Joint Review of D. Gray Man 212: Searching for A.W. / Calling For You | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Joint Review of D. Gray Man 212: Searching for A.W. / Calling For You

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphabeta

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
D. Gray Man 212: Searching for A.W. / Calling For You
A Joint Review

(Someone needs to write the introduction here)

The chapter begins with Johnny and Kanda chasing after Allen. However, Kanda notices a sinister-looking silhouette that was, in turn, following after them. The way the silhouette was vaguely formed is interesting, because it could be a number of characters, including Fiddler, Link, or even Lulu Bell, whose human form matched the silhouette (not to mention her troubling shapeshifting abilities, which are underused by Hoshino). Throughout the chapter, Kanda repeatedly notices this mysterious person following them, which is Hoshino's way of saying "THIS IS GOING TO BE IMPORTANT GUYS!" But more on that later...

Allen is, once again, succumbing to the Fourteenth's memories, but this time it seems like it's actually going to happen. He also has an interesting hallucination. It's unclear whether Allen was just imagining what he saw, or if he actually saw a bit of Nea's memories. Either way, it is very obvious that it was a younger version of Mana asking Nea if he hates him. The fact that Allen never saw the younger Mana before (Mana was a middle aged man when they first met in the canon novel D.Gray-man Reverse 3) is what really leads me to believe that it was indeed Nea's memory of the past. I hope Hoshino expands on this in the (near) future instead of teasing us even more.

In the next scene, Kanda and Johnny come to the conclusion that Crown Clown is still protecting Allen despite the fact that he's a Noah. This is an extremely significant revelation. It shows that the Innocence has the same "ends justify the means" stance as the Order and, most importantly, that Nea may not be as evil as he appears. Crown Clown's behavior also addresses the massive plot hole about why Allen isn't dead yet since he's a Noah with an Innocence attached to his body. Jasdevi's arm practically mutated when he came into contact with Innocence, so it was always curious why Allen wasn't affected by the Innocence he was always in contact with.

Hoshino could pull another deus ex machina to delay Nea's awakening, but I don't think it would be in the best interest of the story. The perfect pieces are now in place for Allen to turn into the Fourteenth. Johnny, Allen's biggest supporter, Kanda, who owes Allen a great debt, and the suspiciously not-dead Link, who was revealed to be Kanda's stalker during the cliffhanger ending. It's quite possible that Link is Lulu Bell in disguise, but I personally believe that it is indeed the real Link at the end of the chapter. Remember when Lvellie asked Zu to save Link because he needed Link to save Allen (and the Fourteenth)? It is likely that Zu saved Link's life, which resulted in Zu's death because he had already used up most of his life force on healing Allen during the Alma Karma arc. It is likely that we will find out what Lvellie wants Link to do in the next chapter. Unfortunately there is a hiatus next month, which is just cruel on top of the cliffhanger, but Hoshino hasn't disappointed in these last few months. Next chapter should be a great one!

(Empty Field)

Short term prediction
Since Allen is fighting with the 14th memories, its a half sure that we could see a little more of this memories, but an akuma could suddenly appear and f*cks everything because Kanda is out there with –is really him?-Link.

That is another interesting point, I can’t be so sure that is Link in the last page. Since I saw that necklace that apo-chan has. I was wondering why would he appear and hide himself? He has nothing to hide right? ANd then, more possibilities came to me, if that is Lullubel –that we haven’t seen since chapter 195, and it wasn’t in action- or even Cross? But Cross’s possibility was eliminated when I realized that he doesn’t k now what happened to link –i guess.

To next chapter, I’m really waiting for Lavi –what seems really improbable- but, I guess the most important thing will be what’s Link's goal and will Allen win against 14th’s memories? It’s time to see a little conversation between them?

Long term Prediction
The chapter ends with Allen blacking out and Link suddenly coming into the picture. For this prediction, I will focus on two basic parts. One being the Internal Conflict part of the ark, and two being the External Conflict. With the way things are going, I believe it isn't to far off to say that we are now entering something like 'The Growth of Allen Walker' ark. Hoshino did mention it in an interview, and Johnny did as well in 212 page 27.

Going deeper into the Internal Conflict part of this prediction, I'd like to emphasize a few things:

"Don't let him sleep", I quote. "If you do, it'll be his end. Allen will be swallowed deep within and disappear." - from Ch 202 - p. 32 and again from Ch 212 - p. 09.
"THANK YOU!! ALLEN WALKER'S NOW GONE! <3" - Ch 198 p. 10
And Ch 206 focusing on Cross' conversation with Baba about Allen being merely a vessel to be taken over by the 14th.

