Discussion - Laptops for college | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Laptops for college

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
As the title says, I'd like to know what you guys think the best laptop would be since I'm heading out to college soon. And if you post, can you leave a reason?

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, which college are you going to and what are you majoring in? Some schools have requirements or recommendations as to what computer they want you to have. Some Majors will have certain requirements as well.

Just as a general guideline, I typically prefer Asus and Toshiba when it comes to PCs. Windows 7 is a given on anything you buy these days. I'd recommend a unit that has at least 3 or 4GB RAM, 320GB Hard drive, and the screen size depends on what your preference is. Most models hover in the 14.1-15.6" range for college students, since they tend to take them around more often.

Best Buy has a pretty good back-to-school bundle deal on their website right now where you get a Toshiba laptop, 26" TV, Microsoft Office, XBOX 360, Camera, Backpack, Camera case, 3 Month XBOX Live Gold subscription, $20 CinemaNow card, $15 Napster card, 1 year of Antivirus, and it includes the computer being setup for you for $1299.99. It's a great deal if you need all the stuff in the bundle. There are other smaller bundles through them too. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compute...er/pcmcat202700050008.c?id=pcmcat202700050008

Zatono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to Rutgers School of Arts and Sciences, and majoring in Biological Sciences, so there aren't any requirements that I know of. People keep saying to get a Mac, but I don't understand why considering other laptops have better processors, etc, for a cheaper price.

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Sorry, but how much do you think you'll be able to spend on a lappy? It's easier to give you a good suggestion while knowing the price range. :)

KonohamaruHeaven

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking for a new laptop

:eyeroll So im looking for a new laptops and i want some recommendation.

i has to have a.
Maybe a $650 spending limit( maybe more when i sell my current laptop)
bluetooth
dont worry about hardrive size i have a 640gb ready to put in.
3 or 4 gb ram

oh and one more thing. I want the screen size to be 17 "

[mod=Charlie-San]Merged~[/mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

CBlitz

Reaction score
Country
United States
you can get a good laptop somewhere around the 400-600$ range, go for the HP and Toshiba brands. Macs are overrated and you don't need one unless you want to go into graphic design

also nice @ going to Rutgers, my sister went there and majored in the same field you're looking into lol

Isogi

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
The only thing you really need for college unless otherwise specified is a word processor program. I've had friends in college who used laptops made 4-5+ years before they entered with just bare minimum functionality, but that's all they needed from it for their own studies. Beyond what your school might indicate that you must have, it's all personal preference. Most people who recommend Macs that I've talked to find the interface more user-friendly and simple, but if you're used to Windows PCs, it can be hit or miss to switch.

solopocolo

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
You should often check slickdeals.net/forums. There's always good deal going on , it's July 4th now ;)
I suggest IBM thinkpad if you could get one. I've had IBM, Dell, Sony, Hp and MBP.
A thinkpad will last you years. My Dell working laptop broke down twice cuz of bad motherboards. Last year I got my brother a T41 for $700, he loves it.

crees

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I use the dell Vostro 1320 which I pretty good and no complaints from it.

You can go to the site and have a look at it.

Paper

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Asus has come up with new models that are great on specs but are kind on the wallet!

Asus laptop w/ i3, 4gb DDR3 memory, Win7 home 64, and 500gb of HDD space. 699.00USD

A friend of mine bought one of the new models here in the Philippines for about 800.00 USD. it had an i5 processor, 4gb DDR3, and a sweet 1gb GPU. Not sure what model though. I'll post the model once I find out.

EDIT: The model number is "X42J"

Last edited: