Discussion - Interesting translation related articles: | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Interesting translation related articles:

shrimpy

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: An interesting article on game translation...

For even more detail, you may want to either search youtube or get your hands on a copy of the special making of DVD for FF12, there's a one on one interview session with not only this gentleman but his partner too.

What blew my mind is that TWO guys were it?? for the translation team. Obviously, from his comments, there's got to be others who chipped in although they aren't officially recognized as having translation roles.

Crazy.

But, I suppose this is the level you reach when all you do is travel and study. Anybody got a ticket to japan they don't need? ;)

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan

For even more detail, you may want to either search youtube or get your hands on a copy of the special making of DVD for FF12, there's a one on one interview session with not only this gentleman but his partner too.

What blew my mind is that TWO guys were it?? for the translation team. Obviously, from his comments, there's got to be others who chipped in although they aren't officially recognized as having translation roles.

Crazy.

But, I suppose this is the level you reach when all you do is travel and study. Anybody got a ticket to japan they don't need? ;)
I do, but it's from australia and well you need to be me ;_;

runpsicat

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Very interesting read. Thanks. ^_^

itsumobasho

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Crazy.

Actually a lot of times there's only one translator on a particular game. For games like Final Fantasy, and other RPGs, it's not uncommon to have two translators though. There are also a boatload of editors and checkers to make sure that the Japanese and English are consistent for the most part, and grammar and spelling are as accurate as can be. More than likely, Alexander was the main translator and then there was an in-house translator, not to mention a bevy of editors and checkers to work with thim to make the script as polished as possible. Since Alexander is a freelance translator, there's always going to be someone within the company to act as a second translator.