So far those parts of the manga have been repeatedly hinting on Allen being totally consumed by the 14th. Now that Allen has fallen asleep during the change, the prospect of the above happening isn't something we can scratch out that easily.

But of course, what is a good plot without a loophole or contradiction of sorts no? Well, seeing as how Hoshino pulled a counter phenomenon with Ch 203 p. 17 with Cross saying "When we first met, he didn't call himself 'Allen'..." and the "Should have noticed the mistake sooner!", I can now conclude that she has an awesome way of messing with our brains so much that events are almost unpredictable.

The next few chapters will possibly cover more about the 14th, Mana, and maybe a hint of why not noticing 'Allen' not being Allen before was a mistake. Whatever type of mistake it is though, I believe it will be something really important, and will probably be a reason why Allen cannot be completely erased. It might even touch the mystery of Allens birth and the reason he was born with Innocence in the first place.

For the second part of the prediction, we might be seeing a mot more action.

Lets remember that the Noah's deliberately left Allen alone to lure the Apocryphos to them. With Allen changing and judging by Apo's time of appearance when that first happen, he'll be alive and kicking in the next few chapter. Apocryphos will probably want to get to Allen before everything is too late and there will be an interception between by the Noahs. Apo will focus on Allen, the Noah's on Apo for the time being, Kanda + Link on keeping both sides away....and Johnny on keeping Allen away from the battlefield. The cycle will probably continue until Allen wakes up and changes the flow of the fight with his decision.

• [user]Cezgeth[/user] (Team Captain)
  • [user]Niko_kun[/user]
  • [user]Jaymie[/user]
  • [user]unknownymous[/user]
  • [user]Kisame Hoshigaki[/user]

Last edited:

Jaymie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I'm Jaymie. It's nice to be collaborating with you all on such an amazing series!

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hello everyone! U can call me niko and I hope we can do an amazing job. Some of u I saw at DGM thread :) lets do our best :D

unknownymous

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi everyone! It's great to be a part of this. Lets all do our best.

You can call me anon BTW. :^_^

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
/still waiting for Cez to subscribe... :mono

Quantized

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Hello everyone, looking forward to be working with you all.
It seems we all like D.Gray-Man quite a lot, so this will be interesting!

You can call me Cezgeth or Cez for short, whichever you prefer :)

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Hello everyone, looking forward to be working with you all.
It seems we all like D.Gray-Man quite a lot, so this will be interesting!

You can call me Cezgeth or Cez for short, whichever you prefer :)
You may have changed your name, but you're still the same reviewer for me :kukuku

Anyway, I'll call ya Cez and everyone else by their nicknames. When there's 40 people in an organization and everyone has 20 characters long usernames it helps shortening it. :cheez

Quantized

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
You may have changed your name, but you're still the same reviewer for me :kukuku

Anyway, I'll call ya Cez and everyone else by their nicknames. When there's 40 people in an organization and everyone has 20 characters long usernames it helps shortening it. :cheez
w00p, the admins are fast, just requested it and was thinking to post here about it once done, but you got me first :3
Everyone call me Cez anyway, whether it's Cezgeth or not, so that's fine :)

So, what's gonna happen next boss? :3

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
So, what's gonna happen next boss? :3
That's the attitude! :beer I like how that boss sounds :gar

Anyway, I'll post the details a today/tomorrow.

And don't mention my avatar. I'm playing in the mafia game and the host happens to have a grudge against me -_-;

REN KOUEN

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
D. Gray Man 212: Searching for A.W. / Calling For You
A Joint Review

/insert banner here

Analysis:

Impressions:

Predictions:

• [user]alphabeta[/user]
  • [user]Niko_kun[/user]
  • [user]Cezgeth[/user]
  • [user]Jaymie[/user]
  • [user]unknownymous[/user]

i will help if you guys want, i love DGM

let me know what to do and how i can help

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
i will help if you guys want, i love DGM

let me know what to do and how i can help
Oh... cool... my first recruitment! :zomg

Anyway, just give me a little time to adjust this all to my plans.

Welcome to the team :beer

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
wowooowowow lets make an incredible job to this amazing series!!! go go team! hahaha

Quantized

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
That's the attitude! :beer I like how that boss sounds :gar

Anyway, I'll post the details a today/tomorrow.

