Discussion - Language(s) in the Titan World | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Language(s) in the Titan World

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Language in the Titan World, more specifically the written language.

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this already:

(BEWARE! Although this information in the following link is present in the inside covers of the manga tankoubon, it is still somewhat major spoiler.)

http://calorescence.tumblr.com/post/51450703198/did-you-know-the-inside-covers-of-the-japanese (thanks Georgie for suggesting to me)

It's okay if you don't want to click on the spoiler! The point is, there are texts written all over the place by the author on the map design, which is basically in upside-down Japanese (in katakana, for those of you who know.)

Normally this could have a few main explanations.
- A little joke from the author
- Some kind of code within the SnK universe
- A made-up language within the SnK universe with the intention to parallel the real Japanese
- A made-up language that has nothing to do with the "Eastern race/Japanese/Mikasa's race" (as suggested by teioh in another thread, which happens to be as plausible as the previous explanation and this post will explain why.)

The main (& important) instance that involves 'language' in the story is perhaps the Ymir-Reiner canned food incident.

Reiner is surprised Ymir could read the language. The above picture has been flipped upside-down.

The text reads: ンシニ
which is herring (ニシン) in reverse.

(For real Japanese, you read from left to right.
To convert this SnK language into real Japanese, flip over, read from right to left. This is however not consistent as we will see later.)

At first, I thought there exists a language in the SnK Universe that is based on real-life Japanese. Since we know Mikasa is one of those (literally) "Eastern people," and that her name is Japanese, I assume that this upside-down Japanese language is Titan-related, and the "Eastern people" have something important to do with them.

But the contradiction comes in when I discover more 'language' examples scattered all over the place. Thanks to a major major tip-off from Pixiv member kao, I've located those examples and edited the panels in question.

The following two images come from the extra chapter about Ilse Langner, whose notebook is later picked up by Levi and claimed as her military gains.

Please be patient with me while I try to explain to a point so that all of us, Japanese speakers or not, are on equal-standing with regards to how much we know.

With the same logic as the canned food incident, we can assume the writing is upside-down to real Japanese. So the panels have been flipped over.

The first image is when Ilse's monologue is saying "On our way back, we met Titans."

In the same panel, her notebook reads (I've marked in blue):

ウグウソ
ジョキジンカ

u gu u so
ji yo ki ji nn ka

Reverse the writing to get:

so u gu u
ka nn ji ki yo ji

Now, the interesting thing.
souguu = to meet/encounter
kikanji kyojin = On our way back, Titan

(Bits I've bolded are letters I've added in to make sense of it.)

I have not yet bought the volumes yet so I cannot double-check the original phrase. But I am 99% sure what she writes in her notebook exactly matches her monologue in the raw. (Translated scans: "On our way back, my brigade encountered Titans.")

Second image:

イナ
ラカン

i na
ra ka nn

Reversing the text, and adding assumptions (bolded text):

kyojin kara nogarerarenai = Cannot escape from Titan

And guess what, Ilse monologue in the previous panel says: "It's impossible for a human to run away from Titans on foot."

Other instances (I can't be bothered to highlight all of them in blue lol, too much work and it actually HURTs my eyes) include:

Chapter 1, right before the Colossal Titan appears, a sign is shaken to swing about. Although in a very different font, it reads "douguya," meaning "Item Store." (This one is inconsistent with the notebook and canned herring (large panel): you flip, then read from left to right.)

Chapter 12, right before Eren turns into a Titan, there's a large panel featuring the large rock Eren's about to carry. Next to the rock is a sign, titled "ooiwa," meaning "big rock" (lol.) (Again, flip, read from left to right.)

Chapter 22, when the dude is point on the map briefing the team. On the map there are phrases like "enemy-detecting team" and "horse-cart protection" (sakutekihan and nibasha goei.) These two cases, although written upside-down, they are also not reversed. i.e. you flip them over and read left to right.

Chapter 38: the canned herring. Although we've discussed this above, prior to the larger panel, there are two smaller panels which you can just about figure out the Japanese words on the can. BUT! Inconsistency is present again:

The first two panels are written in reverse to the larger panel (when Reiner's reading the can.)

The hidden text in the inside covers of the tankoubon is written upside-down, left to right, top to bottom. This is not consistent with Ilse's note book (upside-down, right to left, bottom to top.)

Afterwords: By all means, this SnK language can simply be some random Easter Egg the author has made up, and does nothing to the main story, meaning the inconsistency in the writing system does not mean anything.

Also, because judging from Reiner's reaction, people in the walls aren't suppose to know this writing system, but Ilse the scout writes in exactly the same language as the canned herring...! Which kinda means we're not meant to care about this writing issue lol.

