First Round - Kuroko no Basket vs. Made in Abyss | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

First Round Kuroko no Basket vs. Made in Abyss

Who wins?

• Kuroko no Basket

• Made in Abyss

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandred

Plan Deviser
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Kuroko no Basket
Tadatoshi Fujimaki
-
Made in Abyss
Akihito Tsukushi

Rules- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it
Special Rules- We proudly encourage you to share the best pics of your Manga!
- Earn the possibility to win a badge by being the proudest Mangalover around!

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I already know what some of you are going to say. A Sports manga? Really Spirit? That's not your style. I know, I know. In the past, I've generally stayed away from Sports Manga. I didn't take to Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21 only engaged me for all of 12 chapters, and Haikyuu was a little too Slice of Life-ish for my tastes. I thought that there wasn't any Sports Manga that could go toe to toe with the greats of Shounen or the Narrative Masterpieces of Seinen. That is, until I read Kuroko no Basket that is...

:kuroko:kagami:kise:midorima:aomine:mura:akashi
The most common misconception that turns some people away is that KnB is "just a Sports Manga". Well, I'm here today to blow that falsehood out of the water. This is no run of the mill Sports Manga. Kuroko no Basket is a journey. A journey of discovery where youth develop deep bonds with Basketball as their medium.

The basketball team of Teiko Middle School rose to distinction by demolishing all competition. The regulars of the team became known as the "Generation of Miracles". After graduating from middle school, these five stars went to different high schools with top basketball teams. However, a fact known to few is that there was another player in the "Generation of Miracles": a phantom sixth man. This mysterious player is now a freshman at Seirin High, a new school with a powerful, if little-known, team. Now, Tetsuya Kuroko – "the sixth member of the "Generation of Miracles", and Taiga Kagami – a naturally talented player who spent most of middle school in the US, aim to bring Seirin to the top of Japan and begin taking on Kuroko's former teammates one by one. The series chronicles Seirin's rise to become Japan's number one high school team. The Generation of Miracles include Ryota Kise, Shintaro Midorima, Daiki Aomine, Atsushi Murasakibara and Seijuro Akashi.

Characters
Possibly one of a series most definitive factors in comparing it to another manga is its cast. Kuroko no Basket offers a wide array of interesting characters. Every player on every team has their own story, however trivial, and every face has a name. Throughout the progression of KnB's story, you see the ever developing chemistry between each team's players, such as how Seirin eventually become able to synchronise their movements around one player thanks to their total trust in one another, or the unique bond between Kuroko and Kagami that allows them to dominate the court. Oh, and let's not forget about the best relationship of them all, Midorima and Takao! :midotaka The important thing is that while witnessing the development of these bonds, you grow a real attachment to these guys. Kuroko Testuya is able to smash through the barriers of pretence his former teammates have erected around themselves and make them realise that all they ever wanted to do was play Basketball together, and have fun!

Art: Style & Quality
Kuroko no Basket's Art Style is one that develops overtime with its story. A generally clean style allows a level of detail that extends to the individual drops of sweat on a player's skin. It's a style that often highlights the visual effects of the various techniques used to symbolise basketball skills and power, which are very much a highlight of the series as a whole. Facial expressions are masterfully crafted to be able to read the raw emotion that a character is feeling at the time.

Powers, Techniques and Abilities
Another often occurring lynch pin for a manga can be its arsenal of dazzling techniques employed by its characters. Kuroko no Basket certainly doesn't shy away from this staple of the Shounen genre. In fact, it enhances it, bringing the classic flashy moves to new heights. Do you know why that is? It's because all of those dazzling, flashy abilities like The Zone, Cyclone Pass, Meteor Jam etc, are based on real technique used by NBA players and the like. If the lack of "realism" is what turns you away, I'm sorry to say that you no longer have a valid argument there :nod

"The Zone"

"Emperor Eye"

"Ignite Pass"

"Misdirection"

Kuroko no Basket isn't just a Sports Manga. It's special.
All I can say is, Kuroko no Basket will make you much happier during and after reading it, as opposed to the much darker, though fantastic storytelling of Made in Abyss. Perhaps moving out of your comfort zone may surprise you. I'm here to show you that Sports Manga can be the best too. Vote Kuroko no Basket! :aokuro

Last edited:

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
But wait. There's more...

I haven't shared with you all the surprising emotional impact that can come with reading Kuroko no Basket.

This series is fun. It's flashy, and it gives you a real feel-good enjoyment. It's electrifying and can keep you turning the page every. Single. Game. You would think that after a few games of Basketball one would get bored right? The same game played over and over? What's special in this case is that every game is different, with different stakes and different lengths that players are willing to go to in order to win.

