TV - I love the 80’s – TV series edition | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV I love the 80’s – TV series edition

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a thread for music, one for movies, so here’s one for TV series. Let’s talk about the TV series from the 80’s. :)

Here are some of my favorite series from the 80’s:

- ALF
- Baywatch
- The Cosby Show
- Golden Girls
- Mr. Belvedere
- Perfect Strangers
- Saved by the Bell
- Who’s The Boss?
- He-Man
- She-Ra
- ThunderCats
- The Care Bears

Well…those are some of my favorite series from the 80’s. But what about you guys? What are your favorite series from the 80’s?

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Saved by the bell was very great. Good old memories to that series

Serious one: the A-team of course and the dukes of hazzard

I don't know if it was an '80 series but I do remember there were some bears living underground and they had some enemies which looked like huge trolls. They mostly drunk a potion which made them jump up and down, made them difficult to catch

But as a kid I enjoyed my country made liegebeest (liar beast). A lot of children were afraid of that beast and the dark atmosphere coming along with it but I enjoyed it on the other hand a lot.

Lyrics tled:

super, super liar beast

Nobody knows that I am here
Although I am the lord of the castle
I am not a human but neither a real beast
I am the super liar beast

super, super, super liar beast

Last edited:

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hmmmm

Besides the mentioned non-animated ones...
- Super Vicky
- V
- Starman
- Changeman (japanese serie)
- Jaspion (japanese serie)
- Flashman (japanese serie)
- Punky Brewster
- McGyver
- 21 Jump Street

HegemonKhan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
using this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1980s_American_television_series

(my list, I need to check if they're in the 80's though, some may be in the 90's)

01. Nickelodean's Double Dare
02. Nickelodean's Are you Afraid of the Dark (1990s)
03. Nickelodean's Wild and Crazy Kids (1990s)
04. Nickelodean's Finders Keepers
05. Nickelodean's Inspector Gadget
06. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
07. Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
08. Transformers
09. Red Planet (1990s)
10. Pirates of Dark Water (1990s)
11. American Gladiators
12. Baywatch (PAMELA ANDERSON, in her red swimsuit, in-slow motion running, BOUNCE BOUNCE! Best opening EVER! LOL)
13. Captain Planet and the Planeteers (1990s)
14. Wild E. Coyote and the Road Runner
15. America's Funniest Home Videos
16. The Golden Girls
17. Family Feud
18. Jeopardy
19. Knight Rider (I loved Kit the talking car, fkn awesome fkn show!)
20. MacGyver (I loved this show, being a science nerd, hehe)
21. Matlock
22. Mister Roger's Neighborhood
23. Mork and Mindy
24. Murder, She Wrote
25. Peewee's Playhouse
26. Exosquad (1990s)
27. Earth 2 (1990s)
28. SeaQuest DSV (1990s)
29. Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (1990s)
30. Xena: The Warrior Princess (1990s)
31. Power Rangers (1990s)
32. Thundercats
33. Voltron: Defenders of the Universe
34. Quantum Leap
35. Reading Rainbow
36. She-Ra: Princess of Power
37. Star Trek: The Next Generation
38. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
39. The Waltons
40. Wheel of Fortune
41. The Young Riders (awesome awesome show, I sooo loved Jimmy Hitchcock, and loved how he drank rootbeer as I like rootbeer too, hehe)
42. The Care Bears
43. The Smurfs
44. Yoga Bear
45. (all of the) Looney Toons
46. Tail Spin
47. Darkwing Duck
48. Doug
49. Rugrats

Last edited:

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
Saved by the bell was very great. Good old memories to that series
Just out of curiosity, were you a Kelly fan or a Jessie fan, Koen? And yes, it was a great series. :)

I don't know if it was an '80 series but I do remember there were some bears living underground and they had some enemies which looked like huge trolls. They mostly drunk a potion which made them jump up and down, made them difficult to catch
I think I know what series you are referring to…is it the Gummi Bears?
And I used to watch that show too as a child, it was very fun and it sure brings back fond childhood memories.

- Punky Brewster
I do remember watching Punky Brewster, but just the first season of the series I think because I just watched the episodes in which Punky was a girl and not a teen yet. I also remember watching the animated spin-off, “It’s Punky Brewster!”

43. The Smurfs
How could I have forgotten the Smurfs? Thank you so much for reminding me about them, Hege! :) And noticing the series in your list I think we need a thread for 90’s series. ;) I’m going to create one in a moment.

And here’s another series from my childhood and the 80’s decade:

David el Gnomo (also known as David, the Gnome). That series was awesome. :cool: And many years have gone by since the last time I watched that series but I still clearly remember the opening song.

Last edited:

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers (I haven't looked this up yet, if its in the 80s or the 90s).

(I had a "crush" on Gadget, the cute female chipmunk hehe, she's actually somewhat similar to Winry in FMA, as in they both like tools and are mechanics, lol. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Gadget was the source for Winry.... *grins*)

------------

David the Gnome sounds familar, but sadly I don't recall anything about it at all, doh!

Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Just out of curiosity, were you a Kelly fan or a Jessie fan, Koen? And yes, it was a great series. :)

I think I know what series you are referring to…is it the Gummi Bears?
And I used to watch that show too as a child, it was very fun and it sure brings back fond childhood memories.
Well both had something likeable and dislikeable at the same time. Making an abstraction of their looks, Jessie was smart but she was too feminist (don't misunderstand me, nothing against feminism but I don't like people who are extreme in their behaviour). Kelly on the other hand was bright and very polite but she is then again very popular which can trigger jealousy.

Hmmm, tough choice... Let's say I like Kessie or Jelly (just a mix of them) but a small favour towards cute, happy and polite which is Kelly... no?

