Josei - Kuragehime by HIGASHIMURA Akiko | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Josei Kuragehime by HIGASHIMURA Akiko

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Kuragehime
By: HIGASHIMURA Akiko
Genre: Comedy
Serialized In: Kiss
Mangaupdates (synopsis contains spoilers)
MH Database

Jellyfish! Otaku! Jellyfish otaku! Meganekko!! Welcome to the world of Kuragehime, winner of the 2010 Kodansha Award for best shojo/josei manga. The first translated chapter came out today, definitely worth reading.

The first episode of the anime is subbed. Give it, and the manga a try! Chapter 2 was scanlated a few days ago; anyone looking for a funny, low key manga should give it a try!

Last edited by a moderator:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Re: [Josei][New] Kuragehime by HIGASHIMURA Akiko

mangatraders said:
Kurashita Tsukimi is a "kurage (jelly fish) otaku" girl who wants to be an illustrator. She comes to Tokyo and starts to live in a girl-only apartment Amamizukan. One day she meets a fashionable lady, who saves a jelly fish. But she turns out to be a man in drag.
I'm not usually into gender-bender but it does sound interesting... 5 official volumes so far, and 2 chapters scanlated. I'm going to read this and see if I like it ^^

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I think you'll like it! I mentioned this in the anime thread but it seems kind of like a josei Genshiken (not only that the main characters are Otaku :tem). It's hard to judge off two chapters but the major theme seems to be that being fabulous is what you make of it. Kuranosuke is a fabulous strong women, despite being a man, Tsukimi could also be fabulous despite being an otaku.

Chapter 6 is out, finishing volume 1. A slightly slow start to the series but with the main characters and plot established, I expect volume two will really be great. Chapter six was the best so far:

Kuranosuke beginning to develop feelings for Tsukimi at the aquarium, impulsively removing his wig and make up, and getting jealous watching his brother comfort her was amazing. I love the idea of a love story between a cross dresser and jelly fish otaku, one of the great outsider romance set ups I can think of. Over all a very heartfelt chapter that should lead to good things in subsequent chapters.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Yeah I just read this Kait and it's really quite fun and promising. The build up of these early chapters is great.

Plot-wise it may not be unique, as there are a lot of similar shoujo like it (girl afraid of boys and society in general) but the story as a whole is endearing. ^^

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I'm still waiting before judging the plot. The first volume was pretty typical, if well done: love yourself for who you are without judging others and you'll find a place in the world for yourself. Nothing really new there. I doubt the basic themes will change as the story progresses but I do expect them to be explored in greater depth and with greater sensitivity than the average manga. I'm not expecting Honey and Clover levels of sophistication and intelligence but it does seem to be an intelligent series.

Lawl Po Bia

The OMO King
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Re: [Josei] Kuragehime by HIGASHIMURA Akiko

i will be honest , at first i was afraid of gender bender, but i kind of enjoyed it really like from chapter 2..I didnt find anything like "outstanding" but rather really something enjoyable to read.lol i find it funny how every nerdy type girl in manga becomes a total beauty when she takes off glasses and loosens up her hair.Hilarious.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Waaa I just read up to ch 22 :wtf

I really love the humor. The plot thickens. It seems the older brother is getting pulled away from Tsukimi. And to make things more exciting, Tsukimi starts to look at Kuranosuke in a more godlike light :XD

I did hope that more would happen for Tsukimi and the older brother. But I think there'll be more room for that in later chapters to complicate things and mess with Kuranosuke and Tsukimi's feelings :fan

It's so exciting to see Tsukimi's concentration shoot up too when it comes to seeing jellyfish. LOL she ripped the pearls apart. That skirt (and the one she's making from the french dress) must fetch for very high prices!

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I'm amazed at how fast the Edited Mangas are going.

how far off are the raws anyway?

shukketsumaru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Kuragehime rocks! So glad Funimation is bringing the anime to English speakers, can't wait for that. Wish the manga got an English release too, I swear on Xao Xao's horse I'd leap for joy if that happened. Tequila.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

do you guys have any news on how Edited Mangas are going with this?

---------- Post added October 15, 2011 at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was October 08, 2011 at 04:56 PM ----------

haha funny. As soon as I ask about the status of Edited Mangas chapters seem to be cropping up. ^^

I'm loving the new Indian characters. It adds new flavor to Kuranosuke's cross-dressing... And a new chance at fighting has sprung up against the redevelopment thanks to the brother...

Lawl Po Bia

The OMO King
Reaction score
Country
Japan

do you guys have any news on how Edited Mangas are going with this?

---------- Post added October 15, 2011 at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was October 08, 2011 at 04:56 PM ----------

haha funny. As soon as I ask about the status of Edited Mangas chapters seem to be cropping up. ^^

I'm loving the new Indian characters. It adds new flavor to Kuranosuke's cross-dressing... And a new chance at fighting has sprung up against the redevelopment thanks to the brother...
yes indeed. The enw chapter brought some Lol scenes. I loved the way otou-san kneeled haha thatw as hilarious.