First Round - Kimetsu no Yaiba vs. Nanatsu no Taizai | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

First Round Kimetsu no Yaiba vs. Nanatsu no Taizai

Who wins?

• Kimetsu no Yaiba

• Nanatsu no Taizai

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda

Kimetsu no Yaiba
Koyoharu Gotoge

-

Nanatsu no Taizai
Nakaba Suzuki

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Special Rules
- We proudly encourage you to share the best pics of your Manga!
- Earn the possibility to win a badge by being the proudest Mangalover around!

Juviii

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Why I can only vote for NNT

NNT is a shounen and it follows the shounen rules however it has a lot of original points such as:

• Main Character: The captain of the Seven Deadly Sins, Meliodas, isn't the typical MC. He isn't hot-headed and emotional, his bday is not in July like every shounen MC and he doesn't want to be the best anything: he just wants to live a peaceful life with his girl and the other sins. He is funny, a big troll, calm, smart and he looks like a kid.
  • No harem: The MC is not given a harem or even a love triangle, there is only 1 romantic pair from the beginning. Same goes for almost all characters and even when there is more than 1 suitor for one of the guys, there's still nothing to decide, cause they know who and what they want from the beginning
  • Cool fights: well, it's a shonen after all. But there are some crazy fights that I love.
  • Cool female characters: From badass Merlin to flawed Elaine, physically strong Diane or even our controversial Elizabeth, all the female characters are interesting in their own way.
  • Complex characters: Everyone has their own stories and reasons to be the way they are and they aren't too stereotypical.

Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Going with KNY,NNT is one of my favourite too,but KNY is above it.

@eefrit where is your campaign?

Last edited:

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Great post @Juviii
Nanatsu no Taizai:

• It's in a world full of many characters of different races: demons, goddess, fairies, giants, humans, vampires. All of the main characters belong to different races too.
  • The characters are all complex with differents
    (tragic)
    backstories and the story of how they overcome their "sins".
  • Romance here is actually important for the plot. The author knows what is doing with the couples and doesn't play with what the fandom wants.
  • Full of interracial relationships (friendships, romances, familiars, etc).
  • Foreshadows and plot twists everywhere.
  • No fillers. The story has a straight line where to go and has the necessary chapters to tell the story.
  • The main character is quite new. He doesn't have the typical dreams and motivations as other MC of shonens.
  • Plot is about a war between races and how the main characters of different species deal and participate in it.

Vote NnT!​

Last edited:

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Gonna wait to vote on this one, but I'm rly not into NnT xD Will very likely vote for the other one if it looks interesting.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
@eefrit where is your campaign?
Damn dude, give me a chance to at least enjoy some time outside before I devote time to this, lol. It should be up later tonight.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
As some of you may know, it's rare for me to actually gush about something with an excessive amount of positivity. Hell, I'd go as far to say it's difficult. But for Kimetsu no Yaiba, my favorite running shounen currently, I'll make an exception. By the end of this tournament; nay, this post, I want all of you who have slept on this series to be ashamed of yourselves for not reading this series. In this post, I'll do a general overview of the series, and should it happen to win, I'll go further in detail about certain aspects in my next posts. Those post may be a bit spoiler heavy, but this one will be spoiler free.

And now, without further ado, let us begin...

Overview: Kimetsu no Yaiba

[td]
Kimetsu no Yaiba

Overview:
Kimetsu no Yaiba is the tragic tale of two siblings, Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado, who, on one fateful, snowy night, lost everything dear to them and had their entire world turned upside down. Through their adventures, they meet a number of unique characters and fight a number of near fatal battles all in attempt to accomplish their goals; curing Nezuko of her demonic affliction and attaining revenge on the one who was responsible for the deaths of their family.

Art:
The art of Kimestu no Yaiba is unique to say the least. The series changes styles often, with comedic scenes being hilariously drawn off model to emphasize the comedy...Here are examples of the well known "Potato Faces" that the characters have during down time.

Credits: Unnaturalsolace

To the action scenes being drafted cleanly and dynamically to emphasize action...

Characters:
The characters in this story are amazing. I rarely like protagonists of Shounen, with a select few being passable individuals in my opinion, but Tanjiro is one of the rare exceptions.

The reason I like him? He's a genuinely good guy. Don't let that praise of Mel above fool you, he's a major jerk. A lot of what he does is terrible, but, like a lot of other series with protagonist I don't like, the series will bend over backwards to justify his world view, no matter how wrong they actually are. Tanjiro on the other hand? He's a kind hearted boy who is doing his best to deal with the hand life dealt him and protect his sister and friends. He's literally the opposite of Mel. He doesn't lie, he doesn't molest girls, he doesn't withhold information and trust people, he treats a lot of characters with respect, even when they don't deserve it, he doesn't molest girls, he can channel his frustrations in a healthy way, and he's a good brother. Also, he doesn't molest girls. He's the best example of the pure hearted protagonist, without the series changing the world and people's opinions to suit his world view *cough*Naruto*cough*. He works for it.

