Last 16: Match up 6!: Marco vs. Gol D. Roger | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Last 16: Match up 6!: Marco vs. Gol D. Roger

Who wins?

• Marco

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Gol D. Roger

Votes: 38 63.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Last 16: Match up 6!: Marco vs. Gol D. Roger

Kazu-Sama

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've seen literally nothing from Gol, but he was the Pirate King so you can expect him to be pretty strong

Marco is Whitebeard's first captain, able to go toe-to-toe with admirals, and he's a phoenix. That's right - you know the immortal creature in mythology, that could never die? Marco is one.

Honestly, I'm voting Marco as I dislike voting people we haven't seen, and besides, how can Gol D. Roger kill someone that can never die?

0Xellos

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
^
I think Marco can only regenerate limited amount of damage. No DF is perfect, that's the main rule.

Hm, Marco tells Roger about Luffy and Roger retires from the tournament? Or Marco retires because he finds it pointless to fight his dad's rival? I find it hard to imagine a battle between those 2.
So, I can only hope my choice will be a troll.

Mr. Arashi

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Roger was equally with young Edward. This young Edward rapes all his commanders. nuff said.

Leonsagara

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to have to go with Roger here. Don't really like voting based on reputation, but Roger would probably win.

mattiaildivino

九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Italy
roger defeated WB,i'm sorry for marco,but ace's father should own him,according to the legend he wields...

Cyrs

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
Marco couldn't beat Kizaru, no way could he beat the Pirate King.

Kazu-Sama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Marco couldn't beat Kizaru, no way could he beat the Pirate King.
Playing Devil's Advocate here, but WB didn't beat Kizaru either - Kizaru just shot some lasers through him and stopped the shockwave. Kizaru is a lot stronger than people seem to think...

Sachsenhesse

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dont forget, Roger would have been defeatet by Shiki, if it wasnt for a storm. And Shiki was defeated by Luffy. Can we agree Marco > Luffy?

Tournamentlogic it works in every direction.

SuperPeon

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Jolly Roger could have been defeated by Shiki's crew? Nah, I don't think so... Some of us could agree that Marco > Luffy but could you guys agree the Garp > Marco? Garp have been chasing Roger all the time but never caught him until he gave up because of the incurable sickness Roger got.

My vote goes to Gol D. Roger.

UnknownMugiwara

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Denmark
A > B and B > C doesn't make A > C, I just have to throw this out here.

We haven't seen Roger do anything and we don't even know how he defeated Garp, WB and so on. It could be like the way Shiki got defeated, even tho' it's unlikely, but we still don't know.
Personally I don't think Roger should have been in the Tournament from the start, he wins on his reputation and it may be with good reason, but we don't have anything as a ground.

Kazu-Sama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A > B and B > C doesn't make A > C, I just have to throw this out here.

We haven't seen Roger do anything and we don't even know how he defeated Garp, WB and so on. It could be like the way Shiki got defeated, even tho' it's unlikely, but we still don't know.
Personally I don't think Roger should have been in the Tournament from the start, he wins on his reputation and it may be with good reason, but we don't have anything as a ground.

This sums up perfectly why I voted for Marco. Luffy beat Enel not by strength, but by luck. Rubber > Electricity, and were Luffy to have any other fruit but the same strength he would have lost badly and died. Even in this tournament, Buggy beat Killer not by strength (It's buggy, seriously) but because his fruit is such a good counter. Luffy seems to be a lot like Roger when he was younger, and a lot of Luffy's matches have been either won or majorly affected by outside circumstances. We have no way of knowing if Roger was the same.

jaymizzo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Luck can be trumped by being heavily outskilled. I believe Roger was WBs equal if not superior (even by a small bit) which should already put him in a greater league than Marco, that and when you think about it, even though Enel was rendered useless against Luffy because of Rubber, he still managed to give him a hell of a fight. If Rayleigh and WB are anything to go by, i have a hard time seeing how Marco could beat Roger.

Though thats if a real fight between them was to happen. In this case we have to go by feats and we have seen more of Marco than Roger... So Marco should IMO win

SuperPeon

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
This sums up perfectly why I voted for Marco. Luffy beat Enel not by strength, but by luck. Rubber > Electricity, and were Luffy to have any other fruit but the same strength he would have lost badly and died. Even in this tournament, Buggy beat Killer not by strength (It's buggy, seriously) but because his fruit is such a good counter. Luffy seems to be a lot like Roger when he was younger, and a lot of Luffy's matches have been either won or majorly affected by outside circumstances. We have no way of knowing if Roger was the same.
Well, I don't want to waste Roger here. He had a long road too then suddenly lose because he didn't show anything. But isn't it fun to sometimes use imagination on how Roger could fight? Roger being equal against WB and they even fought several times but this was unseen. Here's some more of your A > B> C. Roger = Whitebeard. Whitebeard > Akainu > Marco. Mehehehe.

