News - Let's predict: NYCC licenses | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

News Let's predict: NYCC licenses

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so it approaches, and we have to wonder what wonders will be licensed over the new york comic con. so predict away out of a need to make a new topic live!

my only thoughts are on Viz media, who i'm expecting (hoping) will confirm licenses for

Love Trouble (To Love-ru), what with black cat ending this year

Mx0, what with pretty face already being over

Hatsukoi Limited/Lilim Kiss... actually hold that thought, i think strawberry 100% is far off of completion in the US

Bakuman (oh c'mon that one's obvious)

Toriko (latest jump hit, it's feasible for serialisation... VERY UNLIKELY though between this and that)

Cat Street (Yoko Kamio has been a good seller for them with hana yori dango, so this would make sense till matsuri special is long enough to bother with)

Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro (a man can dream that they'd bother)

Embalming (serialisation perhaps... ahahahaha who am i kidding)

so thoughts?

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
-Most Likely: To-Love, Bakuman
-Possibly: Mx0, Neuro, Sket
-Unknown but should: Neuro (:p), something from Sunday other than Bakegyamon. (Kenichi, ZKC, even something like KamiSekai, Hyde & Closer or something)

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
VIZ:

Boku no Hatsukoi wo Kimi ni Sasagu, Liar Game, Cat Street, Neuro, Hoshi wa Utau, Elfen Lied

Del Ray:

Bloody Monday, Vinland Saga, Monster Hunter Orage (probably to soon), Minami - ke

I'm overestimating the number of titles VIZ plans on releasing. I'm overestimating the good taste of the people at Del Ray. They'll probably license crap series from Shonen Sirius and second rate shojo.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
considering fairy tails early strong sales in the us i wouldnt be surprised if something like that short coupla volumes about plue surfaces in their license list

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
That's assuming any one in their licensing department knows what their doing ^^

Considering they've barely licensed anything from Shonen Magazine yet happily scooped up Dragon Eyes and My Heavenly Hockey Club, I never expect the best from Del Ray.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
That's assuming any one in their licensing department knows what their doing ^^

Considering they've barely licensed anything from Shonen Magazine yet happily scooped up Dragon Eyes and My Heavenly Hockey Club, I never expect the best from Del Ray.
Unfortunately shoujo sells here...and shonen not as much without a built-in audience from the start. (that's why we haven't had any decent Jump licenses in a while and the only Sunday series we've gotten are the manga version of Bakegyamon and Yen getting Darren Shan which has a built in audience) Heck, I can't believe Del Rey took forever to finally get Zetsubou out in this country...

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Unfortunately shoujo sells here...and shonen not as much without a built-in audience from the start. (that's why we haven't had any decent Jump licenses in a while and the only Sunday series we've gotten are the manga version of Bakegyamon and Yen getting Darren Shan which has a built in audience) Heck, I can't believe Del Rey took forever to finally get Zetsubou out in this country...
Yeah Zetsubou finally comes out later this month. Del Ray's problem is their shojo don't sell. Shugo Chara is the only popular one I can think of. Kodansha's selection of shojo just isn't that good in the first place. Shueisha and Shogakukan have much better lines. And unlike Del Ray, VIZ has a close relationship with Hakusensha and thus access to HanaYume comics. Kodansha has the best seinen IMO (1st Day) but Del Ray won't market that as aggressively as VIZ. Even Yen has found a nice niche licensing Square/Enix titles. That Zetsubou took five years to make it here hardly surprises me. Unless it's by an established mangaka (Fairy Tail, Negima) they seem hesitant to license it.

VIZ licenses announced. Still no Neuro, or any Jump Comics. Lots of seinen coming, all from the Shogakukan side. Nice to see more Inio coming, What a Wonderful World is an amazing series. As it is also two volumes I hope they treat it the same way as Solanin, a single bunko volume with some of the colored pages restored. I'm also looking forward to Natsume Yujin - cho.

