Shounen - Katekyo Hitman Reborn! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Mooncrow

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Time for me to do another shonen review =)

Title: Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Genres: Shonen, Action, Fantasy
Author/Artist: Amano Akira
Publication: Weekly Shonen Jump
Start Date: 2004
End Date: On-going
Number of chapters at review: 176
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 176

General Overview: Sawada Tsunayoshi "Tsuna" is a typical shonen loser, known as "No-good Tsuna" until a hitman from Italy shows up to tell him that he has been chosen as the next heir of the prestigious Vongola mafia family. This hitman, Reborn, stays on to serve as Tsuna's home tutor and raise him to be an excellent mafia boss. Read along as Tsuna builds his family, defeats his enemies, and tries to stay alive through his training, all against his own will!

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)
Art: 9
Overall excellent, my only major gripe is that Amano's character designs aren't distinct enough.

Plot: 8
The early parts tend to drag quite a bit, and the transitions between storylines is quite rough. However, the storylines themselves, especially as the series progresses are extremely interesting. The plot twists are fairly infrequent, but pack a punch when they do show up.

Characters: 8
Amano can really write some complex and interesting characters. Character development is slow, at times frustratingly so, but when it does finally happen, feels natural and satisfying. The relationships between the characters are also extremely well done, and one of the best things about this manga.

Themes: 6
Reborn! is fairly light in thematic material. While the story does have a few (mostly of the "protecting others over yourself" variety), they definitely take a back seat to the plot and characters.

Originality: 9
The story itself is pretty original, aside from the very typical lead character. A lot of the plot devices and back story elements that Amano uses are extremely unique, literally having no predecessor.

Overall: 8
Reborn! is definitely worth a close look. It has a different feel than most of the typical shonen series out there, but once you get past that, you find an excellent story with interesting characters.

Feel like discussing Reborn! further? Go here:
Reborn Discussion Forums

Obxist

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
hmm Reborn... well then lets see

okay heres some simple review from me :

Art : 8.5
Yeah.. the art design is good, full of details ..

Plot : 9
Okay... i must admit that at first though when i read this manga (vol 1-7 i think) its kinda boring and yeah its typical shonen... but somehow after that starting at varia arc the story is great and flawless... as good as one piece..and they sure bring a 'mafia' story into somethings funny and cool :D

Themes : 6
yeah typical shonen... nothing new...

Originality : 9
Okay i found that its something new...even though mafia is not something new but how he could transform a mafia into this kind of story is no ordinary :D

Overall : 9.5
A must read manga ... good very good..

Last edited:

Helltroll

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This is one of the manga's a want to read to (besides bastard!,Blade of the Immortal, Full metal Alchemist and Berserk!^^) and after reading this review i think i will choose this next. Good review!

Dark-Kaomi

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am very glad I stuck with this series. I had to force myself through the first 60 chapters but after that I couldn't put it down. I can't say what about it makes me love it so much other than it's different.

Wolf_Ice

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty much agree with everything that has been said up til now.

I was really close to kicking this manga after 60 chapters of nothing happening. Then we got an arc. I began realizing what the mangaka could do.

Overall, I say try it out, give it a chance.