Semifinal - Kaito Kuroba vs. Kogami Shinya | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Kaito Kuroba vs. Kogami Shinya

Who wins?

• Kaito Kuroba

• Kogami Shinya

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Kaito Kuroba
Detective Conan
-

Kogami Shinya
Psycho-Pass

Lambu

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Im not making it home anytime soon :emocat
So I'll leave a video of Kogami showing some amazing badassery, I hope it encourages people to watch the show! :blush

That scene above has way more meaning than some mindless action.
It shows how Kogami's constant efforts and training, in order to be capable of taking on criminals without the "Dominator" (that supergun), finally pay. As he said: "If you are willing to stop someone using a weapon, you must be able to do it yourself first"

It also shows he's willing to let Makishima escape (his nemesis and most hated target) just so he doesn't leave Akane alone. :blush

Kogami's training:

:wtf

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India

My vote.

That being said if Kaito wins I will definetly support him in the final.

Elusia

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm leaning towards Kaito Kid for now since Zirconium's posts about him are always informative and cool to look at :wtf

But good luck to both of them in this round and hope to give their best \o

Zirconium

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
OVERVIEW1. Who is Kaito Kuroba?
1.1 Personal Informations
1.2 The (Re)birth of Kaito Kid
1.3 The Meaning of his Name(s)
1.4 The Difference to other Thieves

2. Equipment, Abilities and Support
2.1 Gadgets
2.2 Athletic Skills
Kaito‘s strengths lie somewhere else. He isn’t perfect as a husbando and to be honest, I don’t want him to be perfect. What I especially like about him is not his charm, his gentleman-like behaviour or his look. No, the main reason why I adore him are his extraordinary abilities and creative mind with which he is able to perform many fantastic magic tricks or dangerous stunts. He is a multi-talent who can do almost everything. There are certain areas where he excels the most and to start with I‘d like to talk about his athletic skills in this post first.​

In my earlier post of the previous round I showed you some of Kaito’s gadgets that he is using during his thefts. Many of those devices demand a high physical condition. For example his accuracy with his card gun is incredible. It doesn’t happen often that he ever misses his target. He can also be a troll sometimes and usually likes to aim at the belt buckle of his opponents without any problems to open their pants.
Furthermore he is able to skillfully fly his hang glider for which he needs a good balance as well. Not even the hindrances of a city are a problem for him. Well, but if the wind isn’t in his favor, then not even someone like Kaito Kid is able to control a hang glider...
Kaito can drive many vehicles and he is even capable of flying a plane. Plus, he is good in many types of sports except for ice skating and billiard.
Kaito Kid‘s Miraculous Walk in Midair
And to save the best for last, let me first ask you a question. Can you still remember what your physics teacher taught you about gravity? Your teacher probably told you that it‘s impossible for a mere human to float in the air, right? But not for Kaito Kid! He doesn‘t know the word »impossible« and easily overcomes the laws of gravity. You don‘t believe it? Then let‘s have a look at this. This is probably my most favorite magic trick of him so far. It was simple and yet so effective. And as if that wasn‘t enough, then please look at this...

»Magic isn't real. There's always a way to explain it.«
-Kaito Kid

Kaito was also able to even walk (!) in midair like it was nothing! Of course, there was a certain trick behind it and he was surely using ropes, you would say. Well, yes and no, not quite. But you’re on the right track. He was clever enough to "hid" the ropes. However, I don’t want to ruin the fun for you and all that I can tell you is that he definitely needed a controlled posture to perform this simple and yet amazing trick. Otherwise it wouldn‘t have worked at all. So if you want to figure out of how he did that, then you can read (manga chapters: 453-456) or watch (anime episode: 356) it by yourself, if you want. :D

Lupin

Reaction score
Country
Uchiha Clan
That midair walk!!! One of my absolute favorite KID heists ;-; One of the most amazing things about Kaito's character is that even his most mind boggling character traits have concrete evidence backing them up. KID is said to make the impossible possible, and he consistently delivers. It doesn't matter if being a thief (for a good reason!!) makes him act on the wrong side of the law, he's a thief I would trust in a heartbeat.

Another heist where Kaito goes above and beyond is when he teleports into an enclosed area and has everyone stumped as to how he manages it. Magic may not be real, but Kaito Kid is the Moonlight Magician, the Last Wizard of the Century. The teleportation was done via misdirection and clever use of a pulley system, and when all was said and done, his audience was left in awe and amazement.