The only reason I cannot let is slide pass completely is because this language seems to play a role in the story (Reiner-Ymir incident.)

Concerning the inconsistency on the can of herring, I'll see if the author made any changes in the tankoubon when I finally get my hands on a copy. It most probably is a mistake, but I really can't tell in which direction it's meant to be read due to the plot.

I don't intend to come to any conclusion from this thread. My main purpose is to let people who aren't familiar with the language to gain the same insight as the ones who know it, and from then discuss what this could be all about.

Last edited:

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you so much for the round up of text! I was meaning to scour through and do the same thing but it was gonna hurt my eyes too much to try to catch that (I also don't have volumes) so I REALLY appreciate that you already did. :XD

You've basically confirmed what I already suspected: the cans and the hidden tankoubon text match because they're written in "Old World" language (upside-down right-to-left) but the rest of it is different (upside-down left-to-right) because it's more modern, "New World" language. This is also consistent with how very old Japanese writing (you'll sometimes come across it in Japan even) was written right-to-left. A very clear clue to Japanese people. In order to do something similar in a text written in English, the equivalent would be to do something like replace modern words with their Old English equivalents or take some of the letters of modern English away and replace them with Middle English equivalents.

There's more writing on the signboard by the 「オオイワ」-- has anyone figured that out?

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Thank you so much for the round up of text! I was meaning to scour through and do the same thing but it was gonna hurt my eyes too much to try to catch that (I also don't have volumes) so I REALLY appreciate that you already did. :XD

You've basically confirmed what I already suspected: the cans and the hidden tankoubon text match because they're written in "Old World" language (upside-down right-to-left) but the rest of it is different (upside-down left-to-right) because it's more modern, "New World" language. This is also consistent with how very old Japanese writing (you'll sometimes come across it in Japan even) was written right-to-left. A very clear clue to Japanese people. In order to do something similar in a text written in English, the equivalent would be to do something like replace modern words with their Old English equivalents or take some of the letters of modern English away and replace them with Middle English equivalents.

There's more writing on the signboard by the 「オオイワ」-- has anyone figured that out?
LOL I was hoping no-one would bring that up :P Because I've been going over that for LONG and couldn't figure it out (I really thought it would be interesting to see what they have to say about that rock...)

Oh about that modern and old language thing, I really think the same as you too, but this one bit makes me think otherwise. Ilse's journal has writing going in the OPPOSITE direction (as oppose to the Item Store sign in Chapter 1, Big Rock sign in Chapter 12, and Strategies on the whiteboard in Chapter 38.) Sorry if I was being super unclear in my previous post, I was majorly confusing myself too lol XD

Basically, in order to translate REAL Japanese to:
1) Ilse's journal: We write real Japanese BACKWARDS, then flip upside-down
2) Big Rock: We write real Japanese normally, then flip
3) Strategies: We write real Japanese normally, then flip
4) Fish can: We write real Japanese BACKWARDS, then flip
5) Inside-cover: We write real Japanese normally, then flip (Note that we don't know who wrote this, if this were cannon with the story)

etc.

But personally I'm hoping the out-of-order bits are just mistakes on Isayama's part (specifically Ilse's journal, I don't really take the inside-cover into account. For all we know it could be written by the current government)... Because I'd rather buy your explanation XD

And then later find out this is just one big troll by Isayama..........

Okay, onto the Big Rock issue... Since my eyes hurt I figure it'd be good fun if anyone else reading my post right now could help out too :P If you're interested anyway.

Below is the original image already flipped upside-down for you:

Pulling up the contrast: (With Example. This is what we know for sure so far.)

You're gonna need this:

My attempt so far:
(Try not to click on this spoiler if you intend to try the challenge because you might not be able to 'unsee' my attempt if it turned out to be wrong XD )

Outlined text = I'm pretty sure
Yellow/Lighter text = I'm not sure/probably wrong

Knowing a bit of Japanese might help because we're assuming the text makes sense lol. But in the end it doesn't matter really lol.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
on a 4x8 grid, this is all I could come up with. Just any possibility for each. I wasn't trying to look for words. ^_^;

ク     ハ     ?     ソ     ウ/キ   ヤ
 セ(マ)  メ(チ)  ?     ?     ア     ?     ?     ?
 カ/ヤ   ウ/ク   ロ     ノ     ?     ?     ?     ?
 ?     ?     オ     オ     イ     ワ

I've also searched for Japanese sites where they might have a better clue but no luck so far...

Yumpo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What chapter was this "Big Rock?"

