First Round - Kimetsu no Yaiba vs. Fairy Tail | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

First Round Kimetsu no Yaiba vs. Fairy Tail

Who wins?

• Kimetsu no Yaiba

• Fairy Tail

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

revo

The Witch of Certainty
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

Kimetsu no Yaiba
Koyoharu Gotouge
Fairy Tail
Hiro Mashima

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowlord123

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Kimetsu and quite easily for me tbh. I would argue that Kimetsu is pretty much superior in every aspect besides fanservice, but that's just my opinion ofc.

Ramen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Fairy Tail takes it for me. The different powers, the insane villians.....different aspects of life in the FT world were executed very well. A lot of the fights were gold...like Mard Geer vs Dragon slayers and Gray, Hades vs Team Natsu and the list goes on.

Demon Slayer outclasses FT in terms of power-scaling and keeping it at normal levels. However, in other aspects, I'd say Fairy Tail wins this.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I think Kimetsu no Yaiba has the upper hand in how "mature" the story is, in several aspects, but I still got more invested reading Fairy Tail. There are many things I don't like about FT, but it was overall an enjoyable read full of memorable characters that lasted more than enough years to grow in my heart.

animeangryfan4

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Well for me, its true that KNY had powerful emotions moments when they had it. Fairy tail had that to but Kimetsu way of doing it was impressive
still
I say Fairy Tail. cause I prefer that art better, the power system better, easier characters to understand, more explanation of what the system works (there were no explanation of Hell and so to me in Kimetsu), not a Complete Despisible villian and also that were arcs rather then an adventure. Adventure is good, but it will jsut take a long time for that goal to reach.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I dropped Fairy Tail and KnY is one of my favorite shonen ever so...Fairy Tail. Wait, no, Kimetsu no Yaiba.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
My 'campaign' will be a series of random posts where I talk about the series, or my experiences, or for vote farming.

Power Level Discussions / Shipping:

Most of my time in FT has been dedicated to those two topics.

Power level discussions can be heated, repetitive and irrational. But I have always found power levels to be a good place to discuss the series, re-read fights over and over again just to reply to people, and get immersed in a major element of a battle shounen. Some of the funniest things I've seen are power level posts too. In terms of manga content - FT was rather consistent before the final timeskip. You could successfully group characters in tiers based on feats, and based on hype, and those two classifications would be similar.

Shipping deserves it's own post!

Characters:

The criticism I would lodge at FT's character development is that Hiro confines the changes to certain periods for any given character. After that point, he moves on from them, which can come across as disappointing, or leave you yearning for more. And generally, the villains are so-so.

That being said, Hiro did a great job making these characters. The mix and variety, the likability and appeal, and their heart. As a group they are a fun and loving cast. I honestly cannot comprehend disliking these guys. Short lived their characters arcs may be, you feel their pain and sorrow, and how they want to change, or find somewhere to belong to, or figure out what they want to do. They can be fairly inspirational and it's no wonder there are so many hardcore fans.

World Building:

The world is expansive enough, and in terms of imagination it's passable.

What Hiro got right was establishing the home court advantage. The Fairy Tail Guildhall is a bar, where members can relax and get merry after a hard day, have something to eat, or pick up some work. Sometimes they have too much fun and fight one another. You know this by ep 2 / chap 2 iirc, and it never gets old. You want more of it, after a long and tense story arc, you want to watch the guys get back to a familiar setting and let loose. One Piece does this too, but I would argue FT does it better. The only complaint is that I wanted more chillin' at the guild.

-to be continued

Last edited:

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Not as one sided as I'd thought, though since I dropped Fairy Tail (after 400 or so chapters - I stuck around!) it has to be Demon Slayer for me.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Theres no way i wont return last time favor, so if you allow me, Bran :)

Lesson 1- about Fairy Tail's world building

Medieval setting

Fairy tail's world is surely not close to HxH's, but is vast and really interesting. it has its own History/mythology (legends, races (dragons, exceeds etc.), wars etc). Fairy tail's world is divided into 2 parts : Earthland a place that looks like Earth and where people can use magic, and its parallel universe, Edolas, a kind of mirrored world but without magic. each character on Earthland has an alter ego in Edolas.​
The concept of Fairy Tail's world is close of the worlds in RPG games. Mashima’s inspiration might have come from video games, he's seemingly playing a lot, according to some interviews i came across and yes hes a fan of Dragon quest, too ( true) !! But thats pretty normal, a lot fo manga writers are playing various games and watching/reading a lot of other cultural medium, for inspiration's sake. thats why sometimes i cant help but feel that when im looking for instance, at Fairy Tail's cities it reminds me of games like ff9, and thats what probably interested me in Ft when i started : a world, in a kind of medieval/steampunk setting that looks like rpg with the concept of guild and quests. and magic. Hiro Mashima is also a huge Fan of Game of Thrones, the dragons/fantasy side might have been some inspiration from there too. In a interview, he said to, he spend a lot of time playing Overwatch too.​

exemple of the kind of a ff9 city, ft magnolia reminds me of.

