Joint Review of Bakuman 176: Dreams and Reality. 10 Years Later | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Joint Review of Bakuman 176: Dreams and Reality. 10 Years Later

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
That gives us a good few days.

alphabeta

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Good. I got official confirmation from Knife that Bakuman section will still be alive by 23rd. (Apperantly even after that :ninja)

Doesn't mean we can afford to slack off though. :pwnge

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Okay, here is the new section list from the OP. As you see, I removed the fanboy/hater from the impressions. It's just a standard impressions section as last time.

Section List

alphabetaArt (Analysis), Intro/Outro, Panels and Captions
FrostyMousePlot (Analysis)
OtakuModeEngageImpressions, Poll
kdownsCharacter (Analysis)
GintaraBanner

OtakuModeEngage

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
starting now

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

The general three problems people seem to have with this chapter are: timing, wedding, and absence of Tagaki. So I was thinking I could set it up as a pick more than one choice poll.

Do you feel the absence of:

1. Tagaki was a crucial mistake, as he was a leading character?
2. Tagaki allowed Azuki and Mashiro to have a vital romantic moment?
3. the wedding was a crucial mistake, because the manga has always lead towards their marriage?
4. the wedding was not a big deal, because we know it will happen anyway, and weddings are boring?
5. The manga ended too soon, ONE MORE CHAPTER!
6. The manga ended at an acceptable timing?
7. The manga ended at a perfect time?

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Dealine's tomorow, but I wanna see some stuff today guys. Even if it's not finished, I don't care, post what you already got.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Christ, guys, have you even started writing stuff? :bored

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
If you wanted stuff today, you should've made the deadline today, not tomorrow. ;)

OtakuModeEngage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whoa... it was a lot harder writing an impression this time

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

First we see the color page, and while it’s not quite the wedding scene we have been anticipating, it is beautiful depiction of their future wedding to come.

The next page brings us into the final chapter; but with Mashiro driving a Ferrari? Many of us were surely shocked to see this out-of-character activity, from our down-to-earth frugal protagonist. But it is later revealed that he is indeed driving the Ferrari, not for his own sake, but to accomplish his deceased uncle’s, Nobuhiro’s dream, which is rather ironic. I’ll take this moment to remind you that Mashiro’s dreams cannot exist without Nobuhiro’s failure; had he truly helped Nobuhiro achieve his dreams, then this beautiful love story would not have, and could not have come to pass. To be honest, if I were Nobuhiro, I would oppose Mashiro and Azuki’s marriage, because I would desire to marry Azuki’s mom; and by doing so, the unfortunate consequence would be that Azuki would not have born in the first place. So in fact, Mashiro’s success can’t be anything close to accomplishing Nobuhiro’s dreams, but rather crushing them with his own. It’s a good thing Nobuhiro is not alive after all, or this story would have taken a far more complex and dark turn. But none-the-less, that Mashiro thinks his actions would please his uncle, is truly Mashiro like, and our worries are put to rest.

We see Mashiro’s trusty love handbook, and I have to admit, I’m a bit astonished that he relies so heavily on its contents; trusting his future on the advice of a man who failed to obtain his love. On the other hand, once again we see how close Mashiro is to Nobuhiro, as they both attest to the happiest moments of their lives spent in the company of the one they love. So there you have it; it seems the only difference between these two, is that Mashiro took the initiative to propose; which, sadly, is only another lesson learned from his uncle’s failure.

In the next scene the anime airs and Azuki cries happily as her dream comes true with ‘I hope you’ll solve the equation of love too someday,’ which somehow seems like a message Mashiro aimed at himself, given the timing and the fact that Azuki’s happiness, is due to the fact that unlike the ending in Reversi, Mashiro did solve the love equation. Or in other words, took the right path unlike his unfortunate uncle.

Azuki, having missed all the years of teenage anxiety that comes with dating, understandably panics before meeting Mashiro outside. She then stops in shock before the Furrari, and the worry that he may have changed, is clear on her face as she shyly informs him, “But it kinda doesn’t suit you…” One again reminding me of the line, “you’ve changed Satoru” from Reversi, perhaps reflecting Mashiro’s fear that when he and Azuki finally get together, they would be too different and the relationship would fall apart. But after a beautiful number of flashbacks and their cute conversation about sitting together, Mashiro explains that he bought the car to achieve his uncle’s dream, and Azuki is relieved to find him the same Mashiro she fell in love with. This course of events also serves to establish romance between the two, and for once we readers are paid for our dedication to Bakuman.

Finally this chapter and Bakuman as a whole, comes to a close, with the same proposal we saw in chapter one, bringing us full circle through the use of parallel structure. Mashiro repeating the first words they spoke to each other, the first promise they made, the words that have controlled their whole life up to this point, and words that have been the summery of their relationship; manages perfect words to propose to her, and an extremely romantic one at that. I couldn’t help but to feel emotional as a reader, especially with the amazing art, doubling Azuki to her past self. She responds to his proposal with their first kiss, a kiss that is only the start, of their endless kisses to come. “From now on, we can always be by each other’s side.”

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Why am I not surprised that only Otaku took the deadline seriously?

Fuck, why am I not surprised that even I didn't finish in time? :fail

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Okay, Frosty, KD, prepare to experience to full strength of my wrath. Where are your parts? I have a decent excuse, my dog ate my review.

What are your excuses? :pwnge

OtakuModeEngage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why am I not surprised that only Otaku took the deadline seriously?

Fuck, why am I not surprised that even I didn't finish in time? :fail

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Okay, Frosty, KD, prepare to experience to full strength of my wrath. Where are your parts? I have a decent excuse, my dog ate my review.

What are your excuses? :pwnge
Your viral dog right? You should have programmed its training better.:edu

kdowns

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I just can't bring my self to do a character analysis about this chapter plus I have been super duper busy with Tech Week for the musical.

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I just can't bring my self to do a character analysis about this chapter plus I have been super duper busy with Tech Week for the musical.
We have time. Are you gonna come back after the musical or should we find someone else?