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Chapter 12. If you have the raw volume (or even if they translated in already into English), a clean scan would be super lovely... :)

Yumpo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Annoying screentones....I could rescan it again if you guys want. Just specify the resolution. The 1st and 3rd one were scanned with 1200res, the 2nd one was with 800res. All three were reduced without scaling to 300res.

Last edited:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yumpo I cannot thank you enough......!!!

The scans are brilliant, I think I've got it.......... at least 80%.......... lol
Well at least I can confirm to myself the top line is actually grass :P

マチガ○○イゼン
カラコノチニアル
オオイワ

The different parts of the sentence should be phrased like this:
マチガ ○○イゼンカラ
コノチニアル オオイワ

Meaning:

The Big Rock that has been here (on this land) (since) before the town was xxxxxx.

Unfortunately, I still have no idea what that xxxxxx is. I have a hunch it could be "built" or "come to be" but I really can't figure out the remaining 2(?) characters...

Also, if you read the sentence in Japanese, the Big Rock sounds like it is part of the sentence rather than the title of the sign. More precisely, the subject (Big Rock オオイワ) is placed at the end of this specific sentence (the last four characters on the sign.) If you take out the "Big Rock" and treat it as a title (i.e. make it not part of the sentence) it wouldn't sound as complete...

My point is, basically the SnK people probably wrote from bottom to top for this sign lol. I really have no idea what Isayama is thinking :/

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Just one note before anyone quotes me on it (for good or bad lol)
I'm actually not 100% sure on the last bit of the first line either (イゼン)
But I'm pretty sure I can see the イ, and I can somewhat see the ン
And イゼンカラ is a term (meaning~ before,) so I figure the hard-to-read blob in the middle could be ゼ

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yay, THANK YOU Yumpo!!!! LOLOL... that top row was just grass. :XD

And yay, I think you're right, Utsune. "Tatsu" fits there for "construct." You're much, much better at finding the characters in there than I am (I'm better at figuring out people's scribbly handwritten kanji than I am at this at least, lol) but I'm pretty confident of the katakana "ta" ...and "tsu" looks very very likely. Fits the sentence well, too. :)

マチガタツイゼン
カラコノチニアル
オオイワ

街が建つ以前からこの地にある大岩

As for how to read it, the entire thing is not technically a sentence but an adjectivial phrase *describing* that rock. Like 「4時に寝た人たち」 "People who went to bed at 4am," it's "Boulder that has been here since before the town was (beginning to be) built."

This could support the time leap/loop theory! xD

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yay, THANK YOU Yumpo!!!! LOLOL... that top row was just grass. :XD

And yay, I think you're right, Utsune. "Tatsu" fits there for "construct." You're much, much better at finding the characters in there than I am (I'm better at figuring out people's scribbly handwritten kanji than I am at this at least, lol) but I'm pretty confident of the katakana "ta" ...and "tsu" looks very very likely. Fits the sentence well, too. :)

マチガタツイゼン
カラコノチニアル
オオイワ

街が建つ以前からこの地にある大岩

As for how to read it, the entire thing is not technically a sentence but an adjectivial phrase *describing* that rock. Like 「4時に寝た人たち」 "People who went to bed at 4am," it's "Boulder that has been here since before the town was (beginning to be) built."

This could support the time leap/loop theory! xD
Waaaa kannzuki that's genius! Finally!! hahaha \(^^)/

I can really see the TA now, albeit it's a really squished up TA. I can only figure out the bottom part of TSU, but as you've suggested, there is none other than TSU.

Hmmm I'm not so sure if it relates to anything to do with Time Loop. But I really feel it is super related to the bunch of text in the inside cover of the manga (first link in the first post of this thread.) It is one of the few instances when they mention anything to do with the time before the city is built. Did they ever explain the origin of the rock btw? (first time we see it is when Armin suggests using it.) In fact, why and how did it get here? Why did they make a sign out of it lol? I always assumed it was a random piece that flew across the town when R&B kicked the door some years ago, but of course now I think otherwise (and I doubt they would keep something that reminds them of their 'shameful' defeat.)

(And oh I had no idea that's called an adjectivial phrase haha, I guess you learn something new every day! But still doesn't change the fact they write from bottom to top lol :P One of the main reasons I automatically relate this to the text in the inside cover...)

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm pretty good with English word puzzles but I could only really help with this when it was down to one word left, lol.

