Seinen - Kaijuu #8 by Naoya Matsumoto | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Kaijuu #8 by Naoya Matsumoto

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Kaijuu #8 by Naoya Matsumoto

Serialized in: Jump+
Serialization: Weekly, updates every Thursday
Reading sources: Mangaplus, Viz.com
A man working a job far removed from his childhood dreams gets wrapped up in an unexpected situation…! Becoming a monster, he aims once again to fulfill his lifelong dream…!​
Post here for your thoughts, discussion on Kaijuu #8’s latest chapters and developments!​

Thehoennhippo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kinda surprised it took this long for a Kaiju no 8 thread to show up! Overall I've enjoyed the series so far but not to the point of loving it. I'm interested to see where the series goes after this exam arc, especially with the ending of the latest chapter.

TyVip

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
after 7 chapters, i think it is pretty ordinary

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
It is indeed ordinary but it does it well to capture interest of readers, at least he many comments in M+ speak for lots of reader attention. Compared to let's say Black Clover which was so generic that it was annoying me, this one is so ordinary it actually pleases me, lol. XD
So far the characters are sympathetic for obvious reasons like MC with his dream at his age, the kouhai with his loyalty and even Kikoru with her competence. Like the Kafka is funny as a monster, Leno is heart-warming with his tsundere side to his Senapi and Kikoru is pretty darn cool and got a fitting backstory. I like that Kafka looks cool as a monster and that he is not scared of showing this side (or too stupid to realize it how much this puts him in danger, lol) to protect others like right now Kikoru. I like that Leno never abandons his Senpai even when he was only a 0% on his monster suit. I like Kikoru actually having the ability to make the MC eat his words while being serious about her job like protecting others even at the risk of her own life.
It does nothing extraordinary or unheard of, but I think what it does it does with heart and humor and I believe that this is what many people draws them to read this series atm.^^

Kobī-Stan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Loved chapter 1 & 2, then it fluctuates for me, but only between good and great.

I agree with James on how multiple "Ordinary" series can capture different levels of intrigue. Even in a new world, the ordinariness gives me a sense of warm comfort I like in my more lighthearted shounen, so it just comes down to how it executes, which I have liked so far.

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm having a hard time finding this manga. Can someone link it?

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
It is indeed ordinary but it does it well to capture interest of readers, at least he many comments in M+ speak for lots of reader attention. Compared to let's say Black Clover which was so generic that it was annoying me, this one is so ordinary it actually pleases me, lol. XD
So far the characters are sympathetic for obvious reasons like MC with his dream at his age, the kouhai with his loyalty and even Kikoru with her competence. Like the Kafka is funny as a monster, Leno is heart-warming with his tsundere side to his Senapi and Kikoru is pretty darn cool and got a fitting backstory. I like that Kafka looks cool as a monster and that he is not scared of showing this side (or too stupid to realize it how much this puts him in danger, lol) to protect others like right now Kikoru. I like that Leno never abandons his Senpai even when he was only a 0% on his monster suit. I like Kikoru actually having the ability to make the MC eat his words while being serious about her job like protecting others even at the risk of her own life.
It does nothing extraordinary or unheard of, but I think what it does it does with heart and humor and I believe that this is what many people draws them to read this series atm.^^
^This. Too many mangas try too hard to make an impression that they forget the most important thing: they need to have fun doing it. It doesn’t matter if your work is “unoriginal”, what matters is that you understand what and how you want to do it. As long as you’re comfortable in your skin writing what you know and understand, even if it’s “unoriginal”, it’ll be at least a good manga that will come out of it.

I can tell Matsumoto is very familiar with all, if not a lot, of conventional manga tropes but he knows how to make it work and have fun with it.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Still surprised that Mashle doesn't even have a thread.
It has. It's problem is that is is so straightforward to the point that you can't really discuss much about it. It would basically be 12 people repeating "this was a cool chapter" "yeah" "I liked the fight, it was awesome" "yeah" "it was really funny" "Yeah". Basically you already get everything outta the series as a reader on your own whereas in other series it is helpful to read threads about it as then more focused readers might point out "hey guys, have you noticed there were no stars in space?" and a less attentive reader would be like "Wait, what?" go and check it out go "Daaaaaaaamn~" and go right back to the thread to ask what this could mean and then people theorize about it.
Same here.
Like why did Kafka became a monster? Where did that flying Kaiju came from? Why is he still human when transforming? Will he lose his humanity at some point and become a real monster? Is he the only one or are there more like him? And so on and all that from the MC alone. It gives stuff to discuss about.

@Halloween I could be totally wrong about why you like Kaiju8 so much but I think I might know why? Given you like CSM so much and you started to like UU after its huge reveal chapter I think what you like are consistent worlds that are similar to ours but different in some way yet still make sense the way they are. Like CSM everyone knows about the Gun Devil and his terror acts and the powers work great with Devils and Devilman. In UU the whole living rules and certain humans having Negator powers to said rules works well with the world as you see that the world adapts to the rules and the Union Negators do not. Same here in Kaiju 8 where the first chapter introduces the MC as a cleaner which makes sense as such a huge monster doesn't disappear on its own (which it often does in MG series as it is either a parallel world where they fight or the monsters themselves just disappear after being defeated in form of smoke or leaving behind a crystal or something like that. You got special units with special equipment to deal with those monsters, again makes sense. AND you got a monster transforming a human, our MC, into a monster himself - now that doesn't make sense as before said transformation we had no infos this was even possible , but it happened so it must be possible thus it makes sense, it just is something this world has yet to find out about or worse some people DO know about it but keep it a secret from the rest of society because they are scared of them panicking over such parasites taking over humans.
Like I said I could be totally wrong. Obviously that ain't the only thing that you like about this series or why you like this series in particular but I think it could play a big part in your likes for it. Or I am just wrong.^^

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know, I think maybe it's more that the "Kaiju/monsters" in this series reminds me of the Hollow/Arrancar in Bleach. Even design wise, and the way the power system is set up is similar.

In Bleach, Hollow are generally giant creatures, but the more powerful they become, the smaller and more humanoid they become, just like in this series.

I'm also a fan of the art and the sci-fi elements, and the fact that the MC is my age. I can relate to him more than a child/teen prodigy that you usually see in most other series.

Monox D. I-Fly

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I'm also a fan of the art and the sci-fi elements, and the fact that the MC is my age. I can relate to him more than a child/teen prodigy that you usually see in most other series.
Ah, I see why I am interested in this series despite for me it is not as fun as Mashle/UndeadUnluck/Aggravity Boys. The main character has the exact same age as me and also a loser like me.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Seeng an older guy as the main character is definitely a refreshing take. And yeah, there is a bit more relatability to his situation. At a certain age, you truly start realizing that, yeah, life ain't going to go the way you envisioned as a kid.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
New chapter is up.

After this chapter, I definitely think I’m going to stick to reading the Viz version. There’s a lot of differences between them, but Viz makes a lot of distinction between the Kaijus, including Kafka, while the M+ version has a more literal translation.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
The changes from supercool looking monster to goofy looking monster are great. XD

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Author is on break this week. From here on there’ll be breaks every 3 chapters.

Interesting that this is rather specific, and either the author has health issues or this is something they agreed on beforehand.

Kobī-Stan

Reaction score
Country
United States
The special illustration says "I've run out of pre-written stuff", I couldn't help but laugh.

Kobī-Stan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Heat! Loved this chapter.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ojou will so fall for Old Man after this badass rescue and OnePunchKill. XD