Discussion - Intersectionality | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Intersectionality

weixiaobao

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
On the left, this is a concept that seemed to spread around a lot. But not many people, I think really understood it. Kinda want to test people's bias on the subject matter. So this is a test. How would you explain the high black trans female murder rate. You hitting every boxes here, black, female, and trans.

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Nations in the middle east offer gender reassignment as an option to avoid the negative social stigma and criminal prosecutions attached to homosexuality. Which could trend with trans stats in the region.

Blacks in the USA are one of the poorest demographics. Poverty correlates with violence, crime and homicide. Skin color isn't the most relevant aspect in the black trans debate imo. Its income bracket that is most relevant in determining homicide & crime rates.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blacks in the USA are one of the poorest demographics. Poverty correlates with violence, crime and homicide. Skin color isn't the most relevant aspect in the black trans debate imo. Its income bracket that is most relevant in determining homicide & crime rates.
I wanting a leftist to bite the bait. But after your post, I don't think too many will. Every transgender awareness day, a lot of people doing these "white supremacy" and "patriarchy" thing and then cited the murder rate of black trans women. To the point, in a lot of mind, that transphobic white men killing black trans women in drove or something. And this is why a lot of leftists don't actually understand intersectionality.

Transphobia does come into play. But not from white community. If this was the murder rate of white trans women, then sure. But minority groups can be extremely religious and conservative in some ways. Black community is not exactly the most welcoming of lgbtq+, especially compare to white Americans. Which often meant, the disowning and the rate of homelessness among this group of people. Homelessness does exposed to a lot of violence as well.

Institutional Racism does come to play in term of legacy of segregation. Being born to higher poverty. And poverty, like you said, has high correlation with crime. And the time of jobs that come to play with some of these demographic like prostitution.

And the gender does play a component, because being a trans male would meant more interaction with females (if they identified as straight). Where as trans female interact more with males, particular cis males. Who tend to be more aggressive and more violent.

As I talk to some people, people literally think the cis straight transphobic white men are what killing black trans women in drove. And despite the high rate of murder, since black trans women are but a very very small fraction of the population. I could easy take one year, charted out all the murders, and look into each specific incidents. I don't remember which year I took. But most of them got murdered by black men. Usually either due to domestic violent, robbery went wrong, or violent due to profession like prostitutions.

A nice thing about intersectionality would be, if you want to solve for something like the murder rate of black trans women. In which every articles love to point out at a certain time of the year. You have to dissect it and proposed solutions to this. Like addressing the homophobia/transphobia within the black community. Improved homelessness aid in these neighborhood. Improve some sort of job assistant training and program so people have options. Or even addressing the domestic violent of lgbt relationships.

People have these simple solution of teaching cis straight white males not to be racist transphobic. And I am sure it help in other cases. But not for this particular problem. What even more annoying to me is that they point out these murder rate, and then call for solutions for other stuffs like trans athlete right or something. Which can totally be discuss. But the profile of these people who got murder, none of them are some privileged athlete competition at the highest level in some university.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
People have these simple solution of teaching cis straight white males not to be racist transphobic. And I am sure it help in other cases. But not for this particular problem.
A nice thing about intersectionality would be, if you want to solve for something like the murder rate of black trans women. In which every articles love to point out at a certain time of the year. You have to dissect it and proposed solutions to this. Like addressing the homophobia/transphobia within the black community. Improved homelessness aid in these neighborhood. Improve some sort of job assistant training and program so people have options. Or even addressing the domestic violent of lgbt relationships.
Didn't you answer your own premise with what you wrote? If intersectionality is about demonstrating social issues as being multi-faceted based on someone's background, then solutions should also be multi-faceted.

Not sure I would call it a strawman, but I personally haven't seen some chorus of people saying the solution to black trans murder rate being teaching cishet white men to not be transphobic. Maybe cishet men in general? But...

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
/
Didn't you answer your own premise with what you wrote? If intersectionality is about demonstrating social issues as being multi-faceted based on someone's background, then solutions should also be multi-faceted.

Not sure I would call it a strawman, but I personally haven't seen some chorus of people saying the solution to black trans murder rate being teaching cishet white men to not be transphobic. Maybe cishet men in general? But...
Here is the trend I see. Most articles that bring up with trans issues, cited the murder rate. And then brought up stuffs like trans bathroom at school, or trans athlete, or most trendy at the time. And they did it in a way, that somehow link these issues together. The way the Bush administration mentioned Saddam Hussein and 9/11 together so much, with intention, so that even decade after the Iraq War, a majority of the American people thought Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11.

Some of it could be tangible related like maybe very very small influences. Like I could see the bathroom issues link to murder rate but it should be so so far down the list in term of what correlate. And some of it just affect very very different demographic.

Way back in the day, i see this happened a lot. White women in the USA cited sexism globally. And sometimes things like the abortion of girls in some Asian countries, to treatment of women in the Middle east, and then the call for action and what not that people actually do. Is something like the Air Conditioner in work places is in favor of men. This is more in the rhetoric of people I converse with. Because to be honest, there ain't much any of them can do for the former cases. But it is just interesting to observe. Of course, not everyone does this.

Like all these can be a problems to society or to preference of some demographic. And can be solve separately and not bundle together.

Or in a case, where I saw an African woman who giving a TedX talk about sexism in Africa. But instead of preaching to the people that need to hear the talk, she preaching it to a bunch of white people in the USA which are the people in the room. Unless I supposed she doing to get funding or something, I really hope.

Franckie

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's an issue far outside of my sphere of expertise. I'd have to do in-depth research across the political spectrum just to get a good idea of what's going on. But I lack the time and the interest to do so.