It's readable upside-down and forwards (like everything except for the can if I understand correctly), yes, but that's not I was getting at. I was also making the mistake of referring to the phrase on the sign as a "sentence" but it's not. It's just a phrase describing the main noun. Like in "flower-filled tree" and "tree with lots of flowers growing in it." Neither one is a "sentence," strictly speaking. In a Japanese, the subject often comes first (doesn't have to though), but an adjectivial phrase always comes before the noun it's modifying. That's why "ooiwa" is at the end. (It's not terribly important though. It was just that it seemed to bother you that ooiwa would appear at the bottom and that was why.)

At first I thought "oh I guess that boulder was just there then" but it then occurred to me: "Isn't this kind of suspicious?" I mean what other reason was there for a boulder to be there, before the town was even built (which I'm assuming was not long after the outer wall towns as people migrated inward from Wall Maria to Rose to Sina)? Why aren't there other big rocks that were too heavy to move, from before the town was built? Why did someone feel the need to put a sign in there specifically mentioning the boulder was in place before anyone even got there? I realize there's room for doubt, but I think it's like someone knew what was going to happen.

Last edited:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm pretty good with English word puzzles but I could only really help with this when it was down to one word left, lol.

It's readable upside-down and forwards (like everything except for the can if I understand correctly), yes, but that's not I was getting at. I was also making the mistake of referring to the phrase on the sign as a "sentence" but it's not. It's just a phrase describing the main noun. Like in "flower-filled tree" and "tree with lots of flowers growing in it." Neither one is a "sentence," strictly speaking. In a Japanese, the subject often comes first (doesn't have to though), but an adjectivial phrase always comes before the noun it's modifying. That's why "ooiwa" is at the end. (It's not terribly important though. It was just that it seemed to bother you that ooiwa would appear at the bottom and that was why.)

At first I thought "oh I guess that boulder was just there then" but it then occurred to me: "Isn't this kind of suspicious?" I mean what other reason was there for a boulder to be there, before the town was even built (which I'm assuming was not long after the outer wall towns as people migrated inward from Wall Maria to Rose to Sina)? Why aren't there other big rocks that were too heavy to move, from before the town was built? Why did someone feel the need to put a sign in there specifically mentioning the boulder was in place before anyone even got there? I realize there's room for doubt, but I think it's like someone knew what was going to happen.

Haha yes of course I'm pretty bothered by how OOIWA is at the bottom but that's because the people in the SnK Universe would be writting upside-down otherwise, meaning the supposed 'title' of the artwork 'big rock' wouldn't be a 'title' after all lol. The one big reason we write from top to bottom is so that our hands wouldn't get in the way as we write. (btw I never 'learnt' Japanese with all those tech terms just like how most native speakers didn't 'learn' English with all the technical explanation so your lesson will come in pretty handy if I need to explain stuff in the future :P (one reason I gave up on French) This is a pretty big must-know difference after all, compared to English)

And lol yeah I love the fact I just brainlessly assumed the rock was a piece of defeat from 5 years ago and I love even more the fact we're not supposed to know what the sign says! But, one thing for sure, even if we're not suppose to read the sign, people are bound to ask why there's a random rock in the middle of town as you've suggested and I'm pretty sure Isayama will get to it sooner or later.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I know I'm getting ahead of myself here with the hypothesizing but I think there's a good chance the rock was put there by someone who knew what was going to happen, even 100 years ago when the humans first migrated into the walls. Or rather, a group of people like the wall cult that knows about the secret of the titans in the walls. I think I'm going to start from around chapter 10 and start rereading all the way through, because I want to separate canon from filler, AND look more closely at what the cult was saying in court...

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I know I'm getting ahead of myself here with the hypothesizing but I think there's a good chance the rock was put there by someone who knew what was going to happen, even 100 years ago when the humans first migrated into the walls. Or rather, a group of people like the wall cult that knows about the secret of the titans in the walls. I think I'm going to start from around chapter 10 and start rereading all the way through, because I want to separate canon from filler, AND look more closely at what the cult was saying in court...
Mindblown! Not that I was speculating anythning at all, but that's gonna make me re-read as well now! :P

---------- Post added July 05, 2013 at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was June 23, 2013 at 02:10 AM ----------

Just a small addition info to the Big Rock:

http://www.mangapanda.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/4/17

Turns out they really intend to use it right from the beginning, but don't have time to dig it up fully before the second attack.

leneq

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
This is quite an old thread, but maybe someone will check it:)
I haven't seen anyone saying anything about the writing on a wall in snk's second ending and I don't know Japanese so I can't translate it.
Does anyone know what it's saying? Is it even readable? Or is it just the same story that calorescence translated on their tumblr (the first post in this thread has a link to it)?
http://imgur.com/a/L1gJl (screencaptures)

BobobVanBlob

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I haven't seen anyone saying anything about the writing on a wall in snk's second ending and I don't know Japanese so I can't translate it.
Does anyone know what it's saying? Is it even readable? Or is it just the same story that calorescence translated on their tumblr (the first post in this thread has a link to it)?
I think it's the same story as the one in the cover of the SnK manga, that may be why nobody bothered to do a different article for the same thing.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
No idea, unfortunately.

