Discussion - Kite x Nen x Personality | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Kite x Nen x Personality

Diivil

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Just something trivial that I found interesting
Kite's Nen ability x his personality

One should only ever be forced to kill if they are weak, or if their life is on the line (special Crazy Slots weapon)

Instead of continuing to "disguise" that part of his personality, Kite now seems to have fully embraced his acceptance of the fact that as much as one loves animals & life in general, sometimes killing is the best course of action to take:

Kite's old personality
Notice the small difference between Kite & Gon here?

Kite is willing to kill => because he thinks he needs to.
Gon is willing to risk => his life to save the foxbear.

Real hunters are well liked by animals

The Mad Clown: "If you can can, when you kill, do it quickly and quietly hee hee hee"

The Mad Clown, Kite can't pick his own weapon, and is forced to use whatever weapon he does get
Kite: "It's so annoying"
Gon & Killua: "Then why'd you make it this way?"

Kite: "The scythe, what a bummer"
Mad Clown: "You better be grateful for whatever you get, punk!!"

Kite: "My power is so annoying"
Killua: "Why make it that way then"
They say that Nen abilities reflect your personality:

Nen and personalities

Knuckle

Shoot

Welfin

Kite

Something, somewhere, changed ever so slightly

Palm
Reborn as a Chimera Ant by Pouf and Youpi, palm has learned to take advantage of her enhancer Nen type, instead of bottling up her rage, she decided to simply yield to it, and let it all out.

Meruem

Kite
From the experience of his death and his subsequent rebirth, Kite now seems to truly "understand" what it means to be both strong and weak, and with that slight realization, he stopped trying to "disguise" his actions/intentions, like the strong.
Chap 337, page 16

Chap.337, page 18.

"Hold on."
"Don't run away."
"Come with me."
"Stay by the side of the girl you shot."

"This is an order."
"I'm not giving you a choice."
"You'll do as I say and live for me."
"If you lose even a little of this resolve, I'll kill you."
"You can live in peace knowing that"

"Kite..? I'm sorry!'
"Come."
"Sit."
"Sorry for what?"

My final thoughts

Now reincarnated as a Chimera Ant, Kite seems to have embraced his true personality, instead of trying to suppress/hide it.
Just like Palm has learned to embrace her enhancer Nen type and stopped trying to suppress her desires.
The strong kill only when they want, or need to:
They should never be forced to kill the weak, they are strong because they can defeat you without killing, if they kill it's because they want or need to.

Knuckle is self-aware about this, that sometimes killing is the best course of action to take, but he still chose Hakoware as his ability, because he wants to exchange blows with the target before deciding if they need to be killed or not.

Shoot chose to make his ability activate only when damage is inflicted, so he can only use it against those he doesn't mind hurting.

Kite designed The Mad Clown: Crazy Slots, in order to help him pretend to "be forced" to kill:

8 weapons, but he can't choose which one he wants, and when a weapon is chosen for him, Kite is forced to use it at least once.

So in essence, as soon as he activates the roulette,
Kite becomes forced to kill with a random weapon,
"he has no other choice."

But the reality is:
Kite is the one who is choosing to kill. His love for animals, and for life in general, is probably what prevented him from truly coming to terms with the fact that killing is also a part of life, and that the only ones who should ever be forced to kill are the "weak" or those with their life on the line:

Crazy Slots special number, the only weapon that Kite can summon with a specific condition, when he values his life above all, meaning that he wants to survive at all cost, even if
he's forced to kill.

Last edited:

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I enjoyed a lot reading this. Mostly because we know Nen changes after times and experiences.

I'm deeply curious about Gon Nen after this, He learnt a lot about his own weaknesses and how he NEEDS others. I'm just not buying his Nen is gone, I'm thinking more in the line that He thinks He doesn't need it anymore to feel strong because He realized how weak he felt anyway. I'm thinking of a completely new way for Gon to do Nen after all of this (Don't ask me when :XD)

Diivil

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
I enjoyed a lot reading this. Mostly because we know Nen changes after times and experiences.

I'm deeply curious about Gon Nen after this, He learnt a lot about his own weaknesses and how he NEEDS others. I'm just not buying his Nen is gone, I'm thinking more in the line that He thinks He doesn't need it anymore to feel strong because He realized how weak he felt anyway.
I actually think it will be a theme that Togashi will explore in further detail, how small changes can have a big impact on abilities or ways of thinking.

I'm just not buying his Nen is gone, I'm thinking more in the line that He thinks He doesn't need it anymore to feel strong because He realized how weak he felt anyway.
I also think that contracts and their interpretation is something that will also be explored in detail. We have started to see small hints of this:
  • Gon's interpretation of the cost his contract.
  • Beyond's contract drafted by the HA/V5.
  • Kurapika saying the hunters could abort boarding the boat if he manages to meet the prince, and then Bisky asking him to clarify.
  • The gatekeeper of the New World & the required contract.
    • Maybe because of the mis-interpretation of their contract upon returning from the DC, the gatekeeper has grown to hate rude people?