Tetsuya Kuroko is a person with a very small presence. Nobody notices him, and that is quite sad on its own until you see how Kuroko uses this unfortunate fate of his to the advantage of his teammates. While surprisingly a weak basketball player all round himself, Kuroko is able to use his lack of presence to pass the ball around the court in unimaginable ways. The "Phantom Sixth Man" of the Generation of Miracles has his founding ability, his forte. Now with most Shounen, the Main Character will have his or her set of distinct powerful abilities or ways of thinking and stick to that path for the duration of the manga's story. Kuroko is different in that he, throughout the trials and challenges Seirin High team faces in their journey, is actually forced to change the way he plays Basketball, and the way that he thinks. Kuroko Tetsuya does not necessarily have to be the shadow to someone else's light.

This fact extends to the rest of the cast as well! Not only Kuroko but Kagami, Midorima, Aomine, Akashi and many more characters find themselves being changed by their contact and relationships with Kuroko. Everyone, at the end of the day is just there because they love Basketball, and each other...

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ofc I haven't prepared a shiny campaign like wiys, so in that regard I can't really compare. Don't have much time on my hands either, but I will try to campaign for MiA a bit, and hopefully some people will feel compelled to give the manga a chance.

The World of "Made in Abyss"

The world of this manga is the huge Abyss, a massive hole that goes very very far underground. It's an unexplored world, full of magic and mysteries. It's where mother nature could strive and animals could adapt to the strange environment, giving us a very interesting flora and fauna.

These animals can range from almost harmless to extremely dangerous, so you can never quite know what to expect. There are people who go down and explore the Abyss, called "Whistles". They know how to survive in this harsh environment, but even they don't dare to go beyond a certain point. While the upper levels are relatively well-explored, the deeper you go the more dangerous and strange things you will encounter. Meaning the Abyss has never been fully explored.

As you can see, it's a vast and fascinating world full of adventure. People speculate the bottom is at -20000m, but no one really knows.
At the very top is a small village, from where Whistles dive into the Abyss. And from there story starts for hour two main characters, a little boy and a little girl. That premise alone reminded me of Hunter x Hunter, so I jumped at the anime when it came out, and was so intrigued by the world that I started reading the manga right after. It didn't disappoint, and what starts as a happy adventure turns dangerous and twisted before our heroes even realize.

Next time I might go a bit more into the characters that drive the story. The characters make a huge part of the series, and there are all kinds of different (and strange) people with very different mindsets. But more about that next time. For now, let's dive into Abyss!

i dont know Knb, never manange ro get into it, as for Mia i did watch the anime, i dont know the manga though, but i loved a lot its adaptation (its maybe just me, but theres some tpn vibes imo :)

Thank you for your support Erin! :zomg You're right, it definitely has some TPN vibes with the dangerous world they're living in, having to survive on their own power. And it tackles some pretty heavy topics, too. You should check out the manga, it's not that far ahead so there isn't that much to read, but the world and mystery is only getting more fascinating.

This matchup is beyond cruel :crying
You know you want to vote for Made in Abyss :nod

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Dunno those but always read people ranking both high. Another one for me to wait to vote for, after reading more about them in this thread @.@

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I havent read any of them but I watched the anime of Made In Abyss and... wow.

At first the story doesn't really convince you but mid season onwards it became so good. The characters are memorable and it really impacted me that the protagonists of such a story were children.
The only reason for why I didn't pick the manga is because I know Im going to suffer when I catch up... since the updates are so slow. :emocat

I have yet to try KnB though, I have high expectations for it even if Im not really into superpower-sport manga. Will wait a little longer before voting but leaning towards MIA.

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Made In Abyss is from the animes I like the most, never read the manga but the art is stunning so I'm voting for it ✩°。⋆*:・゚✧

Last edited:

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Prepared? Nii that was straight from the heart bro :XD

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
My feelings in this match up aren't as strong as others but here's where they are.

My exposure to Made in Abyss is the anime. Which is quite good. I consider it absolutely nightmare fuel but in the same way Watership Down and Chronicle of Nim were in their day. It's a series that leaves a definite impact. Also Nanachi awesome and also best girl. This fact cannot be overstated.

My experience with Kuroko no Basket is barely existent. I don't read sports manga, I just don't, but it's hard not respect the passion of Spirit on this one. I can feel his love of the series even if I myself can never share in that.

So I guess I'm leaning Kuroko at the moment but I remain undecided.:sweatdrop

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Being prepared and coming straight from the heart don't contradict each other wyis : D

I havent read any of them but I watched the anime of Made In Abyss and... wow.

