Discussion - Is Tristan Partly Human? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Is Tristan Partly Human?

Tristan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
We know he's being identified as "Nephilim", but Nephilim according to Melascula is "half-goddess, half-demon". IIRC, Nakaba in one of the Q&As stated something similar to that.
But again, we have Elizabeth saying back when she was pregnant with Tristan that she was "half-human". Is Tristan a hybrid of THREE clans? What do you think?

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
No, I don't believe so. Didn't she mention that she is partly Human because of Zeldris and Gelda's remark?

Tristan

Reaction score
Country
Germany
No, I don't believe so. Didn't she mention that she is partly Human because of Zeldris and Gelda's remark?
If that's the case, then Tristan is pretty much the only KoA who isn't at least partly Human.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

@FKS, can you please link me to the Q&As where Nakaba addressed the issue of Tristan's race being "half goddess / half demon"?

Brim787

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well , his blood is of a Demons , that we know . Though the other half seems more along the Human lines biologically , & the Goddess line spiritually | astrally | however people & powers get put inside new bodies .

Though it’s kinda odd how the verbiage is thrown around . A Nephilim would be a Goddess + Human baby . A Cambion is moreover of what Tristan is from our viewpoint , & the correct Term for Meliodas & Goddess Eli’s child is a Nephalem. Always was odd to me , but it’s not my series . & The guy does this himself so I’ll cut him whatever slack .

Undina

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Correct me if I'm wrong, but theologically only the nephilim concept exists, with various ways to write it across the ancient texts mentioning it, while nephalem is a modern fiction expy of it, mainly found in the game Diablo. So, Nakaba wouldn't be in the wrong to call Tristan "nephilim", whichever combo of races he is, especially since in some texts, the punishment for the Watchers, the group of angels who fathered them, and for a portion of these very nephilim, was to be turned into the demons of our current perception, who would tempt the humans into sin. Moreover, what with the various translations for the terms describing the divine fathers these "giants" had, sometimes the rebellious and sinful angels are addressed as fallen angels, again, later perceived as demons directly...and what with the portrayal and origin story Nakaba gave the 2 clans, demons and goddesses, they're all the "children of god(s)" and their males would be the biblical "sons of god" some way or another. So, whichever way you slice it, Tristan is nephilim, even if he's a combo of all 3 races.

BTW, I forgot to mention it, but I think it's not the Q&A that is relevant towards Tristan's biological make up, but rather what Mel himself said during the discussion between the group, Thetis and Mel on what Arthur is doing to Britannia's landscape and Camelot's barrier. Unless the translation is somehow wrong there, he specifically said that Lance and Tristan are "part non-human"(referencing Tristan's goddess and demon legacy as "non-human" and making the other "part" as "human").

Last edited:

Redpercy

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Part of him is definitely human
How will Camelot enter if not like that?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The series seems to be playing it loose regarding tristan's race. Elizabeth is definitely currently human but a human capable of wielding just about the full might she had back as a goddess. Tristan biologically must be half human and is capable of wielding her mother's ark.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Part of him is definitely human
How will Camelot enter if not like that?
It wasn't made clear if it only allows Humans or if Hybrids are an exception. Theoritically, King and Diane's kids should be able to enter as well considering what Thetis said.

Redpercy

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
It wasn't made clear if it only allows Humans or if Hybrids are an exception. Theoritically, King and Diane's kids should be able to enter as well considering what Thetis said.
I think he did not mean hybrids in general, but only hybrids who carry human genes
Lancelot and Tristan can enter Camelot not because they are hybrids, but because they contain human genes.
Lancelot carries human genes from his father's side and Tristan from his mother's side
When Elizabeth was pregnant with Tristan, she told Meliodas that she was half-human and therefore part of Tristan would be human.
As long as you carry even a few human genes, you can enter Camelot

Tristan

Reaction score
Country
Germany
The recent chapter just cemented the definition of Nephilim mentioned in ch. 68 ( Nephilim「ネフィリム, Nefirimu): the offspring of a Demon and Goddess.
A human wielding goddess power is not a "goddess". So I'll go with the definition mentioned by Melascula and this Hitmonlee-looking demon.

Undina

Reaction score
Country
Romania
I'm going with the 3-parter, cause Elizabeth is not a human with goddess power, she is repeatedly addressed as goddess(the soul of a goddess complete with her own original magic and skillset) bound/reborn in a human body, courtesy of the curse. Her being spiritually a true blue goddess doesn't cancel the fact that she was set up with a human physical form, unlike the AAs and other goddesses who were allowed the path to restoring their original bodies. And unlike Escanor who was from the get go a human soul, born in a human body, with a goddess' ability/grace latching onto him from before birth.
So if Meliodas' demon biology was allowed to play a part in Tristan's, then Elizabeth's now human biology would too.
Also, I'm less inclined to trust an episodic character who can't even understand how much trouble they're asking for by ignoring other blatant realities(their boss and boss's brother gunning for their necks if they harm said nephilim, specified to be those two's close relative) over the child's mother, who should know(at least by her pregnancy) better than any random meathead what she is and how that effects her baby.
Moral of the story, demons(maybe the goddesses too) think a nephilim is the impure offspring of the 2 main antagonistic races(humans would usually be inconsequential to them), or an artificial mixture of the same races, but Nakaba extends it to Tristan and his particular circumstances cause his sources of inspiration allow it.