This might not seem like a husbando quality at first glance, but if you want a relationship of wonder, excitement, and happiness, Kaito will be sure to never let the magic die.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Fo-ka-me Kogami! :D

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Its troublesome to write a campaign while keeping it spoiler free, but I’ll do my best. :p

As I explained in my previous post about his backstory, Kogami is not a normal detective anymore, he’s kind of a “dog” used to trace criminals due to his crime coefficient being too high. Even after this, he still has faith on the System and accepts his fate as a tool. He doesn’t care about his freedom, all he wants is to keep people safe.
“That’s the duty of a detective”

Kogami’s life is his work, he’s devoted to it and is willing to die in order to ensure the safety of the citizens and his partners. After the tragic episode with his underling and friend he understands that, in that job, you will always leave people behind (the system still allows true monsters to live in society) so he prefers to keep a stoic facade and take on the hardships on his own.
“Believe in your own power, don’t always rely on others”

He develops great affection for Akane though and admires her innocence, often making fun of her for it (yeah, he's also the teasing guy :XD). He wants to be like her, to rely on people again… but as long as the system classifies people there’s no way for him to get back
“In the end, the law can’t protect people”

Still the dynamic between Akane and Kogami is heartwarming, him learning from her positive point of view and her learning from his experience and instinct. This comforting chemistry between the two that lasts through the whole case shows that Kogami always wanted to be with her, it was just impossible given the circumstances and the bitter reveal (agggh spoilers).
“Be gentle to others but strict to oneself”

Look, Shinya Kogami is not a charming prince that will serve you and live solely for you. He’s a strong individual, with straight goals and instinctive nature; but that is part of his charm. He’s an amazing man, one of those you don’t see very often and I would keep close.

Make him reach the finals, he deserves it!
:confetti

Juviii

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Kogami! How can I not vote for a character with such amazing body personality!?
Lambu-kun, gambatte! :XD

Elusia

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Well these campaigns didn't really help. They make it more difficult to choose :emocat

I can't do a cointoss on this.... that would be unfair so I'll just leave two questions here. I don't mind if either the nominee or a supporter answers.

What is their relationship with their family/friends?

And

What is their established relationship that is not their waifu (say like a close friend that they didn't want to lose or with a parent that they really love)?

Lupin

Reaction score
Country
Uchiha Clan
For Kaito, his family is his mom, his dad's old assistant, and himself.

His dad was murdered during one of his magic shows, and Kaito eventually took up his mantle of KID. He initially honored his memory by continuing to practice magic and spread cheer the same way his dad did, but as KID, he goes a step further by tracking down the killers and trying to kind the jewel his dad died trying to protect. Kaito's mom is usually physically absent from his life because she travels around a lot, but they keep in contact via an in-universe Skype equivalent, and they have a very cozy relationship. She is very much aware of what her son spends his nights doing, and she gives him support in her own way.

Next is Jii!! Jii is the assistant of Kaito's dad, and he's initially a grandfather figure to Kaito. When Kaito becomes Kid, Jii becomes his assistant as well, and they are ride or die. Jii helps Kaito with everything related to heists, and he takes part in them as well when Kaito needs some extra help. The mid-air walk? Jii was in a helicopter helping him along. The teleportation magic? Jii was using sandbags and acting as a human pulley. The man is old, but he does his best. He's not as skilled as Kaito when it comes to imitating voices and other things, but he'll make sure Kaito's heists go as planned and that Kaito makes it home safe every night he goes out. He would lay down his life for Kaito, and Kaito would do the same in a heartbeat.

Aoko is Kaito's best friend, but she's also his waifu, so I don't know if you want to know about that??

What is their established relationship that is not their waifu (say like a close friend that they didn't want to lose or with a parent that they really love)?
Since I'm more knowledgeable about the Detective Conan side of Gosho's work than the Magic Kaito side, I'm gonna go with Kudo Shinichi/Edogawa Conan. Maybe @Zirconium can tell you more about Kaito's dynamic with Hakuba or Akako, or go more in depth on Jii.

Kaito and Shinichi's relationship is predated by their fathers' relationship. When Kuroba Toichi was Kaitou 1412, Kudo Yusaku was the one who named him KID. They shared riddles and codes with each other in between heists, and they had a very healthy respect for each other. It's technically unknown whether Yusaku knew who Toichi actually was, but as their personal lives did mix with each other, it's likely that Yusaku made the connection when KID disappeared around the time his magician friend died in a tragic accident. If this hadn't happened, it's highly likely that Shinichi and Kaito would have met before a heist pushed them together.