If the filler would count here, then we can say that Roger is a swordsman and that would differ from Luffy. We can also imagine that Roger has the Ancient Weapon which is something everyone wants and we could say that this is very powerful. Wealth? Fame? Power? Gol D Roger has 'em all! :)

Josear XIII

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
i feel sad for marco, he was awesome, to get to this point..... Thanks marco for just being cool enough

Sir Amigo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Going with Marco. At this point, it is unfair because Roger wins every fight, regardless of his opponent, unless user recognize that the sense of this tornament is completely pointless if he pawns everyone with his title.

astute_azure

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
It's all senseless, after all. Why would Roger be Pirate King if he is not strong/the strongest? In a 1 v 1 fight, this would be expected. Roger all the way.

Sir Amigo

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Man arguing like this is pointless. Lets compare one piece with football (soccer, how it is logically called in america, foot and ball = soccer)
Have you ever seen Pele in a match? I suggest no. You only heard of him that he is the best player of all time. Now you got someone like Messi or Christiano Ronaldo. Someone like Ronaldo or Zidane.. They all won every title you could win in the world.. Okay, except of C.Ronaldo and Messi. So now, does this make them weaker than Ronaldo, Zidane, Pele or Maradonna? HELL NO!
Only because Pele and Maradonna were once the best strikers in the world, they arent automatically better than Messi or C.Ronaldo. I even think that Messi and Ronaldo surpassed them. Same goes for Roger. He was once the pirate king, but nowadays, there are pirates who surpassed him. And Marco is WBs right hand, and deserves to get the chance to advance to the next round against a relict of an old era!
And unless like Pele or Maradonna, we havent seen anything of Roger, earning his title... Be fair and give Marco the chance, I appeal to your sanity!

Kazu-Sama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Man arguing like this is pointless. Lets compare one piece with football (soccer, how it is logically called in america, foot and ball = soccer)
Have you ever seen Pele in a match? I suggest no. You only heard of him that he is the best player of all time. Now you got someone like Messi or Christiano Ronaldo. Someone like Ronaldo or Zidane.. They all won every title you could win in the world.. Okay, except of C.Ronaldo and Messi. So now, does this make them weaker than Ronaldo, Zidane, Pele or Maradonna? HELL NO!
Only because Pele and Maradonna were once the best strikers in the world, they arent automatically better than Messi or C.Ronaldo. I even think that Messi and Ronaldo surpassed them. Same goes for Roger. He was once the pirate king, but nowadays, there are pirates who surpassed him. And Marco is WBs right hand, and deserves to get the chance to advance to the next round against a relict of an old era!
And unless like Pele or Maradonna, we havent seen anything of Roger, earning his title... Be fair and give Marco the chance, I appeal to your sanity!
I think the point is brilliant, well thought out, and well described. Only problem is, as a massive football follower (and yes, I do mean the football that is more than 17 minutes of action) I have seen Pele play. I'd say Diego Marradona - hand of god aside - was a truly sensational footballer, but Messi I'd rate as better than Pele. Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't strike me as an incredible footballer, he's far far too arrogant and is convinced he's flawless.

Ronaldo and Zidane were both great footballers, but had the benefit of a brilliant team to play with. Think of Real Madrid's team at that point - Casillas, Salagdo, Helguera, Samuel, Roberto Carlos, Beckham, Guti, Figo, Raul... All of them are legends in their own right. Gol D. Roger had crewmembers like Shanks, Buggy (who despite what people say, is an incredible leader) and freaking Rayleigh. Gol didn't do it alone.,,

Last edited:

SuperPeon

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Nah, you just want to vote Marco because you want to. You don't want to vote Roger because you don't know enough of him. Yes, Marco is good but I don't think he don't deserve it yet. :) And no, I don't know those silly soccer players. Since I only understood a bit, let's switch it to music. Nowadays, we like Pop because it's what we always hear but the old generation would prefer Rock because they knew how awesome it was. Therefore, we could say that Roger = Rock, Marco=Pop because of it's awesomeness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.