Mashima said a couple of times how much he like GoT, thats from his twitter (May 7th 2018)
The world he created is kind of retrofuturistic or steam punk, its very similar world as ours, and seems to take place in a kind of medieval European society, at least architecture, and cities aesthetics gives those vibes. But it has its own fictional technology close to the modern one, based on the concept of lacrima that allows feats that are definitely modern or futuristic. For exemple they have kind of smartpones (lacrima phones)​
Another interestic point, is that FT world has also a little poetic dimension in it, for exemple in its names, Fiore (flower) is the name of the country where ft story takes place and where the main characters are living, and cities are named after flowers names (magnolia, crocus, clover etc.). Some characters are also linked with poetry/litterature expl Lira, or, the fact that the narrator (Lucy) is a writer, and theres a lot of books related chapters or arcs related or libraries locations too.​

Fairy tail technology and lacrima concept here a lacrima smartphone

exple of lacrima use : lacrima bomb

Medieval like city/streets, looks beautiful and enchanting somehow

Kardia cathedral (Mashima said in an itw that one of his source of inspiration was Notre-Dame (Paris)

*Lacrima : Lacrima is a Magic crystalline substance found in both Earth Land and Edolas. Lacrima can be powered up with different spells and used for different purposes. Lacrima is Latin for tear drop.(wiki)
Fashion, appearances & society.
even fashion in Fairy Tail's seems to be a mix between modern and medieval/fantasy world and seems to cover various styles, times, and ethnic diversity. thats interesting, because most manga, due to taking place in school or work setting, show a kind of uniformity in styles, due to either society or dresscodes. Fairy tail's characters style varies a o lot from classical, to modern, to more traditional or very revealing clothes, each character is unique. the way characters are dressed reveal their personality or individuality, when it comes to the guild, It also proves that members are openminded and accepts to anyone regardeless of their differences, origins or apparences. 1st criteria of rejection is usually appearence, and i dont remember any exple of rejection or bully in the guild (at least based on differences), unless my memories fail me (there was laxus rejecting lucy, but it was for "professional " reasons, not for differences).​

exemples of diversity, picked separately it would be hard to guess they re from the same manga and the same place in the manga, if we dont know.

POW

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kimetsu was really refreshing to me a non convoluted pure kind of classic story.

desin24

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Austria
This goes to Kimetsu no Yaiba for me. Fairy Tail had a fun start and Mashima certainly knows how to appeal to my lizard brain but overall I feel more resonance with Kimetsu no Yaiba. Props to Mashima for being a beast though. Bringing double chapters here and there with no drops in art.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Was this truly random selection putting these two together as feel agenda to try to push something here. Nevertheless, surprise by the divided talk among the posts, I guess shows fanbase in FT is still large and strong despite it flaws, but that isn't to say it doesn't have more good moments than it has. I respect accolades for KNY/DS as well as it's quite well-written series itself and record-breaking in some forms despite it's own flaws especially how things went down near the end as I heard issues happen people didn't like, but the same can be on both sides. Hard to decide really as I enjoy both of these and their are good in their own ways and areas, so would be happy on whoever wins in the end.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I've heard mostly good things about Kimetsu no Yaiba and while it seems cool my vote goes to FT. I hate to love it and I love to hate it, but in the end I always return to it no matter how frustrated I get. We're practically soul mates. It's an exciting manga and the characters are diverse and entertaining. Plus the above campaigns. I appreciate the effort.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've heard mostly good things about Kimetsu no Yaiba and while it seems cool my vote goes to FT. I hate to love it and I love to hate it, but in the end I always return to it no matter how frustrated I get. We're practically soul mates. It's an exciting manga and the characters are diverse and entertaining. Plus the above campaigns. I appreciate the effort.
The sequel as of late for FT has been fixing issues we all dislike, so it's been getting better on addressing situation about it, but I do agree what you mean as FT have that type of vibe you like to return more. Not that KNY/DS isn't the same too, but just you feel something from FT side is all.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I think Kimetsu no Yaiba has the upper hand in how "mature" the story is, in several aspects, but I still got more invested reading Fairy Tail. There are many things I don't like about FT, but it was overall an enjoyable read full of memorable characters that lasted more than enough years to grow in my heart.
Couldn't agree with this more. I enjoyed both the series, so this is a difficult choice.
Kimetsu was entertaining, I liked it a lot, but I too got more invested in Fairy Tail. Perhaps that's because I followed the series for much longer, but I also really liked the overall tone of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.