Round of 16 - Laxus vs. Hakune | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Round of 16 Laxus vs. Hakune

Who wins?

• Laxus Dreyar

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • Hakune

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jko

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Laxus wins while laughing. The Acno Blitzer :pogchamp. Hakune won't know what hit her. I know @Jko will get a heart attack but it's the truth.
This what it looks like to live rent free in someone's head lol.

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Still to this day, i will never understand how people consider Laxus trying to tag Acno behind the back while Acno is fighting people at the front a blitz, and even then Acno saw him coming and blocked him. I remember having a fun argument with @GL_Nova about this back in the day, but im still not convinced lol

Orphan Prince

Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Still to this day, i will never understand how people consider Laxus trying to tag Acno behind the back while Acno is fighting people at the front a blitz, and even then Acno saw him coming and blocked him. I remember having a fun argument with @GL_Nova about this back in the day, but im still not convinced lol
I don't get it either, especially when Laxus never blitz'd him, Acno blocked or straight up no sold, as we can see with Jellal. he allows people to hit him, Acnologia then slammed him into the ground, and it seems like Acnologia was perfectly aware that Laxus was behind him, and it amused him.

He looked over, grinned at Laxus and reacted accordingly, it would have been a blitz if Laxus hit Acnologia and Acno couldn't respond or react in time and was struck.

Last edited:

GL_Nova

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Laxus blinks. Literally. She get that Wahl treatment and cannot tank not convert it. Bye bye
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Unfortunately, with the current feats that we have, I just don't see how Laxus will be able to counter Hakune's MP freezing ability.

The manga already showed that Hakune indeed has the capability to freeze "any magic power that cannot even be seen". The only known counter to this ability is to somehow halve her freezing spirit art, which we have no proof of Laxus being able to do.

Considering that Hakune can use this technique almost instantaneously, I don't think that Laxus will even get a chance to reach his full power.

While Laxus has a formidable track record in terms of performance, I will be voting for Hakune - who I believe is the deserving winner of this round.

Who's stronger or more powerful? Laxus.

Who wins by the nature of this tournament? Hakune.
Ok, let me respond to this first one so we can settle this flawed ass logic. The act of powering up doesn’t activate Hakune’s skill and it’s not an automatic response attack. So it’s not an automatic win, or win condition. It’s a broken spell, but still a spell. She has to activate it, and that means it’s a battle of speed. Point to one thing that suggests she’s capable of beating him in speed. Laxus opens his fights with the same overpowering lightning strike time and again. Why would this be different? What suggests she can survive this attack?

Second point. If Grey switching from
ice make magic, to Demon power is enough to thwart her. Why wouldn’t Laxus switching from regular lightning to DS lightning? Or switching from DS to RLM? It meets the criteria of changing his magic, not even Wahl with his computer brain could analyze the new lightning.

All of that being said, you’re assuming she survives his opening salvo, why?
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I don't get it either, especially when Laxus never blitz'd him, Acno blocked or straight up no sold, as we can see with Jellal. he allows people to hit him, Acnologia then slammed him into the ground, and it seems like Acnologia was perfectly aware that Laxus was behind him, and it amused him.

He looked over, grinned at Laxus and reacted accordingly, it would have been a blitz if Laxus hit Acnologia and Acno couldn't respond or react in time and was struck.
You see those Speed lines right? How he wasn’t there before? He was able to get inside Acno’s range and land a blow unlike the rest of the slayers. Acno’s response looks good on him, not bad on Laxus lol.

Orphan Prince

Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
You see those Speed lines right? How he wasn’t there before? He was able to get inside Acno’s range and land a blow unlike the rest of the slayers. Acno’s response looks good on him, not bad on Laxus lol.
I'm not saying that Laxus isn't fast, he's certainly fast, but not faster than any version of Acnologia.

He was able to get into Acno's range when Acno hit Gajeel, Acnologia then smirked when Laxus was behind him, he knew he was there, and he blocked or allowed Laxus to hit him, thus, Laxus did not blitz Acno. If he had blitz'd Acno, Acno wouldn't be able to respond to his speed and would be shocked not amused.

Tirl

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

The point is Acno didn't see nor react to Laxus. Laxus attacked him, and only then Acno noticed him.

Orphan Prince

Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
The point is Acno didn't see nor react to Laxus. Laxus attacked him, and only then Acno noticed him.
Even if Acnologia didn't notice him, that doesn't mean anything because he was focusing on Gajeel at the time, he views them all as insignificant vermin, so not only is he not taking then seriously, but he is also toying with them.

