~International Community Hangout~ | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

~International Community Hangout~

Bouland

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Kuwait
Re: General Language Hangout

if u r interested in arabic pm me

just to let u know
arabic now adays is divided into 4 major accents (gulf countries, lebanese/syrian, egyptian & west coast) no arab uses the arabic that u might be studying or know of
those accents vary in the usage of words that r mostly not familiar with the OFFICIAL arabic language, it means those words were invented and used as common words in the specified accent. by saying an accent i don't mean the varieties of pronouncing. an accent in arabic differs greatly from the official arabic language (words, grammar, foreign words used as common words in an accent) . in common day life we never use official arabic except in official papers and press

i'll be able to teach official arabic and gulf countries accent
and i have a good understanding in egyptian and lebanese accents
but no knowledge what so ever in west coast accent

sorry if i scared u away =P

Last edited:

gdupninja

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

If anyone can teach me japanease then they are the best!

morten

Banned
Reaction score
Country
North Korea

Speaking English, French, German, Russian and trying Spanish now.
But I definetly need to learn Japanese, translators are so rare...

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I think I need to say again that the best way to learn or get advice on Japanese is just to go to the Meet the Translators forum here. We do have tons of Japanese-to-English translators who would probably be willing to give you a starting place to learn Japanese, as well as practice it with you, because most of them are studying Japanese for the love of it and would like nothing more than for more people to learn it.

This is also where you can meet the father (for all intents and purposes) of MH - NJT. And he's a very fun guy to talk to, so go and say hi to him. We also have some translator-mods in the Meet the Moderators forum as well; noticeably Zindryr and Sai_the_Shaman. What are you waiting for? Go learn some stuff from our experts here. ;)

Some suggestions on what to ask - favorite Japanese phrases, 5 best Japanese phrases to remember, a good website for Japanese reference, things like that. Keep your questions short and simple and I'm sure you guys will learn more and more over time.

Ramirez

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: ~INTERNATIONAL RESORT HANGOUT~

Can i get some help on how to pronounce something in japanese?

I'm designing a zanpakto (see Bleach for those of you who don't know what is lol) and i have a name in mind but i want it to sound authentic so id like it to be Japanese but im not sure how to write or pronounce any of the symbols.

in english it would be "Iron Deer" or "Iron stag" depending on which one i think sounds better in Japanese lol and the release command would be "Dash." If someone could shoot me a PM with the pronunciations in there, that'd be much appreciated

i didn't think this needed to go in the bleach forums because a knowledge of bleach isn't really necessary to answer the question but if there is a better place to post this, just let me know.

Adorien

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria

I was wondering these days about the use of 'who' and 'whom'. When are they used? And is it the same to say 'whoever' or 'whomever'?
Also, is there any difference between using ' or " to quote something?
Oh, and please tell me if I made a mistake in my sentences.

Thanks in advance!

BakaHaze

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Well to learn the immersive way is to read tons of books so you know instinctively what's correct. But here's the grammatical breakdown anyways.

Simply: Who is the SUBJECT:
Who is that girl?

Whom is the OBJECT"
I asked the guy whom I met online.

...And I'm pretty confused myself.

A better breakdown here lol : Here. ^^

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Also, is there any difference between using ' or " to quote something?
As far as I know, quoting someone requires you to use "...", not '...', like in direct speech. :)

Last edited:

BakaHaze

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Haha, I didn't notice that second half of your question, Adorien. :XD

But I actually think it varies. (I'm talking about using " " and ' ') Cause I've been taught to do the exact opposite of what phio said :rofl

Which means, either is fine. English isn't a very strick or vigourous language, anything goes really.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

But I actually think it varies. (I'm talking about using " " and ' ') Cause I've been taught to do the exact opposite of what phio said :rofl

Which means, either is fine. English isn't a very strick or vigourous language, anything goes really.
LOL, really? I didn't think I remember my lesson wrong, though, ahahaha~
But you're right, I think English, especially for casual usages like conversation in online websites like this, is not very strict in such terms so it's okay. :D

Adorien

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria

Okay, thank you guys! It's cleared up a little now. And about "who" and "whom", I had an idea, because it's the same in Bulgarian and probably in other languages.
Anyways, thanks again! And I really should start reading books in English. It's scary to me when I open a book and don't understand half of it, and then I close it. ^^'

Last edited:

BakaHaze

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia

:XD

Yeah that's what happens when I open a book of chinese, it's like a whole page of squiggles and I suddenly don't feel like reading it anymore. But take it slow, word by word, then piece the whole sentence together. (With a dictionary, or someone who is fluent.)

That's how I worked on my Chinese. :super

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Go, go, Adorien! :grin

Even until now, if I read a book in English, there would be tons of words I didn't understand. I would usually read the whole sentence, decide on the context of the sentence, and return to the unknown word and guess its meaning. As starter, using dictionary might be good, but it is not effective to open a dictionary every time you don't understand a word in a longer text. Guessing like that is the fastest way. Later you can check the meaning on the dictionary, whether you guess it true or not.

But the most important thing is: use your English. Talk, talk, write, write. Don't be afraid that you'll do wrong. You won't realize how quickly you'll grow; I was once through that situation. XD

Adorien

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria

Yeah, I'm thinking of bying the English versions of books I already have, that way I'll know what the story is about and it will be somehow easier. I also think that it's kinda pointless reading with a dictionary, I tried that once and I wasn't getting into the story at all. I do try to write as much as I can, but there isn't anyone I can speak to. So I can understand basic things, but I'm not good at talking. Everytime a foreigner asks me for directions, I'm really nervous and all I can do is say "err" and give some basic, not gramatically correct explanation. So if one day I live somewhere that I'll be only able to express myself in English, I think I will be better at it.
Anyways, thanks for everything, phio-chan! ^^

:XD

Yeah that's what happens when I open a book of chinese, it's like a whole page of squiggles and I suddenly don't feel like reading it anymore. But take it slow, word by word, then piece the whole sentence together. (With a dictionary, or someone who is fluent.)

That's how I worked on my Chinese. :super
Yeah, that's how I'm trying to work on my Japanese. :P Good luck with your Chinese!

Last edited:

Styx

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I found a thread redirecting me to this sub-forum and then I came across this thread. I hope it is okay to post here even though it has been a while since anyone else has? If not, I'm sorry for necroing this thread admin/mods. I meant no harm. :beer

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here speaks Russian and is willing to teach it? My local library has absolutely nothing on the Russian language and I'm pretty much in the middle of nowhere, so I've got no luck there. If anyone would be willing to help me out here, I'd be incredibly grateful. I've been trying to learn for a long time. :sweatdrop

Thanks!