Cleaning - In need of cleaning advice | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Cleaning In need of cleaning advice

Soseki

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Hi, I'm still new to cleaning so I was hoping someone could please advise me on how to clean the last panel of this page since I can't seem to get the pattern right.
I'm using Gimp by the way.

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Hi, I'm still new to cleaning so I was hoping someone could please advise me on how to clean the last panel of this page since I can't seem to get the pattern right.
I'm using Gimp by the way.

You can either:

1. Select nearby areas, copy them to new layers and basically jigsaw puzzle it out.

2. Use Clone Tool and choose a few different sources:

2.1. Since the pattern darkens diagonally, set first source on the left, slightly below the top of the text, use that source to redraw half of the text.​
Then, choose a source on the right, slightly above the top of the text and redraw the remaining part.​
2.2. Choose a relatively soft brush (80% hardness max).​
2.3. Make sure to tick "Sample merged" and choose "Aligned" option in Alignment.​
2.4. Here's a little trick you should use - make a new empty layer for each source you choose (so, at least two layers for each strip of text):​
2.4.1. You set the first source and start cloning on the first empty layer.​
2.4.2. You redraw half of the text without worrying that the patterns possibly don't match.​
2.4.3. You choose the [M]ove Tool, you tap your first redraw layer, and then you move that layer about with arrow keys to set a perfect match. Just make sure to disable "Show Layer Boundary" in View.​
2.4.4. You repeat the process on another empty layer and voila~​
If there are any imperfections you fix them the same way - new source on an empty layer. You can use dodge/burn tools (soft brushes, range "midtones", probably) to darken/lighten any areas you might need.​