Nezuko

Wild card #1. I'll be honest, due to her ailment, her character says nothing for a large majority of the series. But that doesn't mean she doesn't do anything or see any action. Quite the contrary, she's one of the more capable and dangerous individuals in the series. Her character develops in a number of interesting ways, which is impressive given the way she's "limited" to no dialogue.

Zenitsu

Wild card #2. Here's an easy way to describe Zenitsu. Do you read One Piece? You know Cavendish? Imagine if he was a perverted coward. That's Zenitsu. From his first appearance, you wouldn't think he'd be reliable. Hell, he doesn't even realize the strength he holds. But, despite his surface emotions and appearance, he's also a kind person who will put the well being of others before himself.

Inosuke

Wild card #3-#10. Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault. Pig Assault Pig Assault. Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault. Pig? Assault. Pig Assault Pig Assault (Pig Assault), Pig Assault!

Inosuke is great.

Narrative:
The shining aspect of this series; the narrative. The main reason I enjoy this series is it treats it's audience with respect. The narrative is strong, tight, and, most impressively for me, logical. It has yet to twist things to make stuff work out. If it establishes something, it sticks to it. In this series, Demons are an incredible threat, and the highest ranked Demons, The 6 Upper Moons, are said to have lived for centuries and are said to have killed many of the strongest Demon Slayers, The Pillars. That is not a lie.

These are what the Vasto Lorde in Bleach were implied to have been capable of, but weren't. Every fight in this series is won by the skin of their teeth, sometimes with only external and unique circumstances allowing for victory. One arc in particular I consider up their with the likes of Chunnin Exam arc of Naruto, the Soul Society arc of Bleach, and the Chimera Ant arc of HunterXHunter. It's that damn good, in my opinion. Another great aspect of the series is the strong theme of family. It's permeated well throughout the series and it's done nicely. Even villains have a great love for their siblings and family, despite having lost their way for hundreds of years. It treats family as a positive, rather than having an edgy brother who abuses you, but does it out of "love". Or a brother who killed your significant other. Or a father who abandons you by choice. Etc., etc.

This is a lovely series, one that I will hold near and dear to my manga reading heart, along with Toriko. I implore you all, please join us in the Kimetsu no Yaiba thread. It's a wonderful series that deserves more attention than it's currently getting. I'm sure interest will grow once the anime comes out, but I can't wait that long. I need to discuss this series more than I currently do.
[/td]
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Why I can only vote for NNT

NNT is a shounen and it follows the shounen rules however it has a lot of original points such as:

• Main Character: The captain of the Seven Deadly Sins, Meliodas, isn't the typical MC. He isn't hot-headed and emotional, his bday is not in July like every shounen MC and he doesn't want to be the best anything: he just wants to live a peaceful life with his girl and the other sins. He is funny, a big troll, calm, smart and he looks like a kid.
  • No harem: The MC is not given a harem or even a love triangle, there is only 1 romantic pair from the beginning. Same goes for almost all characters and even when there is more than 1 suitor for one of the guys, there's still nothing to decide, cause they know who and what they want from the beginning
  • Cool fights: well, it's a shonen after all. But there are some crazy fights that I love.
  • Cool female characters: From badass Merlin to flawed Elaine, physically strong Diane or even our controversial Elizabeth, all the female characters are interesting in their own way.
  • Complex characters: Everyone has their own stories and reasons to be the way they are and they aren't too stereotypical.

Now onto the decimation. Nothing personal Juvii.
  • Meliodas is a terrible, terrible person. He molest a girl who barely knows him at their first meeting and keeps doing it. It's treated as a joke, but it honestly wears out it's welcome quickly and her submissive attitude towards it is annoying. There has yet to be a reason for his treatment of her in this way. He lies to his friends during moments where it would be beneficial to everyone to have the truth, or, at the very least, some information of the current situation. He's a hypocrite of the highest order, criticizing people for certain things and telling them what they can or can't do, when he's done the exact same thing. Finally, the series bends over backward to prove him correct, even going as far as to portray certain perspectives as wrong, when they are actually right, just because some characters had the audacity to question the mighty Mel.
  • He doesn't have a harem, but he has a ton of girls who want to drop their panties for him, including both female characters of the Sins at one point or another.
  • Fights can be good, but are majorly one sided a vast majority of the time. There is nothing wrong with that per se, but it creates a major problem after a certain point in the series. Those who've read it should know what I'm talking about.
  • "Cool". The majority of the female characters are defined by the romances they are in. Elizabeth is the only one with real character development. Diane hasn't had a decent fight in centuries and hasn't had any character arc. Merlin is still undercooked. Elaine flaws aren't supposed to be a major character trait, she's just poorly written.
  • I'll give the series this, characters are complex in one form or another. It's one of the reasons I wish certain things were handled with more finesse, because there are really good motivations for a lot of the characters, but it doesn't treat them with the same respect. Some characters are punished for certain things, while others are rewarded and praised for it.

