Question - I'm a beginner seeking help from more experienced artists | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question I'm a beginner seeking help from more experienced artists

cherry27

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a beginner drawer I've been drawing for a few months now but I feel as if I'm
Getting no where and that I'm just not improving.
I've traced I've drawn other objects watched tons of tutorials
I've even studied the human anatomy But I feel as if it's not going anywhere I can't even seem to draw the basic figure to make the body
What should I do?

fujinhitokiri

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi there Im not a pro but...studying a few months and feeling down already..what about us we study for years and counting...were still not contented...try to check your old drawings few years ago and compare it now for sure you can find improvement..im doin that always whenever i feel down with my drawings and yes I feel more determined than ever...the most important thing is not pressuring your self to improve in a short time sometimes it takes time enjoying yourself while drawing is the main thing...I had seen so many artist that improved from scratch to wow...believe in your self...that's all I can advice I think :D

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I think you could take it slowly and focus on one 'topic' at a time. Even for drawing figures, you could split it into human anatomy and facial features.

For example, study purely human anatomy first. When you've drawn a lot of them, you'll eventually get the hang of it, which includes learning ways to tackle the difficult parts. For these things, experience teaches you better than books IMO. You'll be able to recognize certain habitual mistakes you make, you'll be able to devise methods to avoid those mistakes. Maybe there will be some strokes that you have trouble with, and over time you'll recognize the problematic strokes which distort your drawing, and you could then fix them in particular. You'll develop your own style and steps, and you can specifically concentrate on a few steps to improve on.

All in all, you have to be really critical of yourself. Analyze your drawing bit by bit. From then identify one part that didn't turn out right and focus on getting that right before moving onto another part of the drawing. Draw a figure, if the arm troubled you, practice getting the arm first, before moving onto the torso or legs. Being bold and not be afraid to try out new things/new methods will certainly help you in what you do, so don't be afraid to switch your stroke order a bit if it worked for you.