Last 16: Match up 4!: Garp vs. Dragon | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Last 16: Match up 4!: Garp vs. Dragon

Who wins?

• Monkey D. Garp

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Monkey D. Dragon

Votes: 30 65.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This thread wont have a poll until one day of discussion. This is to avoid one-liners and allow a bit more of discussion on each fight, as well to allow you to change your mind while discussing it. Thanks for your understanding.

Last 16: Match up 4!: Garp vs. Dragon

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonsagara

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Garp should take this one. We haven't seen Dragon do anything substantial, except helping Luffy escape from pre-TS Smoker, and getting away himself.

Kazu-Sama

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two comparative unknowns - one, the leader of the Revolutionary army, father of Monkey D. Luffy, and wielder of what is presumably a weather type Devil Fruit, the other one of the strongest people in the marines.

I'd be inclined to say that in an all-out battle, Dragon would win it, but that's all speculation, and based on what we've seen Garp is definitely the favourite. I'm not voting in this, there's no way of knowing who'll win.

Last edited:

Cyrs

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
I'd say Dragon wins this. He's the most wanted man in the world. Meaning, no one, including Garp, has been able to capture him. Garp is very strong, but he never actually captured Roger, Roger just turned himself in. Dragon is also Garp's son and Luffy's father, and closer to his prime than Garp is. Garp and the entire rest of the Marine and World Government forces have not been able to capture Dragon, who effortlessly stopped a logia like Smoker.

It would be a spectacular battle, but I don't see Garp winning this one.

Mr. Arashi

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Dragon wins, because Garp is old aged.

Leonsagara

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd say Dragon wins this. He's the most wanted man in the world. Meaning, no one, including Garp, has been able to capture him. Garp is very strong, but he never actually captured Roger, Roger just turned himself in. Dragon is also Garp's son and Luffy's father, and closer to his prime than Garp is. Garp and the entire rest of the Marine and World Government forces have not been able to capture Dragon, who effortlessly stopped a logia like Smoker.

It would be a spectacular battle, but I don't see Garp winning this one.
Garp probably hasn't been trying very hard to capture Dragon. Garp should easily win this; he and his reputation are a lot stronger than Dragon('s).

Cyrs

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
Garp probably hasn't been trying very hard to capture Dragon. Garp should easily win this; he and his reputation are a lot stronger than Dragon('s).
But Sengoku is at least as strong as Garp, strong enough to hold down an enraged Garp during the war. And Sengoku, the Admirals, the rest of the marines, and everything else at the World Government's disposal have not been able to capture or kill Dragon.

He's the most wanted man in the world. Up until Akainu began focusing the Marine forces on the New World, the Yonkou were pretty much left alone. They would've been after Dragon. Heck, even Whitebeard didn't survive when the marines targeted him. You may say that was strategy or interference by Blackbeard, but Dragon's been dealing with at least that much after him continually.

I don't see Garp, especially not being in his prime anymore, winning against Dragon. And in no way would he come close to winning easily. Also, Garp's reputation as the "Hero of the Marines" is based off "capturing" the Pirate King, Roger. When in fact, Roger just turned himself in. So that would actually make Garp's reputation weaker.

darkprince0521

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
But Sengoku is at least as strong as Garp, strong enough to hold down an enraged Garp during the war. And Sengoku, the Admirals, the rest of the marines, and everything else at the World Government's disposal have not been able to capture or kill Dragon.

He's the most wanted man in the world. Up until Akainu began focusing the Marine forces on the New World, the Yonkou were pretty much left alone. They would've been after Dragon. Heck, even Whitebeard didn't survive when the marines targeted him. You may say that was strategy or interference by Blackbeard, but Dragon's been dealing with at least that much after him continually.

I don't see Garp, especially not being in his prime anymore, winning against Dragon. And in no way would he come close to winning easily. Also, Garp's reputation as the "Hero of the Marines" is based off "capturing" the Pirate King, Roger. When in fact, Roger just turned himself in. So that would actually make Garp's reputation weaker.
oh please.... that's not a good logic. remember Ivankov was hiding inside a prison, nobody could find him; that doesn't make him stronger than Magellan.

and if you can, then please show a page where it says Garp is "Hero of the Marines" because he captured Roger; i cannot remember it.

about Whitebeard not surviving the War; does that make him weaker than Dragon? i guess anyone against that much force cannot do better than Whitebeard; not to mention Whitebeard was already under medication because of old age and poor health; he was stabbed through his chest even before joining the battle; yet he owned everyone.

anyway, at the end of the day, i would vote for Dragon; but only because Garp is past his prime.

