Question - I have never read berserk, is it really that good? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question I have never read berserk, is it really that good?

megumin<3

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Well, that, I have never read berserk and I see that many people say that it is a masterpiece, but most of the people who say it are the type of otaku who say that everything is garbage except what they consume. So before I start reading it I would like to know that, is it really that good? Or is it just one of those works that they say they like just because they feel that their tastes are superior to those of others.

102jayday

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
It's a really enjoyable read. I could sit down with the manga books for hours and read it.
Miura puts so much detail in the pages you would think its modern but he was doing this 25 years ago.
The story is very gore and dark so thats a warning to or not to read it. There is alot of death, some rape and nudity.
It goes from present time to into the past for a good chunk of volumes then it catches back up to the present time.
imo its bloody good but up to up on how you take it.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Well, that, I have never read berserk and I see that many people say that it is a masterpiece, but most of the people who say it are the type of otaku who say that everything is garbage except what they consume. So before I start reading it I would like to know that, is it really that good? Or is it just one of those works that they say they like just because they feel that their tastes are superior to those of others.
Well, what are your favorite series? The first arc isn't great but it gets better and better and the Golden Age arc is one of the best arcs I have ever read.

Reactions: z.5

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Lmao, Yes.

This is the only answer you need lol. No explanation of the series, just A Yes & a Go read for yourself.

It’s the Pinnacle of Manga, some others come close. Berserk is the manga to Rule them all.

Aeneas

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Yes. Most just talk about the art, but Miura was a really great writer.

It has some problematic aspects, but objectively speaking, it’s the best manga I’ve ever read.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It's funny, I find the writing actually is often better than the art - to me, for all it's intricate detail (and boy is the art detailed) panels in Berserk can often become a bit too cluttered for my liking. This means that the sheer intricacy of the art can often make it difficult to really see what is happening

It's a real skill to make hyper detailed art and still keep things clear and clean - I'm not sure that this is a practice that was always followed

That said, for every overly cluttered panel there are always others that are clean, crisp and beautiful - so please don't think I'm bashing the art, just that I don't think it's beyond reproach/the best that manga has to offer

as for the original question - yeah, Berserk is worth a read
it's the kind of manga where you will quickly realise if it is your thing or not