As predicted Del Ray adds nothing of consequence. Yen will put out Yotsuba&! volume six, but their license doesn't extend beyond that. Still, more Yotsuba is always welcome!

Last edited:

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Still no Neuro, or any Jump Comics.
YGO R is the only real Jump addition...but that's from V-Jump...and more YGO.

And of course, nothing from Magazine, nothing from Sunday...and more shoujo. :notrust

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I don't mind more shojo, it's mostly good shojo. I always forget YGO is (U.S.) Shonen Jump. I just ...... don't care about that series. There is something from Sunday, I didn't post it here but Takahashi's new series is already licensed. Hardly counts though :/ I do wonder why the quick response there, but not to Bakuman. Slap "by the author and artist of Death Note" on it and someone will buy it. I'd have liked to have seen Kenishi or ZKC licensed. Both would do well. Rosario to Vampire has sold well, both series would be popular with fans of that series. No magazine was hardly a surprise; as I said Del Ray's licensing department sucks.

Hopefully VIZ will start bringing over Jump's 2007/2008 survivors. Potentially Bakuman, Toriko, Sket Dance, Psyren, and Mago could all come out that year. I do doubt all will come in one year, but it would be nice.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't mind more shojo, it's mostly good shojo. I always forget YGO is (U.S.) Shonen Jump. I just ...... don't care about that series. There is something from Sunday, I didn't post it here but Takahashi's new series is already licensed. Hardly counts though :/ I do wonder why the quick response there, but not to Bakuman. Slap "by the author and artist of Death Note" on it and someone will buy it. I'd have liked to have seen Kenishi or ZKC licensed. Both would do well. Rosario to Vampire has sold well, both series would be popular with fans of that series. No magazine was hardly a surprise; as I said Del Ray's licensing department sucks.

Hopefully VIZ will start bringing over Jump's 2007/2008 survivors. Potentially Bakuman, Toriko, Sket Dance, Psyren, and Mago could all come out that year. I do doubt all will come in one year, but it would be nice.
1. Sorry for my disgust with shoujo, I just have bad memories with it and really just not that interested in it unless it's a good anime rendition. Heck, I still have bad memories trying to read KareKano with everyone saying that "it was different" from other shoujo manga...how wrong I was.
2. I did comment on "unknown Rumiko Takahashi series" in the Sunday thread...I guess it wasn't mentioned here first.
3. Bakuman seems like a shoo-in if they ever bring it over...but considering that neither Neuro or To-Love have licenses (and they actually are more recent), I really am not that expectant of something like a Sket Dance or a Toriko as of yet. Its like they really don't want to bring out (or rush) the shonen as of lately.
4. I really don't get why they seem so obsessed to avoid Sunday at all costs since that's all they had prior to getting Jump-obsessed. Sure they don't sell as rapidly akin to a Naruto or a Bleach but they are more interesting and still good (saying this while finishing my Ueki collection this week and catching up with Flame of Recca...now I need time to read them) With Kenichi's anime with Funi, I would have expected the manga to follow suit...but it's like they think without the Jump or Shoujo Beat or the "Viz Select" (for something like Urasawa's works) attached, it will be a low seller.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so..... viz are still stupid

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
1. Sorry for my disgust with shoujo, I just have bad memories with it and really just not that interested in it unless it's a good anime rendition. Heck, I still have bad memories trying to read KareKano with everyone saying that "it was different" from other shoujo manga...how wrong I was.
2. I did comment on "unknown Rumiko Takahashi series" in the Sunday thread...I guess it wasn't mentioned here first.
3. Bakuman seems like a shoo-in if they ever bring it over...but considering that neither Neuro or To-Love have licenses (and they actually are more recent), I really am not that expectant of something like a Sket Dance or a Toriko as of yet. Its like they really don't want to bring out (or rush) the shonen as of lately.
4. I really don't get why they seem so obsessed to avoid Sunday at all costs since that's all they had prior to getting Jump-obsessed. Sure they don't sell as rapidly akin to a Naruto or a Bleach but they are more interesting and still good (saying this while finishing my Ueki collection this week and catching up with Flame of Recca...now I need time to read them) With Kenichi's anime with Funi, I would have expected the manga to follow suit...but it's like they think without the Jump or Shoujo Beat or the "Viz Select" (for something like Urasawa's works) attached, it will be a low seller.
Missed the RT comment in the Sunday thread, I thought I had posted it here to.

