Discussion - Light Novel Recommendations | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Light Novel Recommendations

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I'm fairly new to reading light novels. But I just started reading Overlord and am absolutely loving it.

What other light novels do you think I should check out?

For anyone who doesn't know what I go for, I like action/adventure. Comedy is good. I like some romance as long as it doesn't take itself too seriously. Drama can be good too, but generally I like that better moderation. And I like the single point of view approach over multiple perspective.

Sports and Slice of Life stuff is also typically wasted on me and I hate time travel.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Mahouka :cheez

I recommend you to read Rokka no Yuusha as well, this is one of my favorite right now. With action/adventure, fast-paced and with interesting characters.

Apocalypse Alice is action-packed and DanMachi, which will get an anime next fall is very good too, like a good adventure Shonen.

Mushoku Tensei is adventure/slice of life fantasy web novel which recently got a Light Novel adaptation, the content is mature and it takes a little time to become interesting(it was like this at least to me) but it becomes excellent later, plus all the 22 volumes are translated and it's ongoing.

There must be several animes wwhich you liked which were LNs so you should try to read them too.

There are plenty of stories where the MC is in a RPG-setting like, Re: Monster, Tate no Yuusha, Legendary Moonlight Sculptor etc.

perspherspley

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Ok, I'm fairly new to reading light novels. But I just started reading Overlord and am absolutely loving it.

What other light novels do you think I should check out?

For anyone who doesn't know what I go for, I like action/adventure. Comedy is good. I like some romance as long as it doesn't take itself too seriously. Drama can be good too, but generally I like that better moderation. And I like the single point of view approach over multiple perspective.

Sports and Slice of Life stuff is also typically wasted on me and I hate time travel.
You can try reading Mother of Learning, or The Zombie Knight.
I don't if these two Webnovel can be considered LN, you can give them a try if you have time.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Mushoku Tensei Web Novel is over and the author is planning a sequel, last translations are ongoing. It's very good even though it has a slow start, you should definitely read it, it's one of my favorites right now.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Log Horizon
Accel World (though Kawahara's writing makes the first 50-100 pages of his LNs feel a bit slow)

Mokushiroku Arisu!!!!

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So any recent LNs that is currently popular? It's been months since the last time I follow news about LN, but I am curious if there are any new stuff that I should read.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
So any recent LNs that is currently popular? It's been months since the last time I follow news about LN, but I am curious if there are any new stuff that I should read.
Did you read all the ones recommended on this thread? By recent, do you mean with a few volumes?

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Did you read all the ones recommended on this thread? By recent, do you mean with a few volumes?
Yeah I have read some of them, dropped most of them though. Yeah, preferably.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not really sure how to measure light novel popularity but one thing that's changed in recent months is that Yen Press seems to be finding some success with it's officially released light novels of series your probably familiar with from their anime. Which they've been steadily releasing in recent months.

The ones that stand out to me are...

- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

- The Devil is a Part Timer

- No Game, No Life

Which isn't new exactly, since fan translations had covered most the same early stuff, but it changes things in that those series are going to be getting steady official releases of consistent quality from now on.

They also acquired Mahouka which both sucks and is awesome since it's probably going to the throw a monkey wrench into fan translations in the short term but in the long term is going mean a more polished version of that series to read.

Last edited:

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Which ones?
Log Horizon, Accel World.. I haven't read Mushoku Tensei though.

I am interested in Is It Wrong, since it seems 2ch has been fanboying over it lately.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It is old so I'm almost sure that you already read it, but Spice & Wolf is my utmost recommnedation. I also recommend No Game no Life and, if you like SAO, Sword Art Online Progressive. Even if you don't like SAO, SAOP has its focus in the game more in the romance, therefore it is what everybody who complains was asking for, so you could give it a try.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

I am interested in Is It Wrong, since it seems 2ch has been fanboying over it lately.
They are fanboys of Hestia, not of the light novel actually...

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd certainly recommend it; as it's my second favorite novel behind Mahouka.

It's just a really good character driven RPG inspired story. Probably my second favorite in the genre behind the Gamer manhwa.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
They are fanboys of Hestia, not of the light novel actually...
You must be confusing them with the Western anime only fanbase because the Japanese LN readers are more interested by Bell and Aiz as characters, the LN was very popular before the anime adaptation. Hestia is favored for fanart since the anime adaptation but that's about it.

Log Horizon, Accel World.. I haven't read Mushoku Tensei though.

Read Rokka no Yuusha, it's currently my favorite along with Mahouka and there are not many volumes. Mushoku Tensei is long and kinda slow but the WN translation just ended, it's very, very good.

Last edited:

Thunderheart

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Violet Evergarden

Have any of y'all read the LN or know where I can find an english copy of it? I just finished the anime, and I absolutely loved it. It truly was one of those shows that brought tears to my eyes and pulled at my heartstrings. I know it was based off of a LN, so that is why I thought I'd ask.

Have any of y'all seen the show/read the book and liked it? If not, I highly recommend it!

Last edited by a moderator: