vs Japan exhibition a good idea to build drama, could go a lot of different but interesting ways

I think the main problem I had after the Winner vs Loser Arc was lacking a future destination. In the original PoT, Seigaku had a clear goal of going to Nationals, so all the matches felt like road stops that had to make. In SPoT, all the shuffle matches didn't seem that important until we learned of the G10 and the World Cup. Now the characters have something worth fighting for other than just a higher rank.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think the main problem I had after the Winner vs Loser Arc was lacking a future destination. In the original PoT, Seigaku had a clear goal of going to Nationals, so all the matches felt like road stops that had to make. In SPoT, all the shuffle matches didn't seem that important until we learned of the G10 and the World Cup. Now the characters have something worth fighting for other than just a higher rank.
I don't really agree with this - or well, "agree." Can't tell you that the way you felt about it is wrong of course, but in my eyes it was always pretty clear that there were going to be international matches and the like considering the traveling team is mentioned in the very first chapter. So while it was never directly said that there was going to be a WC, I'd still say it was strongly implied.

Also, I haven't actually answered thread question yet. Not gonna do X/10 ratings because they feel pretty arbitrary, but at least some thoughts on each arc.

Elimination Tiebreaks: Was a solid start in my opinion, I actually only caught up after this arc was over, so I didn't have the same monthly tension as someone who experienced it as it happened. There were some nice moments and it worked well enough as re-introduction arc.

Mountain Camp: Honestly, I don't think it was too bad although most certainly the weakest arc. I reckon it was more interesting than the regular camp would've been during these in-manga days though and I liked some of the scenes, e.g. Inui and Yanagi taking on all the high schoolers by themselves.

Team Shuffle: Really good, I enjoyed it. The singles matches in particular. They weren't long, but Tezuka vs Yamato is probably still one of my favorite matches in the series and I'm glad Konomi decided to give Krauser some screen time and the flashback showing why he's even in the camp.

Vs 1st String: Another transitioning arc just like the Loser's Camp one, meant to set up the G10 challenge. It was ok for what it was and unlike apparently everyone else, I don't dislike the parallel structure. The one thing I would've liked is if the outcome of one particular match had been a bit more detailed.

Another thing I will say about the last two arcs is that I would've really liked to see 1st and 2nd court play a match. Nothing extensive of course since all those characters are very irrelevant to the story overall, but I'm still really curious about what they can do.

Vs Genius 10: I have some mixed feelings about this one. Enjoyed all the matches overall, but there were one or two points where I wish Konomi had explained some things a little better, so that we wouldn't have had to spend two years trying to guess why certain things happened the way they did. Still, Tokugawa vs Byoudouin has been my favorite match in SPoT so far I'd say, so the arc gets bonus points from me for that alone.

Vs Germany: Good. The setup with Ryoma in the US and Tezuka in Germany is very interesting and leaves room for a number of developments and I've liked all the matches so far.

Ganonslayer101

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Winner vs Loser [8/10] - I actually really enjoyed seeing the High Schoolers foddered since it gave credit to the protagonists for their genius level talents. The tie-breaker games were really fun but I really don't like how Inui went out.
Loser Camp Arc [3/10] - Just felt kinda unnecessary to see eagle dodging and what not, plus it didn't help that I could tell they'd return so it felt like filler.
5th vs 3rd Arc [6/10] - Outside of not seeing Wings of Kyuushuu i had no problems with the Arc, though dissapointed that Oni saved the day.
1st Stringer Arc [6/10] - Outside of a lack of detail in matches, I liked seeing the Middile Schoolers take on the Bottom ranks to see some improvement, even though it wasn't the best
G10 Arc [9/10] - Probably my favorite part as a clear showcase of The abilities of the G10 though Sanada and Akutsu vs Shuji and Ohmagari was kinda meh to me, just seemed like Shuji stepped up there wasn't even tension, he was just better. Then again hey look over there may be my favorite comedy scene in all of PoT.
World Cup Arc [7/10] - It has been somewhat interesting for me, Duke/Fuji vs. Siegfried and Bismarck was really entertaining to see Duke's Backstory and Unique style along with Fuji's revival, but I may stand alone in that I didn't like seeing atobe and to see him get curb-stomped along with Irie despite all there build up struck me the wrong way. But Volk/ Franky vs Yuki/ Tokugawa has been pretty entertaining so It's above average for me.

Last edited:

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Vs Genius 10: I have some mixed feelings about this one. Enjoyed all the matches overall, but there were one or two points where I wish Konomi had explained some things a little better, so that we wouldn't have had to spend two years trying to guess why certain things happened the way they did. Still, Tokugawa vs Byoudouin has been my favorite match in SPoT so far I'd say, so the arc gets bonus points from me for that alone.
I'm guessing you're talking about Niou returning Mach being on the floor? I agree with this a fair bit.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm guessing you're talking about Niou returning Mach being on the floor? I agree with this a fair bit.
Just that match as a whole. Basically everything concerning the first set tiebreak and then everything concerning Niou in the third set.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
So it's been a while, but I think we can safely consider the Group League as its own arc. How did you like it and how does it compare to the rest of the series in your eyes?

Seakay

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Konomi wanted to get through this arc quickly. Japan winning their first two matches 3-0 and losing 0-3 to the Swiss (with the doubles being mostly skipped) kept the group league to a minimum. We didn’t see many of the S2/S1 characters play, so I’m wondering if they were being saved to show off their strength against stronger players in the final tournament. That said, I liked several of the matches that were played, especially some of the Doubles. I’d rate the arc above average, maybe 6 or 7 out of 10.

I do think Dorgias and Noah were the most interesting foreign characters introduced, so it is a shame they won’t participate in the final tournament. Also wouldn’t be surprised if they appeared again though, maybe helping somebody train off-court.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I do think Dorgias and Noah were the most interesting foreign characters introduced
It's a bit weird, I both agree and disagree with this. On the one hand the brothers had a nice backstory and I thought Dorgias was done really well overall, but as unique as Noah's situation is (and it certainly is unique, considering he's the first major character to get eliminated without ever stepping on the court), there was just a little something missing to make him impressive. It probably goes back to us not seeing Australia defeat Switzerland thanks to Noah's tactics beforehand. I'm not saying we should've seen all five matches of course, just bits and pieces and maybe finish off by showing Noah as a shadow in front of the Australia flag, similar to how the big 4 pros were introduced after the Pre-WC.

The rest of the arc was fine in my book. There were a few points where I would've liked to see a little more like the Switzerland doubles, but I can see why they were done like that. Also, even though we had some short matches in there like Tanegashima's, they still felt complete at the end of the day. And finally, while Konomi certainly tried to get through these matches quickly like Seakay said, he still included six or seven Japanese characters each time, so that was also good.