What's funny about Sunday is VIZ has such close ties with Shogakukan, I believe the head of VIZ and the head of Shogakukan were college buddies. Kenichi seems to be a shoo in for at least moderate popularity. Jump is even weirder; since Muhyo they haven't licensed anything currently serialized in WSJ. Again, 2010 could be the year, with the newer series hitting that two year mark. One of them will be established enough to come here.

As a fan of both shojo and seinen I've found VIZ's emphasis on both genres refreshing. It's nice to see interesting, eclectic titles brought over that might not have been licensed even two years ago. Whomever is choosing the specific titles has excellent taste, aside from avoiding Young Jump. Being able to buy We Were There, Kimi ni Todoke, Black Lagoon, Solanin, Kurosagi, etc. instead of more second tier shonen makes me happy. That's a subjective personal opinion though, I can understand why those with different fandoms wouldn't see things the same. And god help them they better license Neuro soon.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I'm glad Viz decided to ignore shounen for once. Well, almost.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm glad Viz decided to ignore shounen for once. Well, almost.
It's been a while since they licensed much shonen. Four titles this year, unless I've forgotten something. More importantly: there taste in seinen is actually good.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the seinen does please me. i just want more shonen jump... well... good shonen jump

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
What good WSJ is ready for licensing? Neuro and ToRA should come over, anything else is either licensed or a year away. Old series don't seem to do to well unless there by a well known mangaka. I would like to see SQ series come over. VIZ seems to loves Fujisaki and Watsuki, Shiki and Embalming could be the next Shonen Jump series.

Last edited:

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do get some people preference seinen but there are still good shonen out there that could be done by Viz. Just bring over Neuro (and Kenichi for those who like that series...and maybe ZKC cause I may want to try that) and I'll be happy.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
There is good shonen out there but the market was over saturated. Even a year ago that was the only thing getting licensed. There's a lot more variety in book stores now, which has been a lot more fun. It would be nice to see series that there clearly is a market for, like Kenichi or Neuro, licensed.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
There is good shonen out there but the market was over saturated. Even a year ago that was the only thing getting licensed. There's a lot more variety in book stores now, which has been a lot more fun. It would be nice to see series that there clearly is a market for, like Kenichi or Neuro, licensed.
It hasn't really been that saturated as of late. There hardly were any shonen series starting in '08, at least in Viz's line. (though I do agree they did oversaturate with the Jump line...but a lot of it was Naruto) Series have been ending and will continue to end this year and I sort of just wish they would take a chance on a couple more shonen that have emerged aside from stuff that they try to push (Slam Dunk) or know will probably be the next big thing on both sides (Tegami Bachi) or...I have no idea why they did it (NORA). That's sort of why I've been antsy over something like Neuro, which I know can have support if seen in the right way, hasn't been done as of yet.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Nora confused me. Who made that decision? Hard to believe two volumes are already in English. Last year was the year they really cut back, Nora aside their were fewer less known or obscure series like their had been in past years. Now that a number of SQ series have enough volume for licensing, and the new Jump series getting closer, things could change in 2010. Not so sure Sunday will get any help >.<

Now that Yen is starting to license more Gangan series, it would be nice if someone gave Kadokawa Shoten a little more love. Shonen Ace has some amazing series and is virtually untapped. Licensed Deadman Wonderland would be amazing. And I'm still pissed Del Ray continues to ignore ShoMag.