You any preference desty, zack or (A.C.) slater?

Yes, that's the series (Gummi bears) indeed. I loved that one a lot together with many things I loved.

How could I have forgotten the Smurfs? Thank you so much for reminding me about them, Hege! :) And noticing the series in your list I think we need a thread for 90’s series. ;) I’m going to create one in a moment.
Belgian comic, we all grew up with Smurfs. Nowadays, it is still, often broadcasting on Belgian TV and it brings back nostalgia.

And here’s another series from my childhood and the 80’s decade:

David el Gnomo (also known as David, the Gnome). That series was awesome. :cool: And many years have gone by since the last time I watched that series but I still clearly remember the opening song.
David, the Gnome... Great creation from Holland, loved those ones too. The fox was awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaTghF5sq-o (best dutch animation song)

Last edited:

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
(again, these might be in the 90s or maybe they are the 80s)

for some animal shows:

1. Rin Tin Tin ?The Canine Cop Dog? = an old Tv show about a cop dog, named Rin Tin Tin (haven't looked this up as well yet, if its in the 80s or 90s, lol)

2. Lassie

3. Old Yeller

4. I forgot what show/movie this was... argh... but it was about a mother bear and her two "naughty, getting into trouble" cubs at a national park, yellow stone I think, and one of her bear cubs was known as "Twinkle Toes" (it would stand up at a car window getting fed by the humans, and as they went to drive off, the bear cub would quickly try to side step keeping up with the car, hence its name of "Twinkle Toes", it was so funny!)

--------------

the U.S. with whatever cable channel (boomerang maybe or the hub or whatever), still airs the Smurfs as well...

and some of the spanish stations still air some of my favorite shows (now if only I was able to learn spanish, lol), like jayce and the wheeled warriors (i couldn't beleive it when I saw it on tv, lol).

Disney does still air Gargoyles, except only some of their episodes, as unfortunately they skip all over the place (episodes are out of order) and even never air some episodes, argh! I'd say they only roughly air half of their episodes, maybe even only 1/3 of their epsidoes. GRRR!!!!

another cable channel still airs Batman Beyond and Batman: The Animated Series.

even Batman the really old school with the live actors and the "POW! BAM! WAM!" Robin: "Holy Smokes, Batman", and that narrator guy's funny words/phrases.

------------------

WTF... no one has mentioned the simpsons... I don't think anyways...

also...

the flintstones

the jetsons

that dino family show, forgot what its called.

Johnny Quest

Last edited:

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I thought The Simpsons started in the 90's. Not sure though.
Anyway, i didn't want to name animated series cause i liked almost everything when i was a child. Of course Thundercats, He-man, Muppets Babies (?) and Smurfs are in my heart.

Edit: Pfffff
Wikipedia: ...first episode of The Simpsons aired on December 17th, 1989...:eyeroll

Last edited:

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
well, I didn't know when the Simpsons aired, and was too lazy to look it up, for all I knew it could very well have been in the 90s, I didn't know it was actually in the 80s either, lol.

--------------

and you do make a really good point, about the cartoons/animated shows:

what cartoon/animated show wasn't awesome when you were a kid?, lol-hehe

(is it jsut that you're a kid, or is it that amazingly ALL/nearly all the shows were just that good, lol. hmm... I actually think, the shows were jsut that good, I don't really think it had anything to do with me being a kid, as I'm sure if a show was bad I wouldn't have liked it even as a kid)

(obviously, as an adult, in re-watching the shows, some of them aren't good or they just boring, but that's just because you're now an adult, and it doesn't neccessarily mean that the show isn't good, it just doesn't have the things for adults to enjoy from it)

Last edited:

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers (I haven't looked this up yet, if its in the 80s or the 90s).
It is an 80’s series, and I was a fan of that TV show as well. :) I even remember the OP song. :D
“Chipchipchip and Dale..”

(I had a "crush" on Gadget, the cute female chipmunk hehe, she's actually somewhat similar to Winry in FMA, as in they both like tools and are mechanics, lol. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Gadget was the source for Winry.... *grins*)
You are right, they do share some similarities. ^_^ And Gadget was a cool girl and if irc, I think both Chip and Dale had a crush on her…but I don’t remember if she had a crush on any of the boys.

Well both had something likeable and dislikeable at the same time. Making an abstraction of their looks, Jessie was smart but she was too feminist (don't misunderstand me, nothing against feminism but I don't like people who are extreme in their behaviour). Kelly on the other hand was bright and very polite but she is then again very popular which can trigger jealousy.

Hmmm, tough choice... Let's say I like Kessie or Jelly (just a mix of them) but a small favour towards cute, happy and polite which is Kelly... no?
Thank you for answering my question! :) And I do agree that Jessie was sometimes too stubborn and extreme in her behavior. While I didn’t dislike Jessie, I liked Kelly a bit more. Now about the boys…A.C. is very cool and he has a great body but I’m a Morris girl. :love
David, the Gnome... Great creation from Holland, loved those ones too. The fox was awesome
Tbh, I don’t really remember the series itself, I just remember enjoying watching it a lot as a child. But judging by the OP, the fox looks like an awesome character indeed. Maybe I should rewatch some episodes of this series to see if I still like it.

I’m more familiar with the original one, but it seems all the versions of it are very similar so I agree, great animation song! :thumbs

the flintstones

the jetsons
Those shows were part of my childhood as well, but I’m not sure if they are from the 80’s, I think they are a bit older…

that dino family show, forgot what its called.
Could you mean this one? And I was a fan of that show too. :D

Last edited:

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
yep, that's the "dino" show I was thinking of :D

destiny4ever

Reaction score