Last edited:

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Damn dude, give me a chance to at least enjoy some time outside before I devote time to this, lol. It should be up later tonight.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
As some of you may know, it's rare for me to actually gush about something with an excessive amount of positivity. Hell, I'd go as far to say it's difficult. But for Kimetsu no Yaiba, my favorite running shounen currently, I'll make an exception. By the end of this tournament; nay, this post, I want all of you who have slept on this series to be ashamed of yourselves for not reading this series. In this post, I'll do a general overview of the series, and should it happen to win, I'll go further in detail about certain aspects in my next posts. Those post may be a bit spoiler heavy, but this one will be spoiler free.

And now, without further ado, let us begin...

Overview: Kimetsu no Yaiba

[td]
Kimetsu no Yaiba

Overview:
Kimetsu no Yaiba is the tragic tale of two siblings, Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado, who, on one fateful, snowy night, lost everything dear to them and had their entire world turned upside down. Through their adventures, they meet a number of unique characters and fight a number of near fatal battles all in attempt to accomplish their goals; curing Nezuko of her demonic affliction and attaining revenge on the one who was responsible for the deaths of their family.

Art:
The art of Kimestu no Yaiba is unique to say the least. The series changes styles often, with comedic scenes being hilariously drawn off model to emphasize the comedy...Here are examples of the well known "Potato Faces" that the characters have during down time.

Credits: Unnaturalsolace

To the action scenes being drafted cleanly and dynamically to emphasize action...

Characters:
The characters in this story are amazing. I rarely like protagonists of Shounen, with a select few being passable individuals in my opinion, but Tanjiro is one of the rare exceptions.

The reason I like him? He's a genuinely good guy. Don't let that praise of Mel above fool you, he's a major jerk. A lot of what he does is terrible, but, like a lot of other series with protagonist I don't like, the series will bend over backwards to justify his world view, no matter how wrong they actually are. Tanjiro on the other hand? He's a kind hearted boy who is doing his best to deal with the hand life dealt him and protect his sister and friends. He's literally the opposite of Mel. He doesn't lie, he doesn't molest girls, he doesn't withhold information and trust people, he treats a lot of characters with respect, even when they don't deserve it, he doesn't molest girls, he can channel his frustrations in a healthy way, and he's a good brother. Also, he doesn't molest girls. He's the best example of the pure hearted protagonist, without the series changing the world and people's opinions to suit his world view *cough*Naruto*cough*. He works for it.

Nezuko

Wild card #1. I'll be honest, due to her ailment, her character says nothing for a large majority of the series. But that doesn't mean she doesn't do anything or see any action. Quite the contrary, she's one of the more capable and dangerous individuals in the series. Her character develops in a number of interesting ways, which is impressive given the way she's "limited" to no dialogue.

Zenitsu

Wild card #2. Here's an easy way to describe Zenitsu. Do you read One Piece? You know Cavendish? Imagine if he was a perverted coward. That's Zenitsu. From his first appearance, you wouldn't think he'd be reliable. Hell, he doesn't even realize the strength he holds. But, despite his surface emotions and appearance, he's also a kind person who will put the well being of others before himself.

Inosuke

Wild card #3-#10. Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault. Pig Assault Pig Assault. Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault Pig Assault. Pig? Assault. Pig Assault Pig Assault (Pig Assault), Pig Assault!

Inosuke is great.

Narrative:
The shining aspect of this series; the narrative. The main reason I enjoy this series is it treats it's audience with respect. The narrative is strong, tight, and, most impressively for me, logical. It has yet to twist things to make stuff work out. If it establishes something, it sticks to it. In this series, Demons are an incredible threat, and the highest ranked Demons, The 6 Upper Moons, are said to have lived for centuries and are said to have killed many of the strongest Demon Slayers, The Pillars. That is not a lie.

These are what the Vasto Lorde in Bleach were implied to have been capable of, but weren't. Every fight in this series is won by the skin of their teeth, sometimes with only external and unique circumstances allowing for victory. One arc in particular I consider up their with the likes of Chunnin Exam arc of Naruto, the Soul Society arc of Bleach, and the Chimera Ant arc of HunterXHunter. It's that damn good, in my opinion. Another great aspect of the series is the strong theme of family. It's permeated well throughout the series and it's done nicely. Even villains have a great love for their siblings and family, despite having lost their way for hundreds of years. It treats family as a positive, rather than having an edgy brother who abuses you, but does it out of "love". Or a brother who killed your significant other. Or a father who abandons you by choice. Etc., etc.