At first the story doesn't really convince you but mid season onwards it became so good. The characters are memorable and it really impacted me that the protagonists of such a story were children.
The only reason for why I didn't pick the manga is because I know Im going to suffer when I catch up... since the updates are so slow. :emocat

I have yet to try KnB though, I have high expectations for it even if Im not really into superpower-sport manga. Will wait a little longer before voting but leaning towards MIA.
Exactly, and it continues in that way. The story's only getting more fascinating and we're finally getting some (vague) ideas about the mysteries of the Abyss itself. Great stuff, you definitely won't be disappointed with the second season (because I don't think you will read the manga). Lots of this man coming:

:amuse

My feelings in this match up aren't as strong as others but here's where they are.

My exposure to Made in Abyss is the anime. Which is quite good. I consider it absolutely nightmare fuel but in the same way Watership Down and Chronicle of Nim were in their day. It's a series that leaves a definite impact. Also Nanachi awesome and also best girl. This fact cannot be overstated.

My experience with Kuroko no Basket is barely existent. I don't read sports manga, I just don't, but it's hard not respect the passion of Spirit on this one. I can feel his love of the series even if I myself can never share in that.

So I guess I'm leaning Kuroko at the moment but I remain undecided.:sweatdrop
So you're saying Made in Abyss is good and that Nanachi is best girl... then you go and say you basically know nothing about Kuroko and that sports series aren't your thing in general... and then you go and say you lean towards voting for the sports series :oh

Here, have some Nanachi art. If that doesn't convince you I dunno.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Voting Made in Abyss.

Reactions: Nii

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So in terms of cast, the series doesn't have that many characters in general, but that allows for greater foccus and attention to each of them.

Cast of "Made in Abyss"

Not exactly every character, but the most important ones for a majority of the series (official art)

Like I mentioned before, they're all quite different. You have our two main characters, called Riko and Reg (blonde girl and helmet boy). Riko is the daughter of a White Whistle (the strongest/most experienced whistles), and wants to explore the Abyss on her own, many years after her mother went missing.
What spurs her into action is the appearance of Reg, a mysterious boy who appears to be an android of sorts. While she isn't exactly allowed to dive down, because she's only an apprentice whistle, she ignores the rules and decides to explore the deeper levels of the Abyss together with Reg.

While Riko is a carefree and kind girl, she has a very strong dedication to her goal. Reg on the other hand lost his memories and is pulled along by Riko's enthusiasm. They both protect each other and form a strong bond on the way down to the bottom of the Abyss.
On their way they meet the third main character, called Nanachi (rabbit girl at the bottom left). She appears to be a cheerful girl who has survived the Abyss for years, but she's hiding a very tragic story related to her friend called Mitty (the creature on her left). Many consider her the best character of the series, and for a good reason at that.

Jokes aside, she's a multi-layered character who is very likeable but also troubled in lots of ways. Don't really want to spoil anything about her, but here's a teaser to get an idea. It also shows a bit more of the interesting environment of the Abyss.

The other very remarkable characters are the White Whistles they encounter along the way, namely Ozen and Bondrewd, but more about them next time. Might also go a bit into the whistle system (the ranking), because that fits here. For now let's head into the First Layer of the Abyss~

(The OST of the anime is stunning and beautiful, in my eyes)

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
So you're saying Made in Abyss is good and that Nanachi is best girl... then you go and say you basically know nothing about Kuroko and that sports series aren't your thing in general... and then you go and say you lean towards voting for the sports series :oh

Here, have some Nanachi art. If that doesn't convince you I dunno.
And that Spirit made a good case for why he loves it.

I like Made in Abyss. But not like you do. The term "nightmare fuel" is not praise. Not when it's coming from me. That said I do respect that it does things with emotional impact. And I do like Nanachi very much (other characters less so). I feel like Made in the Abyss has been a very special series to you since the early days of the anime but, if I'm being honest about it, I'm not sure why.

It's like Hunter X Hunter. I see the passion but I can't understand or relate to it. I like it but not with the intensity that seems to be expected.

With Kuroko no Basket, I feel like I understand the appeal. I get why it's special to Spirit and many others. It'll never be that to me but, because I get where he's coming from, I can respect what it is to him.

That all said, I'm still not sure what I'm voting for.

Last edited:

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Oh man. This competition is getting me amped up. Really feeling like I'm in the Zone now...

