Webtoon - I Am the Sorcerer King | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Webtoon I Am the Sorcerer King

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Description: 10 years ago, the monster horde from the rift formed from space and time started attacking the mankind. At the same time, people have started to awaken the power and began hunting the monsters for fame and money Lee SungHoon, in need of money because of his mother’s sickness, takes a dangerous job to help hunt those monsters four times a month by acting as a bait for the hunters But one day, he is heavily injured by a monster and remembers his past life as a sorcerer king ‘Huh? Did I just die?» ‘Wait, I was a Sorcerer King Kratraus in my previous life?’ With his past memories, SungHoon’s overpowered magic show begins

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
caught up. This is very close to Solo leveling the MC is likeable but the art is not as good. Problem I have with these sort of manga is its quite a gary stu lead which i dont like.. but i guess the plot so far is interesting

Last edited:

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
What i like about this webtoon is the MC is calculating and think about other peoples feelings into consideration while Solo Leveling MC is going Solo even near the end of Solo Leveling Novel he's still by himself like what the hell?

I think there's also a novel version of this one but i no one translate it and i feel that even at the current chapter we barely scratch the surface there's no antagonist yet that showing up that makes the MC get stuck. Well the MC's previous life he got rekt by a freaking dragon so maybe in the future it will show up?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds good, looking forward to this when i get time. A Solo Leveling-like series with a bit more in the way of focus on working with a supporting cast really appeals to me.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Hmm, I think I'm closer to where shaheer is at with this one. I might even like it a bit less. The MC is just so smug.

Like I can enjoy a power fantasy. Even one with a gary stu. What I can't deal with is a smug gary stu. Like the way he has no sense of urgency or is irrationally greedy. The part I just got to is the bit where portals show up and cities and there are tons of causalities and he's like "How much will they pay me" with a self satisfied look on his face.

What I miss from the early parts of Solo Leveling is the "heart". When a character is more focused on those around him than he is himself.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
He's not greedy i think he's doing that to craft items for his team and doesn't want anyone to know he's a 8x Class people around him only knows that he's a tetra class that's why he needs money.

Also it's not like he's smug he's just surprised that the world he's currently residing in got so much technology while his previous life they only got magic. He also like to compare skills , magic to his previous world also yeah he got that smug type guy i mean he's the top of his game before he got rekt by a dragon so i guess that's how he is?

Guess what Solo leveling is also like that he gets greedy after the japan invasion he practically own japan portals like its his property. He's not even thinking of getting stronger for others he just want to get stronger to kill the messenger of gods/monarchs

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
He's not greedy i think he's doing that to craft items for his team and doesn't want anyone to know he's a 8x Class people around him only knows that he's a tetra class that's why he needs money.

Also it's not like he's smug he's just surprised that the world he's currently residing in got so much technology while his previous life they only got magic. He also like to compare skills , magic to his previous world also yeah he got that smug type guy i mean he's the top of his game before he got rekt by a dragon so i guess that's how he is?

Guess what Solo leveling is also like that he gets greedy after the japan invasion he practically own japan portals like its his property. He's not even thinking of getting stronger for others he just want to get stronger to kill the messenger of gods/monarchs
I mean, yeah Solo Leveling has definitely got similar problems but there is something about the presentation here that really rubs me the wrong way. Like chapter 23 in particular was just painful, for me at least. Which is not to say it's a bad series or anything like that. It's just that I think the tolerance required here might be a bit higher than even Solo Leveling. Just because it's really hard to watch a MC act like this guy does and really not do much to earn it or be challenged.

The art style I think hurts him a little too. Because he's drawn with so little tension. If you have a powerful character walking around looking relaxed and full of himself, when people around him are getting hurt, and focusing so much on money. It doesn't work great. If he looked concerned more, I think I'd have an easier time liking him.

On the positive side I think your right that it had incorperated more characters in an enjoyable way. I can already see potential there even if so far they haven't really done anything much to the point I got to. Just mainly been a smokescreen for the MC to hide his strength behind.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
It's more weird that all the portals showing up are just the lowest rank and Korea and USA is already pulling their hairs how to close it until the MC arrives. I think i feel the greediness of the MC he is rushing to make his team fighting standards to a high level to protect their country even while his out exploring.

I really like the Chinese Hunters they are using Qi like the old martial arts way. It seems like China is a power house in terms of hunters.