//coughs Anyway! With KID's revival, the rivalry/odd respect was revived as well. Kaito and Shinichi first met in Magic Kaito. KID was stealing the hands off a clock tower (for Aoko, ye olde waifu), and Shinichi gave him a run for his money. The heist ended as a truce of sorts, and Shinichi was able to see that even if KID didn't actually steal the hands, he had accomplished his goal of keeping the clock tower from being torn down (again, relates to Kaito's relationship with ye olde waifu). After this, Kaito crops up in Detective Conan off and on, giving the shrunken Shinichi the light-hearted mental exercises he needs.

In the manga, there's nothing that confirms Kaito knows Shinchi = Conan, but in the anime, he definitely does. He pointedly saves Shinichi's ass from suspicion by disguising as him in a movie, and he also uses Shinichi as a disguise for his own benefit too many times to count, knowing that Shinichi is the one disguise he can wear that won't be revealed easily. As for Shinichi knowing who Kaito is, nothing has been confirmed in either the manga or anime, but Shinichi is one of the few people who knows that KID is actually a teenager (and therefore, not the original KID) who looks eerily similar to him. He also knows that the previous KID had a relationship had a relationship with his father. Due to recent manga spoilers, I'm of the belief that Shinichi knows, or is incredibly close to figuring out, who Kaito is, and it hasn't been revealed out of respect. For the first time in the manga, they worked together in a way that is usually only seen in anime or fanfiction, and to me, that speaks to how much they trust each other.

Kaito doesn't treat "Conan" like a child, and Shinichi is not above working with a criminal. They banter and keep each other on their toes, and whether or not KID gets away with the jewel of the the week, they both come out of it pretty satisfied. They're friends, which they really shouldn't be. Despite what their goals may be, they're on the opposite side of the law. Shinichi is a stickler for truth and justice, and Kaito's opinion on detectives really isn't all that great (read: Hakubastard). However, Kaito is an exception for Shinichi, and Shinichi is Kaito's favorite critic. It's very likely that KID will take part in the eventual takedown of the organization Shinichi is after, and if the #SameOrg theory doesn't pan out, I expect Shinichi to appear in Magic Kaito as an ally against Kaito's org. Kaito quite literally risked his life to help Shinichi in a spoiler-tastic event, and I fully expect Shinichi to return the favor.

Their relationship isn't common by any stretch of the imagination, but over the 20+ years of their respective storylines, it's grown into a relationship in which a thief and a detective trust each other in ways that very few people do.

GrySun

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
This match got a bit overshadowed by the other one, but I know both characters and can say that they're both pretty good and I supported both of them every round til now. Whoever you vote for is a decent choice.

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain

Well, there's not much insight on Kogami's family, we barely know the name of his mother and nothing about his father, but when he was little he was good friends with Ginoza and protected him from bullies, it was then when he realized his passion for justice.
Together they joined the MWPSB and became inspectors, then he showed genuine care for his whole division and befriended his enforcers (something inspectors never do because of their social stigma). Thats one of the reasons for why he was so impressed with Akane at the beggining of the series, she reminds him of himself when he was inspector. :amuse

He was close friends with the enforcer Sasayama, his death was the trigger for Kogami's crime coefficient to rise and lose his position as inspector. He also had kind of a parental figure in Masaoka (Ginoza's father) and showed great respect for him. :)

Last edited:

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Kogami
Eyes/Face: 13/15
Charisma / Personality: 8/10
Hair: 8/10
Muscles: 9/10
Husband Material: 3.5/5

Kaito
Eyes/Face: 8/15
Charisma / Personality: 8/10
Hair: 7/10
Muscles: 6/10
Husband Material: 2/5

Vote Kogami the logical choice!

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I just realised we have a police vs thief :D

Elusia

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Okay, after the answers they gave me, I decided to vote for Kaito Kid for @Lupin's awesome and well-informed post :^_^
Not to mention that I agree with her on number 2 cause even though I haven't seen much of Detective Conan, I can see a genuine relationship between them.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Okay, after the answers they gave me, I decided to vote for Kaito Kid for @Lupin's awesome and well-informed post :^_^
Not to mention that I agree with her on number 2 cause even though I haven't seen much of Detective Conan, I can see a genuine relationship between them.
Another reason is spite vote :teehee

Status
Not open for further replies.