And, like I said, Acnologia likely knew Laxus was behind him, he smirked when Laxus was behind him, he was amused, if Laxus was truly fast enough to blitz him then Acno would have been surprised and would have praised him for his speed.

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Only the strongest chosen ones can "blitz" the big bad behind the back while hes fighting 6 others at the front :o

Orphan Prince

Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Only the strongest chosen ones can "blitz" the big bad behind the back while hes fighting 6 others at the front :o
Exactly, it's easier to get behind someone when he's fighting more than one person, get behind him when he's focusing on someone or something else.

Hexbend

Reaction score
Country
United States
Remember people Jellal is the only character to truly blitz Acno in a frontal situation :datass

Anyways on the actual matchup, the characters aren't acting their usual selves due to rules. So Hakune shouldn't be playing around like she likes to do

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Is Red Lightning Mode a change in MP type, just like Gray's Devil Slaying powers? Or is Red Lightning just a DS ability where Lax power up and goes beyond the usual lightning? Kinda like when Natsu goes FDK Mode. That is a question im kinda more intrigued right now.

Orphan Prince

Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Is Red Lightning Mode a change in MP type, just like Gray's Devil Slaying powers? Or is Red Lightning just a DS ability where Lax power up and goes beyond the usual lightning? Kinda like when Natsu goes FDK Mode. That is a question im kinda more intrigued right now.
I don't think it's a change in MP type, I think it's just a Dragon Slayer mode, similar to Natsu's Fire Dragon King Mode, it's just a stronger version of his regular lightning, he described it as "Lightning that surpasses lightning,"

GL_Nova

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think it's a change in MP type, I think it's just a Dragon Slayer mode, similar to Natsu's Fire Dragon King Mode, it's just a stronger version of his regular lightning, he described it as "Lightning that surpasses lightning,"
If it was just stronger lightning why would it work on Wahl? DS lightning is already just a stronger lightning.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, nobody has explained how Hakune survives that opening Nuke.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, it's different enough from regular lightning that Wall's ability to absorb lightning is negated.

But now that I think about it....Wouldn't changing between regular lightning and dragon slaying lightning effectively achieve the same thing Gray did? I keep forgetting Laxus has lightning magic outside of DS.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, let me respond to this first one so we can settle this flawed ass logic. The act of powering up doesn’t activate Hakune’s skill and it’s not an automatic response attack. So it’s not an automatic win, or win condition. It’s a broken spell, but still a spell. She has to activate it, and that means it’s a battle of speed. Point to one thing that suggests she’s capable of beating him in speed. Laxus opens his fights with the same overpowering lightning strike time and again. Why would this be different? What suggests she can survive this attack?

Who says Hakune even needs to power up at all? Why would she even waste time doing that?

She can cast the spell in her base form, almost near-instantaneously.

As for Laxus, he is going to need to use an actual named attack to take her down, which has an even longer casting time than her MP freezing ability.

Any simple lightning bolt from the sky can be frozen over, given that Hakune's chill is enough to even freeze over a wizard who arguably has one of the best ice resistance in the manga.

And Laxus doesn't even have any ice resistance himself, so he's even more susceptible to the freezing effects than Gray was.

You have to remember, Hakune's freezing spirit art isn't just all about hax. Her freezing spell is colder than top-tier ice resistance.

Second point. If Grey switching from
ice make magic, to Demon power is enough to thwart her. Why wouldn’t Laxus switching from regular lightning to DS lightning? Or switching from DS to RLM? It meets the criteria of changing his magic, not even Wahl with his computer brain could analyze the new lightning.

Where is the proof that Laxus switching from regular lightning to DS lightning or RLM would be able to halve Hakune's freezing spirit art?

Natsu has access to his Lightning Fire Dragon (LFD) spells, so if changing to another mode/element was an option all along, then it would've already been done. But clearly, that's not the case.

In fact, Natsu wasn't even able to combine fire & lightning because he couldn't even tap into his flames to begin...

So if Natsu couldn't accomplish this feat (and Laxus will start out in base form just like Natsu in this battle), then that makes all of your assumptions highly unreasonable.

In terms of speed, it's faster to freeze someone's MP (what they already have in their body) than for someone to actively change their magic element from one form to another.

All of that being said, you’re assuming she survives his opening salvo, why?

I'm not even assuming that she has to tank his opening shot.

If his opening shot is an actual named spell, it's already automatically slower than Hakune's MP freezing technique.