This is a lovely series, one that I will hold near and dear to my manga reading heart, along with Toriko. I implore you all, please join us in the Kimetsu no Yaiba thread. It's a wonderful series that deserves more attention than it's currently getting. I'm sure interest will grow once the anime comes out, but I can't wait that long. I need to discuss this series more than I currently do.
[/td]
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Now onto the decimation. Nothing personal Juvii.
  • Meliodas is a terrible, terrible person. He molest a girl who barely knows him at their first meeting and keeps doing it. It's treated as a joke, but it honestly wears out it's welcome quickly and her submissive attitude towards it is annoying. There has yet to be a reason for his treatment of her in this way. He lies to his friends during moments where it would be beneficial to everyone to have the truth, or, at the very least, some information of the current situation. He's a hypocrite of the highest order, criticizing people for certain things and telling them what they can or can't do, when he's done the exact same thing. Finally, the series bends over backward to prove him correct, even going as far as to portray certain perspectives as wrong, when they are actually right, just because some characters had the audacity to question the mighty Mel.
  • He doesn't have a harem, but he has a ton of girls who want to drop their panties for him, including both female characters of the Sins at one point or another.
  • Fights can be good, but are majorly one sided a vast majority of the time. There is nothing wrong with that per se, but it creates a major problem after a certain point in the series. Those who've read it should know what I'm talking about.
  • "Cool". The majority of the female characters are defined by the romances they are in. Elizabeth is the only one with real character development. Diane hasn't had a decent fight in centuries and hasn't had any character arc. Merlin is still undercooked. Elaine flaws aren't supposed to be a major character trait, she's just poorly written.
  • I'll give the series this, characters are complex in one form or another. It's one of the reasons I wish certain things were handled with more finesse, because there are really good motivations for a lot of the characters, but it doesn't treat them with the same respect. Some characters are punished for certain things, while others are rewarded and praised for it.
Then we have asspull powerup like King getting 200k+ or unforeshadowed Mel having innate magic.

Or Commandments being treated shabbily.Henderickson being a villain was great.Also all non Demon clan's are underutilised.

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I will step in and say that you should definitely give Kimetsu a try, no matter what you think of Nanatsu. Be prepared for a really slow start, the series needs some time to get going, but after a certain point the series rolls along very nicely. Also Tanjirou is prolly the most likeable shounen protagonist in god knows when, you can't help but cheer for that little guy.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I don't have the same issues as some members about NNT but Kimetsu is the most underrated battle shonen in WSJ right now. It's so good... Why is it overshadowed by BNHA and BC that much? It had a slow start and the art might not appeal to most, but it starts getting really good at the fourth volume. The manga has been great ever since. Epic fights, great cast and cool/weird abilities, comedy, the plot is not too simple or too complex.

And Tanjirou, the MC is so lovable :wtf.He truly has the charm of a magnetic hero, his determination, relationship with his sister, the others etc. He is not like these bland and ineffective MCs people try to write as charismatic in the story but who don't impress the readers. It gets more noticeable as the story goes on. Even when the cast is good, it's sometimes hard to not be annoyed by a series when you don't like the MC(Look at eefrit who hates Mel :XD), but it's not the case with this.

It deserves more recognition. Even if it was against HxH(my favorite manga ever), I would have voted for it. HxH fans and Fate fans should know that Togashi and Nasu recommended it by the way. Vote for it :hmph.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Look at eefrit who hates Mel :XD
I don't hate him hate him like I used to, but he's still my least favorite Sin. His current situation is the most interesting he's been for me.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Both campaigns are great but I think i'll go with Kimetsu no Yaiba. I haven't read it as yet but I do read NNT and will admit I don't like the direction it's taken recently, so that factors in here as well.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
KnY is something I've heard about a lot, yet never gotten around to reading. That's changing after today. That campaign was really heartfelt and in events such as this I value the campaign over the series itself even.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Kimetsu.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
That last Merlin picture from Spriggan did settled it for me.:hurr

1+ NNT

Elusia

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Voting for Kimetsu. Nanatsu's alright, but while I haven't caught up with KnY, it definitely hooked me a lot more.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
That last Merlin picture from Spriggan did settled it for me.:hurr

1+ NNT
Weak.

Meet the Love Pillar, Kanroji Mitsuri. 10% the panel time of Merlin, but 90% more characterization. Also she's not going to get you jailed.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Weak.

Meet the Love Pillar, Kanroji Mitsuri. 10% the panel time of Merlin, but 90% more characterization. Also she's not going to get you jailed.

You should have shared Shinobou.

Status
Not open for further replies.