Thought I'd update this thread a little though, since we've had another (serious - I'm not including the dirty jokes by an assistant thing) entry. When I flipped the text in chapter 69's phial label both vertically and horizontally, I was able to make out some individual characters but it wasn't until I found this blog post that I could form words from what I saw (as mentioned here). So +1 to the backwards-and-upside-down collection, and here is the (flipped) image:

「フツウノキョジン」
"regular titan" or "ordinary titan" (literally "the usual <type of> titan")

Last edited:

Haze

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
*slight changes have been made to wording for clarification*
Upper Left:
巨人の出現により住処を失い逃げ惑う人々。
People fleeing their homes due to the appearance of the Titans.
Lower Left:
巨人の圧倒的な戦力に成す術もなく、人類は新天地への航海を余儀なくされた。このとき人類のほとんどが死滅したが、その大半は人同士の手によるのでした。
Unable to match the overwhelming force of the Titans, humanity was forced to sail to a new world. At this time, most of humanity had been annihilated, but the majority of this was at the hands of their fellow humans.
Center (under the volume number):
船に乗れたのはごく少数の権力者たちだけであった。
Those who gained passage aboard the ships were only a small fraction composed of the rich and powerful.
Below Center:
航海は難航を極め、約半数が目的地に到達することなく消息を絶った。
The voyage was rough; about half [of the ships?] vanished without reaching the other shore.
Upper Middle Right:
新天地にはもともと長大な壁が用意された。
In the new world, great walls had previously been prepared.*
Lower Middle Right:
新大陸・・・ここを我々は神聖なるものとして崇める。
This new continent, we shall revere as sacred.
Right:
この壁の中には人類の理想がある。
この壁の中に永久に争いのない世界をつくろう。
Within these walls are the ideals of humanity.**
Within these walls, let us create a world eternally without strife.

If this translation is true, then it opens up room for entirely new speculation. According to the translation, it seems that continents, even those other than the one in which the wall is located had become infested by with Titans at an earlier point in time. However this still fails to explain anything about how the first came to be or anything about his existence or the warriors for that matter either. The people seemed to not know anything about the first king though, from what is mentioned and knew nothing about the walled cities either, until word reached. This could have perhaps had been news from the messengers of the first king, or mere spread of word, or maybe, even a widespread announcement. It could be anything. Anyway, the people didn't know of the walls, and the walls were erected in a continent different from the one in which the humans previously were. It is also due to this that the people who sailed to the new lands probably knew nothing of the first king, and it would be fair to say weren't devotees of him at this point, but mere humans running for their lives. This clarifies that the first king built a haven from the entirety of humanity, and not just for his followers. The people perhaps later came to become followers of him, but they weren't at this point, and the mention of this entire journey also somewhat hints towards how the minority bloodlines (The Ackerman, Asians and the others) made it to and within the walls.
The translation also mentions the people dying, but most humans having been killed by the hands of each other, and not the Titans. This probably hints towards a civil war going on among the humans themselves, with the Titans suddenly showing up at one point in time as a greater adversity, pushing back the whole of humanity, friend or foe alike. Pixis had also mentioned this in the series I believe, albeit calling it a Fairy tail.
However this still fails to explain anything about how the titans came to be, and doesn't hint the slightest bit towards any present factions, the warriors and the first king alike, for that matter. The titans seem to have been a way of uniting Humanity, most of whom were dying at the hands of each other by having them retreat as a whole and probably come together to take out this greater adversity as one. Either that, or they were most definitely a biological weapon created by one of the sides in the war, and due to the weapon not being entirely perfect, the side making it ended up creating entire hordes of mindless titans (The Warriors?). One of the titans who saw a solution to this, and to keep humanity further united, erected the walls as a safe haven but chose to have humanity live caged within the haven as a grim reminder while the adversity walks the Earth outside (The first king?). I'd go with the latter of theories though, as the first indeed sounds like a fairy tail, and less plausible of the two. That could still however be made plausible if it was the first king himself who made the titans as a means of uniting the humans and finally placing them under his rule. This hypothesis is trumped though as from what we have seen, the first king isn't there only one capable of turning humans into titans and that BT could do the same. This again places the biological weapon theory as more plausible and solid of the ones mentioned above.