If it's a basic or unnamed spell, it has the capacity to be frozen over immediately considering Hakune can freeze over a person or object that has tremendous ice resistance.

Last edited:

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Where is the proof that Laxus switching from regular lightning to DS lightning or RLM would be able to halve Hakune's freezing spirit art?

Natsu has access to his Lightning Fire Dragon (LFD) spells, so if changing to another mode/element was an option all along, then it would've already been done. But clearly, that's not the case.

In fact, Natsu wasn't even able to combine fire & lightning because he couldn't even tap into his flames to begin...
It's the exact same thing as Gray switching from ice-make to devil slaying magic.

Natsu didn't think of switching up his magic. And neither did Gray back then. Doesn't mean they can't do it. It just means they didn't think of it.

Sevently

Reaction score
Country
France
don't disrespect laxus, he murder her.

GL_Nova

Reaction score
Country
United States
Who says Hakune even needs to power up at all? Why would she even waste time doing that?

She can cast the spell in her base form, almost near-instantaneously.

As for Laxus, he is going to need to use an actual named attack to take her down, which has an even longer casting time than her MP freezing ability.

Any simple lightning bolt from the sky can be frozen over, given that Hakune's chill is enough to even freeze over a wizard who arguably has one of the best ice resistance in the manga.

And Laxus doesn't even have any ice resistance himself, so he's even more susceptible to the freezing effects than Gray was.

You have to remember, Hakune's freezing spirit art isn't just all about hax. Her freezing spell is colder than top-tier ice resistance.

So if Natsu couldn't accomplish this feat (and Laxus will start out in base form just like Natsu in this battle), then that makes all of your assumptions highly unreasonable.

In terms of speed, it's faster to freeze someone's MP (what they already have in their body) than for someone to actively change their magic element from one form to another.

I'm not even assuming that she has to tank his opening shot.

If his opening shot is an actual named spell, it's already automatically slower than Hakune's MP freezing technique.

If it's a basic or unnamed spell, it has the capacity to be frozen over immediately considering Hakune can freeze over a person or object that has tremendous ice resistance.

Re-read for clarification. I’m not saying that it requires her to power up. I’m saying that since it’s not a secondary function of her powering up, or of her magical aura simply being, but instead an actual spell that needs to cast. It turns this into a speed bout and Hakune doesn’t have the necessary feats to even suggest that she would be able to best Laxus in speed. Nor survive a direct lightning strike from him.

Why would he need a named attack to beat her? What about her performance suggests she can survive any of his attacks? She hasn’t tanked any massive spells has she? In fact she made a point of freezing all the attacks before they reached her, and went down to the first spell that did. What feat suggests she’s fast enough to freeze a lightning bolt?

You mean the same way he shrugged off Tempests heat or Atlas Flames without having elemental resistance? Laxus has shown great magical resistance, able to outright ignore or shrug off everything from status effects to illusions. Also, why would Laxus stand there and get frozen? This is a battle. An that doesn’t match his regular laid back approach. This Laxus is here to win.

If she gets the drop. Without that first attack advantage, there’s nothing to suggest that it wouldn’t. An you can’t use Natsu as an example because Grey was unable to recover from being caught off guard either. Nothing suggests that anything is necessary other than changing the type of magic. These are 2 seperate changes Laxus has available to him at all time’s. If you have definitive proof beyond some assumed NLF, please let me know. Cause it seems the rest of your rebuttal hinges on using her 1 encounter with Natsu for hype purposes to argue he couldn’t have accomplished the same thing later with his multiple modes. Now, had he thrown in a line about Grey being unique because mixing curse and magic you’d have a point, but that’s just fan speculation.

An that makes sense. If I purposefully ignore years of writing for Laxus in favor of the only scenario that proves this new character usless, then I can easily
Assume this one time Laxus won’t start the fight with an overwhelming offensive hoping to put his opponent down. To allow her time to try and freeze his magic.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's the exact same thing as Gray switching from ice-make to devil slaying magic.

Natsu didn't think of switching up his magic. And neither did Gray back then. Doesn't mean they can't do it. It just means they didn't think of it.

It was never explicitly stated that Gray switching from ice-make to DeS was the reason that Hakune's freezing spirit art was halved. To extrapolate that mechanism in terms of Laxus' DS/RLM lightning is speculative at best.

However, we know for a fact that Natsu couldn't even access his flames because his MP was frozen.

And you can't switch up something that isn't even accessible. If Natsu couldn't produce his own flames, how will he be able to combine both fire and lightning or even be able to activate it?

Status
Not open for further replies.