Discussion - Is Kuma going to die in the story? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Is Kuma going to die in the story?

electricmastro

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If Kuma, as well as Bonney, had been presented as much more minor characters, then I probably would ahead been inclined to say that they would get a happy ending by the end of Egghead. But the fact that Oda has pushed this much development with Kuma this hard, presenting him as a self-sacrificing character willing to do anything for the people he cares for and passed on the story of Nika to Bonney, I’m inclined to think otherwise.

Keep in mind, this is the same manga that had Ace get killed in front of Luffy after he went through hell to save him, and Toko laugh at Yasuie’s death after she ate a Smile fruit.

I also get the feeling that Oda tends to not really focus on death unless it’s meant to forward someone’s storyline or have the stakes feel more personal. So if Oda had the plan of having Saturn kill Kuma while trying to save Bonney, and then Bonney’s inherits Kuma’s will to liberate people like Nika did, then I think that would stay true to the feel of the manga and not be out of place.

So I suggest this not because I don’t want Bonney to have a happy ending, but to suggest how Kuma’s death may further Bonney’s story to a more developed level considering how much Egghead has focused on her up to this point.

I think that as long as Bonney is with people like Luffy, the new Nika, then I think a happy ending for Bonney would still be possible. Whatever happens, I’m sure Kuma would be happy too, knowing his daughter is with good company.

WILDCARD 1 7

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
You should turn this into a pole.
Now to the topic I'm actually happy either way. But with how much focus he's getting I don't think he going to make it.
Plus his death would give the WG a win over the Straw Hats and the Revolutionaries which in my opinion they desperately need for me to take them seriously after all these L's they've been taking.

Last edited:

john ellis

Reaction score
Country
Australia
According to admiral fans, the WG hasn’t lost a single battle. It’s just plot armor the admirals can’t one shot the yonko

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I kinda want Bonney to be the next Nakama so I would be fine with a "sad" ending for Kuma. Ultimately, I think He already died when He became a robot.

SanaNeOlm

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think he is going to. Saturn was right about Kuma, he was born to be a slave and the WG made sure of that. I think his death is going to be his peace, as sad as is is.

But I still wonder, did Kuma meet up with Luffy and taught him the dance? (even though I have no idea how and why he would know about Nika and Luffy) And then stored away his memories? Is he coming back to give Luffy his memories back? It is a wild theory but his death would then have more impact on Luffy and also make Bonney more important to the crew.

Vanshrimp

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
now it is almost, confirmed, "the" kuma" everyone once knew, is gone. what remains is just a cybord.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
More than a cyborg, his brain is simply empty. While he is mostly gone and likely to stay gone i feel like there's a tiny amount of hope left for him as long as his brain isn't a fried potato.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I hope he does without seeing his daughter in his own eyes and mind. That'd be a good ending, especially since Bonney did get to see him.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like Kuma will have his comeback in any case.

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Akainu melted half of Kuma's face just like Whitebeard, and also took one of his legs.

Now Kuma is only covered in blood, and even his hat regenerated...

RaisinRisin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think that as long as Bonney is with people like Luffy, the new Nika, then I think a happy ending for Bonney would still be possible. Whatever happens, I’m sure Kuma would be happy too, knowing his daughter is with good company.
Any thoughts since the latest chapter? Bonney getting to see the flashbacks seemed in and of itself a death flag for Kuma at the time, but on the other hand, it's going to feel incredibly unfair if he never gets to be present enough to notice Luffy's awakened form, and if they never get to thank him. So maybe he gets a few meaningful scenes before tragically dying OR considering the nature of Nika, maybe the Straw Hats will go out of their way to do something incredible to "liberate" him. Apparently the Buccaneer physiology has more secrets, and he's clergy so he may as well get a miracle.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any thoughts since the latest chapter? Bonney getting to see the flashbacks seemed in and of itself a death flag for Kuma at the time, but on the other hand, it's going to feel incredibly unfair if he never gets to be present enough to notice Luffy's awakened form, and if they never get to thank him. So maybe he gets a few meaningful scenes before tragically dying OR considering the nature of Nika, maybe the Straw Hats will go out of their way to do something incredible to "liberate" him. Apparently the Buccaneer physiology has more secrets, and he's clergy so he may as well get a miracle.
I think it really depends on what Oda wants to do with Bonney’s character at this point. Oda has killed character’s like Ace and Cobra presumably to forward a character’s story, so Kuma might fall into the same category.

I wouldn’t doubt Kuma would get sentimental final moments though.

RaisinRisin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I guess now it all depends on how the confrontation with Saturn ends...

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
So Kuma got his Whitebeard moment, but now he can’t move. I wonder where Kuma and Bonney will go from here.