LoneLobo's Hunter X Hunter Review: Chapter 311 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

LoneLobo's Hunter X Hunter Review: Chapter 311

LoneLobo

Reviewer
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
A LoneLobo Review

Hi guys! Some of you may know me, for those of you who don't: I usually do reviews in the One Piece section, but for a while I have craved to do a review for HxH. Well, if it weren't for that stupid hiatus... anyway, finally a new chapter. So, here it is. Welcome to a LoneLobo Review!

Chapter 311: Time Limit

The End is Near

The chapter begins with a very nice color spread which does not use that much color. The title is time limit and the text says "The End is Beyond the Mountain of Corpses and the River of Blood". Well, that is kind of poetic. But it also indicates the ending of this whole arc (or even the whole series?) is not that far away. The picture itself shows us two Royal Guards, Netero (may he rest in piece) in the middle and a rose at the top. So, the chapter will probably be about the effect of the rose bomb. Oh, and there are skulls. Beautiful.

Palm Talks

The chapter itself starts where we left off last week last year. Palm explains to Ikalgo what Killua told her "off-screen": his thoughts about Komugi. We, of course, know this already, but it is fun to see the characters discuss this whole thing. And Palm looks nicely drawn IMO. She explains to Ikalgo that for the same reason two totally different actions are possible: Kill Komugi or protect her, but both because of loyalty towards the king. Ikalgo has a hard time accepting this, but he aggrees. Palm then says that they were not attacked by the king after he used his En. And that Komugi was covered by her hair at that time. Let's jump to chapter 309: "and a person carrying something". Palm is right.

Conclusion: Hide Komugi, cover her up and wait a certain time. But, how long? "Until the King has died". Nice picture of Palm btw. Anyway, I was surprised at this as well and so is Ikalgo. Palm explains it further and states that the king will die in a few hours. This double spread shows us again the rose, the king and a skull. And that all very nicely drawn. The next double spread shows a huge warehouse which looks nicely drawn as well. They put Komugi into a coffin and then the chapter changes its focus.

Be All my Sins Remember'd

With the words that we are even worse than humans the chapter turns into a critique of today's society and a lot more. First phase: Airships dropping bombs (The War in Libya?), starving and skinny people in front of destroyed homes, people getting shot on the street. Second Phase: industrial meat production, mutated fish, people on the cross and a mutated hand. Third Phase: Huge skyscrapers, but begging children and violence of the police/state. Fourth: Fashion shows, jewelry, cars, but on the contrast people sitting on the streets in front of this. I really liked this part, showing us the evil in our world which we create ourselves. This is something most shounen would not dare to show.

After this we finally get an explanation to why the king will die. "The Rose held Poison". This can be nicely described as being nuclear radiation. The shape of the rose itself is similar to the explosion of a nuclear bomb, and the poison is probably the emitted radiation. And then we see the results of this deadly radiation: Pufu spitting blood.

Conclusion and Predictions

This week's chapter was a bit disappointing. But only a bit. It felt stretched and contained, for my taste, too less information. But it was also a nice way to introduce us back into the whole story. The poison of the rose is a nice way though. The king will probably die because of this, which is very convenient. First, there will be no final battle between the King and some random person (Ging or whoever) where the king will lose. Togashi avoided a deus ex machina that way. Second, it is a rather intelligent way to kill the king. Third, it gives us a time frame, so that Komugi can play with the king again and lose to him in the moment before he dies. I think that is kinda likely. Fourth, Netero was in the end able to kill the king, making his sacrifice not meaningless.

Hopefully next week we will see what Pufu's reaction is and maybe we will jump to Gon and Killua. And maybe it will be a bit better review than this week. And had some problems because not much happened... anyway, I hope that you were able to enjoy it. =)

LoneLobo

Credits: All chapter 311 pictures taken from mangazone.net.

Last edited:

LoneLobo

Reviewer
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Please register to see the content of this post.