Least Favorite Arc/Storyline | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Least Favorite Arc/Storyline

Least Favorite Arc/Storyline...?

• Fishman Island

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Davy Back Fight

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • Baratie

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Skypeia

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Kuro

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Thriller Bark

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
Welcome to the results of
Least Favorite Arc/Storyline

3rd place tied with 5 votes each: Kuro and Thriller Bark

2nd place with 14 votes: Fishman Island

1st place with the majority of 27 votes: Davy Back Fight

5. Skypia
6. Baratie

Fishman Island (7)
Davy Back Fight (4)
Baratie (1)
Skypeia (2)
Kuro (1)
Thriller Bark (1)

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackHair

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Fishman Island Arc - A disappointing arc. I don't want to write more than this.. Just this, this arc forced me to go hiatus and even hate OP for couple of weeks.

rymy0630

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fishman Island Arc - A disappointing arc. I don't want to write more than this.. Just this, this arc forced me to go hiatus and even hate OP for couple of weeks.
I second that nomination.

Freid

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Davy back fight Arc. I wish I could erase it from my memory.

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Fishman Island Arc.

I would go with it even though I see Davy Back Fight as a waste Arc, but this Arc... it's just a scum Arc, because of Hodi and his New Fishman Pirates who were total scum and their reason for killing humans and their own fellow Fishmen and Mermen was despicable.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
This is a tough one. Davy Back Arc was up until recently my least favorite arc, without a doubt. It was irritating and felt like it served the story very little. In short, it felt like a filler arc. But still, it made me laugh a couple of times, I was still somewhat engaged and cared about what happened, and as a filler arc it'd be okay. And since I watched the anime up to the CP9 arc before I started reading the manga, I thought it was filler the first time I watched it. Thus, I thought it was okay. Yeah, it barely moves the story forward at all until the arc is basically over (Aokiji shows up), which is annoying since the arc before that, Skypiea, didn't do that very much either. But at least Skypiea was good, while DB was meh.

Then there's Fishman Island... Dear shit, was I disappointed in this arc. After all that build-up, all those years, the first thing we see post time-skip, it'll be magnificent, it'll be epic, it'll be all that good shit!!!

Nope.

It introduces some of the most forgettable characters ever, probably the worst villain so far in One Piece, and a really dull plot... This arc had me so uninterested, a couple of weeks could pass before I remembered I hadn't read the manga in a while. That's never happened before. Halfway through, I just didn't care how Oda ended the arc. I just wanted it to be over, move on to the next arc an amaze me again damnit!!!

And he did, even before leaving the island. Because Big Mom and her subordinates were instantly interesting, the way One Piece characters should be. Luffy challenging her was way more exciting than the entire FI arc before that combined.

So in summary:

Fishman Island fails miserably in living up to the hype that it's gotten since the friggin' East Blue Saga as well as following the timeskip, but it does move the story forward. In the dullest, most dragging way possible. Hodi Jones is a terrible villain with no motivation for being evil. The plot of the arc is boring and unengaging. Seriously, I don't give a crap what happens, just let the damn Straw Hats carry on with their journey. The ending with Big Mom and all saves it a little, but I can barely call that part of the arcs plot.. In my head, it's not even part of the same arc.

Davy Back arc fails miserably in following up Skypiea, it doesn't move the story forward, it makes me frustrated and irritated but at least it makes me feel something. You're supposed to be annoyed with Foxy and the fact that Luffy doesn't have an easy time beating him up. It succeeds in that, and it also has a couple of really funny moments. And in the end, I was way more excited in the fight between Luffy and Foxy than in the fight between the Straw Hats and Fishman Pirates.

Hell, now that I've written all this, it's not a tough one at all. I support the nomination for Fishman Island arc, without a doubt.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I already announce that this thread will be my favourite to read in the coming few weeks :D.
Davy Back Fight was only a small little arc. It was IMO funny & not too long. Sure, the villain was annoying & I can easily understand a nomination for this arc ... but ... I support the nomination for Fishman Island arc,

Fishman Island:
- Hodi is one of the worst serious villains I have seen. Foxy, Mad Wanze & Wapol were used as comic relief. So, I wasn't bothered that much by them. But Hodi & all NFP pirates were ridiculous. VDD was a little more interesting but he was trash too.
- Way too long. This arc was supposed to be a transition
- The flashback concerning Fisher Tiger ... well, Luffy himself fell asleep :). Fisher Tiger deserved an other ending than that.
- Sanji nosebleed which becomes part of the story ? Seriously ?
- Some kind of weird Jewish/Nazi thema.

Xadyu

Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
I second this nomination.

shukketsumaru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I nominate the Baratie arc. The only thing good about it is that it leads to the Arlong arc.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium

GiantAlienHamster

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Davy back was the worst. But I'll also nominate Skypia

Blanka

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Skypeia

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
will fishman island succeed in beating Davy Back Fight ! That would be quite an accomplishment.
Well for me the weakest arc is Usopp introduction one. Although I love Usopp, the villain Kuro is not interesting be it in motivation or hability, Usopp has just a one page flashback. It's one of the rare part I don't want to reread or watch again so I nominate Kuro Arc

Poneglyph420

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Davy Back fight by far the least useful arc in the story.... Fully supported.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
This, minus the last sentence.

mattiaildivino

九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Italy
the worst was thriller bark! I couldn't stand it and its setting,also the story was bad there

NarutoNamikaze

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
without kuma´s appearance, zoro´s sacrifice and the comedic relief i would have agreed on thriller bark. the setting was boring and out of place in the op world, the opponents beside ryuuma were more like a gag than serious fighters( perona, absalom, zombies etc.) and everything about the arc villain, be it his personality, his design or his strength especially as a Shichibukai, were really disappointing, but in the end i have to second davy back fight because it was just pointless.

matzik1212

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Even though FI arc was a little disappointing i think it isn't worst than Davy Back one . So i will vote Davy Back