In Need of Manga Advice | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

In Need of Manga Advice

Angel Payan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I been working on a story of mine for several years now and I'm trying to take the next step of getting the essentials of making a manga. But one thing has gotten me pretty curious is the copyright situation. Since I been working on my story I only have about 74 pages of work finished. The copyright mentions you need a final or the whole book to get it a copyright. So my question is since my story is going to be really long with multiple volumes though they are not finished, should I copyright the first 74 pages as a book to keep everything safe and just copyright everything else that follows or is there another way to do this ?

xallisto

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You would probably be better of talking to a solicitor, lawyer or a publisher about this kind of thing.

mrsticky005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I been working on a story of mine for several years now and I'm trying to take the next step of getting the essentials of making a manga. But one thing has gotten me pretty curious is the copyright situation. Since I been working on my story I only have about 74 pages of work finished. The copyright mentions you need a final or the whole book to get it a copyright. So my question is since my story is going to be really long with multiple volumes though they are not finished, should I copyright the first 74 pages as a book to keep everything safe and just copyright everything else that follows or is there another way to do this ?
Your story, provided it does not infringe on someone else's copyright is already copyrighted by the sheer fact you created it.
However only what you have actually created is copyright and you cannot copyright an idea just your expression of that idea.