And don't mention my avatar. I'm playing in the mafia game and the host happens to have a grudge against me -_-;
I'll magically forget about your avatar.. "It was never there, nope, it was all an illusion!." :xp

wowooowowow lets make an incredible job to this amazing series!!! go go team! hahaha
Just assuming here, that we'll have 10 days to get the current chapter done.
Considering the thread title, chapter 212, and 213 is released the 4th of March (in 10 days).

We're gonna be busy :coffeeshock

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Just assuming here, that we'll have 10 days to get the current chapter done.
Considering the thread title, chapter 212, and 213 is released the 4th of March (in 10 days).

We're gonna be busy :coffeeshock
Noo, we won't :( the next chapter will be out only on April 4th :/// it was said in the last page from 212 night ))): we have a lot of time xD

Quantized

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Noo, we won't :( the next chapter will be out only on April 4th :/// it was said in the last page from 212 night ))): we have a lot of time xD
Crasp, I hope not.. but are you sure? I can't seem to find it, and iirc, it was pre-212 that we had one months break and two months wait?

Last page 211 - http://www.mangareader.net/dgray-man/211/21 (As riki once was so kind to explain to me, it works this way in case of confusement. The March issue is posted a month before, so 212 is released in February, and 211 was released the 4th December, in the January release).
Last page 212 - http://www.mangareader.net/dgray-man/212/30

I might just have missed it though, atleast I can't find it.

Was thinking to start over and read D.Gray-Man from scratch to get new and fresh inputs, anyone want to join?

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Crasp, I hope not.. but are you sure? I can't seem to find it, and iirc, it was pre-212 that we had one months break and two months wait?

Last page 211 - http://www.mangareader.net/dgray-man/211/21 (As riki once was so kind to explain to me, it works this way in case of confusement. The March issue is posted a month before, so 212 is released in February, and 211 was released the 4th December, in the January release).
Last page 212 - http://www.mangareader.net/dgray-man/212/30

I might just have missed it though, atleast I can't find it.

Was thinking to start over and read D.Gray-Man from scratch to get new and fresh inputs, anyone want to join?
Nooo, since chap 207 we don't have any break xD just now... I guess is because that she wants to work on everything to 23 volume... I think she'll make an omake or extra :D

Quantized

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Nooo, since chap 207 we don't have any break xD just now... I guess is because that she wants to work on everything to 23 volume... I think she'll make an omake or extra :D
Hopefully it's something of that sort, would both be sad for her and bad for us if she is sick again, I hope not.

But I don't see any month break in the latest chapter, released on mangareader on 02/07/2012, so it would mean we'll have a D.Gray-Man chapter between the 4'th and 7th of Marts.

She also broke the habit of each second month release in chapter 209 and 210, then again a months break in 211 towards 212. But there are none mentioned between 212 and 213.

So assuming we'll have a chapter between the 4th and 7th Marts.

Unless you have a source telling othervice somewhere in your pockets? :3

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Look....a Cez...nice seeing you here...I'll be looking forward to work with you, when we'll actually review something I read(smacks alpha:modsmack)....but until then I'll be watching you guys...so give it your best guys!!:cheerbunny

alphabeta

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Look....a Cez...nice seeing you here...I'll be looking forward to work with you, when we'll actually review something I read(smacks alpha:modsmack)....but until then I'll be watching you guys...so give it your best guys!!:cheerbunny
Wait, why did I just receive a smack? :pwnge

You told me that you wouldn't be writing any reviews 'till your exams were over!! :yelling

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Last page of 212. "D-grayman will be on a break next issue"

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hopefully it's something of that sort, would both be sad for her and bad for us if she is sick again, I hope not.

But I don't see any month break in the latest chapter, released on mangareader on 02/07/2012, so it would mean we'll have a D.Gray-Man chapter between the 4'th and 7th of Marts.

She also broke the habit of each second month release in chapter 209 and 210, then again a months break in 211 towards 212. But there are none mentioned between 212 and 213.

So assuming we'll have a chapter between the 4th and 7th Marts.

Nooo, there wasn't any break since the 207 chapter :D
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/d_gray_man/ <<< just look at the release dates, since 207, one in every month :) and like alpha said in the post above mine xD the last page is the source that we won't have the 213 chapter in march :)

Status
Not open for further replies.