Tristan

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm going with the 3-parter, cause Elizabeth is not a human with goddess power, she is repeatedly addressed as goddess(the soul of a goddess complete with her own original magic and skillset) bound/reborn in a human body, courtesy of the curse. Her being spiritually a true blue goddess doesn't cancel the fact that she was set up with a human physical form, unlike the AAs and other goddesses who were allowed the path to restoring their original bodies. And unlike Escanor who was from the get go a human soul, born in a human body, with a goddess' ability/grace latching onto him from before birth.
So if Meliodas' demon biology was allowed to play a part in Tristan's, then Elizabeth's now human biology would too.
Also, I'm less inclined to trust an episodic character who can't even understand how much trouble they're asking for by ignoring other blatant realities(their boss and boss's brother gunning for their necks if they harm said nephilim, specified to be those two's close relative) over the child's mother, who should know(at least by her pregnancy) better than any random meathead what she is and how that effects her baby.
Moral of the story, demons(maybe the goddesses too) think a nephilim is the impure offspring of the 2 main antagonistic races(humans would usually be inconsequential to them), or an artificial mixture of the same races, but Nakaba extends it to Tristan and his particular circumstances cause his sources of inspiration allow it.
What about this one then?

Undina

Reaction score
Country
Romania
What about this one then?

Idk what to say to that, cause Idk how much of an expert on goddesses she is...I love both, but I'm trusting Elizabeth more on this.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Honestly don't see the point of thinking of Tristan as someone Half-Demon and 25% Human or something. Elizabeth is a Goddess with a Human body now. Tristan is the only hybrid with a clear name for his race, not Half X-Half Y. Mera compared him to her own artificial Nephilim, he is 50% Demon and Goddess.
No one ever says they feel "Human power" from him. This Demon-Goddess duality is at its core for him as a character.

Merlin is just Human with a broken time manipulation ability. She doesn't have powers belonging to the other races.

Redpercy

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Elizabeth is a Goddess with a Human body now
In fact, she is half human according to her own admission

Mera compared him to her own artificial Nephilim, he is 50% Demon and Goddess.
Mera's artificial Nephilim a mixture of G and Demons spirits (but she didn't mention any percentages like 50% or whatever)
Elizabeth's has his original G spirit, but she remains half-human and has human biology

+ Mera's knowledge of Tristan itself was superficial and she made mistakes about him in other matters.

No one ever says they feel "Human power" from him
I'm sure no one was feeling human power from Escanor (Sunshine clearly wasn't human power) but did that mean he wasn't human?
Chaos, without a doubt, is not a human power, but I don't think that this means that Arthur is not human
Likewise, Elizabeth always possessed the powers of the G clan, but that does not prevent her from admitting that she is half human.
Guila now has demonic powers, but I don't think that prevents us from considering her human
etc....

Tristan

Reaction score
Country
Germany
In fact, she is half human according to her own admission

Mera's artificial Nephilim a mixture of G and Demons spirits (but she didn't mention any percentages like 50% or whatever)
Elizabeth's has his original G spirit, but she remains half-human and has human biology

+ Mera's knowledge of Tristan itself was superficial and she made mistakes about him in other matters.

I'm sure no one was feeling human power from Escanor (Sunshine clearly wasn't human power) but did that mean he wasn't human?
Chaos, without a doubt, is not a human power, but I don't think that this means that Arthur is not human
Likewise, Elizabeth always possessed the powers of the G clan, but that does not prevent her from admitting that she is half human.
Guila now has demonic powers, but I don't think that prevents us from considering her human
etc....

The assertion that Elizabeth is 'half-Human,' as mentioned in NnT, appears irrelevant given the evidence that followed. As @Demonspeed noted, a 50% demon and 25% goddess composition is unsuitable for bipolar characters like Tristan. If his demon genes dominate over his goddess lineage, it would impede his mastery of Nephilim powers. Nakaba's clarification, as shared by @Redworld96, indicates that Tristan is purely half-demon and half-goddess.

Redpercy

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
The assertion that Elizabeth is 'half-Human,' as mentioned in NnT, appears irrelevant given the evidence that followed. As @Demonspeed noted, a 50% demon and 25% goddess composition is unsuitable for bipolar characters like Tristan. If his demon genes dominate over his goddess lineage, it would impede his mastery of Nephilim powers. Nakaba's clarification, as shared by @Redworld96, indicates that Tristan is purely half-demon and half-goddess.
I don't think it is appropriate for us to leave out information that was clearly stated in the manga and taking a statement mentioned in a Q.A.

Also, Meliodas' earlier reference to Tristan as non full-human itself seems to be an indication that Tristan is partially human, otherwise Meliodas would have simply said that he is non-human.

+ Tristan can be partially human, and this will not really prevent him from being bipolar characters, full of duality between the demon side and the G side.
Elizabeth was half human, but her powers were full G power

+ Frankly, i don't think it's really necessary for the "Demon's side = the G's side" to master harmony between them

When Mael absorbed the Four Commandments, it was clear that the demonic powers were the source of his greatest power, however, this didn't seem prevent him from combining the power of the demons and the G at that time.

And it is not as if there is an actual equality between the two sides for Tristan, as his Demon side seems much stronger than his G side.

Rey151203

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
And it is not as if there is an actual equality between the two sides for Tristan, as his Demon side seems much stronger than his G side.
and this can confirm that he is 25% human, 25% goddess and 50% demon, as he is more of a demon and that is why his demon side is stronger than goddess, with this I believe that his evolution will be to adapt and mix the divine power to demonic power, how to use a black ark for example, or a holy blaze,

Rey151203

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
No, I don't think having Human genes matter. Event a Giant-Goddess hybrid could enter.
You really asked me out of curiosity what a hybrid of a giant/goddess would be like, or a demon/fairy

Redpercy

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Yes, but everyone else addresses her as a goddess, and it's because of the soul-magic connection relevance in this universe.
I know, and when i say that she is half human, i am talking about the biological aspect (which is reflected in things such as her age and her body which are closer and similar to humans than any other race).

As for the powers, i know that she is 100% G power.