Something I believe might warm you all to Kuroko no Basket is, like niichan, properly introducing you to its cast. As you may or may not know, Kuroko no Basket's story revolves around the Generation of Miracles and the teams that they play for. I'm going to quickly introduce you to most of them to get an idea of who these people are and why you should care about them.

Seirin High

Wiki Article
Seirin High are the home team of our two main protagonists, Kuroko Tetsuya :kuroko and Kagami Taiga :kagami. The story follows these guys from the moment these two Highschool Freshmen join the team of the newly founded Seirin Basketball Club, and you will be besotted with them from the get go. Seirin is full of passionate lovers of Basketball who are capable of putting the ultimate trust in one another if need be. Through much of the earlier parts of the story, Kagami who spent his Middle School years in America is very much the pretentious and cocky character who values his own performance above that of his teammates. In fact, he spites Kuroko for believing that teamwork is the true ultimate form of Basketball, which was the reason Tetsu grew further apart from his former Generation of Miracles teammates of Middle School. Throughout the course of the story, Seirin's Victories and Defeats pull this team closer together, with each and every member always getting their turn in the spotlight. This is in no small part due to the presence of 1 of the 5 "Uncrowned Kings", said to be very close to the Generation of Miracles in ability and skill.

Shūtoku High

Wiki Article
Home of the Generation of Miracles Shooter, Shintarō Midorima :midorima, Shutoku High is a tight-knit team that is built around offestting Midorima's... OCD tendencies. Despite being the most accurate Goal Shooter in Japan, and being able to score 3's from the other side of the court and never miss, this leafy haired lout is totally obsessed with lucky charms and horrorscopes. Refusing to even play in a match without his lucky teakettle, for example, makes him a much deeper character than his stoic persona may first let on. The standout character dynamic here would certainly be Midorima and Kazunari Takao. :midotaka This dynamic duo are perfect for each other <3

Kaijō High

Wiki Article
Kaijo High hosts Ryōta Kise :kise, Small Forward of the Generation of Miracles, and is a powerhouse even within the world of KnB. Kise has the ability to perfectly copy any technique used by someone whom he has played with or against, leaving him with some of the most potential as an up and coming player. Often employed as a Male Model, Kise is much like a restless eagle needing to be tied down to play. While commanding a great deal of respect from his teammates, Kaijo is not afraid to give the Generation of Miracles Forward plenty of lip to keep him in line.

Tōō Academy

Wiki Article
A rising star team within Japan, the Academy is home team to various national level players, including the Generation of Miracles Ace, Daiki Aomine :aomine! Tōō is also managed by Kuroko's Middle School sweetheart, Satsuki Momoi. This team is somewhat bleak to start with, as there is no obvious trust or connection between its players, even when defeating Seirin High for the first time. However, each and every member of this team holds the utmost faith in their Ace thanks to his overwhelming skill. But, even the self absorbed Aomine shows that he is able to change when defeated by Kuroko and Kagami of Seirin, finally returning Kuroko's fist bump after many years of ignoring someone he mistakenly believed to be weak.

Yōsen High

Wiki Article
Yōsen High is one of my favourite teams because of the way they all support the somewhat simple Atsushi Murasakibara :mura, Towering Center of the Generation of Miracles. "Mura-chin" is a giant of a First Year who cares and is good at nothing save Basketball. He's always loafing around and stealing snacks, and can be the most childish of the whole cast when being baited with simple insults. Despite all of his flaws though, Tatsuya Himuro (Childhood friend of Kagami Taiga) and the rest of the team are always right behind Murasakibara, watching his back and supporting him where he falls short. It's what could only be described as sweet, in a sweaty basketball way.

Rakuzan High

Wiki Artcile
The most powerful High School Basketball team, Rakuzan is truly the image of a near insurmountable fortress. With not only 3 of the Uncrowned Kings, but also the Generation of Miracles Captain Seijūrō Akashi :akashi, this is the team that acts as the catalyst for the reunion of the Generation of Miracles. Akashi possesses the Emperor Eye, essentially enabling him to predict all of the outcomes of play on his court. He has a kingly presence that demands submission, and is essentially the final boss of Kuroko no Basket. However, despite his sociopathic personality, and the fact that Akashi has never once faced defeat, he too is changed for the better when defeat at last comes knocking at Rakuzan's door.

Last edited:

The one who laugh

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Syria
I think I will vote for MIA its world looks interesting but I could have voted for KNB it is great sports manga but I see it has 1 mistake and it is the Zone it looks like it gives superpower which I think it is a big mistake in a sports manga it is true that there emperor eye but the author introduced the Zone so the MC can win .

But I still recommend people to read or watch it.:verily

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.