Last edited:

Cyrs

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
oh please.... that's not a good logic. remember Ivankov was hiding inside a prison, nobody could find him; that doesn't make him stronger than Magellan.
True, but we've seen that the amount on a Bounty is generally a good indicator of the person's level of strength. And Ivankov wasn't weak. He couldn't eliminate Magellan. However, neither could Magellan eliminate him. So that argument is a moot point. And the bounty consideration stands as a reasonable indicator. Being the "most wanted man in the world" means his bounty surpasses all others, including the Yonkou. Does that necessarily mean he's stronger? No, but it doesn't just mean nothing. And the fact that the strongest man in the world was brought down by the focused efforts of the Marines with some help from Blackbeard, indicates Dragon deserves some serious points for having long survived the focused efforts of the Marines and whatever else the World Government has to throw at him. Don't you think?

Leonsagara

Reaction score
Country
United States
We don't actually know if the Marines have been putting a lot of effort into finding Dragon, plus their forces are rarely gathered together. We don't even know where Dragon primarily operates. The Marines are mostly focused in the Grand Line and the New World. East Blue couldn't even find Marines strong enough to take down Arlong. If the situation in North, South, and West Blue is similar, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that they haven't managed to take down Dragon. Anyway, the Marine's main goal seems to be hunting pirates and they are mostly out on that mission in the Grand Line/New World. Hunting down Dragon is more for groups like CP9, IMO.

Cyrs

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
I understand where you're coming from, but if he's the most wanted man in the world, that means he's a higher priority than any other wanted person - that is, anyone with a bounty.

Also, the Marines hadn't had a strong presence in the New World until Akainu took over.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I'd say Garp is the winner because of his experiences and what little we saw of his power. Dude freakin' threw a cannon ball so far and managed to hurt Luffy with just his fists. Not to mention, Captain Morgan's axe didn't even faze Garp, he was still taking a nap. Right now, I'm not sure if Garp can be hurt by anything.

0Xellos

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Younger generation FTW! :D
I'm inclined for Dragon, mostly for his hype and hax-seeming DF... besides, Garp isn't what he was before, he's older and probably weaker now.

Sachsenhesse

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Garp, he is a legend. He will beat some sense in his son, who dared to betray the marines and become a revultionleader.

Kazu-Sama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something I was thinking about today - When Shiki was captured by the marines, they sent 2 guys to do it. Sengoku, who's top brass, has an incredible DF, and is one of the most powerful marines there is, and Garp. Not Kong, not Akianu (or any equivalent admiral), not a Shikibukai, Garp. Shiki was deemed a rival to Gol D. Roger, he escaped from Impel Down, and was only beaten by a very, very lucky Luffy. So the fact they chose to send Garp over anyone else says a lot about his power...

THM Nindo

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah, Garp wins this!

mattiaildivino

九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Italy
we know nothing of dragon's strength,but he should be stronger than garp. ivankov,witnessing luffy's strength,said he had the same terrifying power of dragon,not to mention dragon is above kuma and iva herself. also,garp is too old now,as he said,he has become weaker...

CT Smith

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Republic
Experience beats speculation. We know by reading and by reference of how powerful Garp is, but there isn't even a single reference of Dragon fighting anyone. Yes, he is most likely one of the top 10 fighters in the world but we can't prove it yet. Father beats the son.

Ninja_Pirate

Reaction score
Country
India
Whitebeard was totally lured in by the marines.. because obviously in the wide open sea it seems impossible for marines to do anything to him... And even when they had their home ground with all walls rising.. 3 Admirals.. WB almost got them...
Garp- Hero of marines... along with sengoku captured Shiki (no 3 admirals and shit) ,,, Have cornered Roger (the pirate king) several times... on his own.. no home ground .. no luring out .. but simply cornered him
As for the Dragon being the most wanted man... he is definitely... But manga pretty much gives a clear indication that he operates from shadows... its like Batman.. robin hood.. for that matter... And pinning down Smoker was no big deal (it was looking big deal the time it happened in Manga) with Haki,,,, With luffy’s speed who knows even if he can pin down smoker for others to make a run ,,, ;)
Voted for Garp..

Kazu-Sama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Huh. Thought it would at least be closer - especially since more of the conversation was in Garp's favour...

Status
Not open for further replies.