LoneLobo's Hunter X Hunter Review: Chapter 319-320 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

LoneLobo's Hunter X Hunter Review: Chapter 319-320

LoneLobo

Reviewer
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
A LoneLobo Review
Hi guys! I had so much planned to review this past weeks. But bad things happen: I was ill. I was on vacation. I was ill again. Sometimes life sucks, except for the vacation. That was awesome. Anyway, I finally got around to start reviewing again. So, here it is. Welcome to a LoneLobo Review!

Chapter 319: Ballot
&
Chapter 320: Voting

The chapter begins with no cover page at all, but an explanation about the "Zodiac Twelve". Twelve hunters, selected by their ability, who were trusted by Netero and run the place in his stead right now. On the next page we meet these twelve hunters and man, they do look like the typical strange hunters. The only people who look kinda normal are the bunny girl and Ging. This makes sense, because these twelve were that loyal to Netero that they even changed their appearance and personality to fit the animal associated with them. But, wait. Ging? OMFG IT IS GING. It has been so many chapters since we last saw him, and right now we finally get to see him for more than just a page. Awesome. Then the last Zodiac, Mouse, appears and he looks... kinda normal. He looks like a jerk to me. And he is the Vice Chairman. And then he says he wants to be Chairman. That was rather quick. Everyone except Ging, who is so cool that he just continues to sit there, stand up. Obviously, they all hate that guy and have no problem to show that. Geru, the Snake, even uses her Snake ability. Never would've guessed that, right?

However, Mouse argues that these eleven people are in fact just eleven people with eleven votes. He thinks he understands the problems of the weak man, meaning a normal hunter. Ox throws in the number of 18, which is the total of Hunters missing in action in the last three years. Which is according to him even worse than dying. Okay, I kinda understand that. OMFG GING TALKS AGAIN. He says he will do the job of the chairman, but even the rest does not want him to do it. Ging and Mouse talk after that, giving us the information that Ging knows about Gon, does not went to see him, but in fact totally believes in his son he has not seen since the time Gon was an infant. Does this make sense? No. Does this make sense in a shounen manga? Hell yeah.

The conclusion is: everyone writes his or her idea down on how to find the next chairman. Mr. Beans (and the name really fits) is called and draws... the idea of Ging. Rule 1: Every Hunter is a candidate and a voter. Rule 2: No majority vote, it is cut into half and done again. Rule 3: 95% Voting Rate. Rule 4: Voters must write their name on the paper. Rule 5: Ging is the chairman of the election. The others are against rule five and he drops it, but Mr. Beans gives us even more information in a flashback:
Ging was actually there two days before and had a talk with Beans. He predicted a draw would be the outcome and gives Beans a paper with the election rules. Ging wants Beans to use that paper should they decide on a draw and if the papers are folded the way he did it. If not, Ging will look down. And this explains that small panel in chapter 319 at the very bottom of the page where Beans enters. We see Ging and another Zodiac from Beans' point-of-view. Ging wants to succeed Netero's legacy and set up everything. He predicted everything. Man, he is a genius. This also explains the words of Beans in 319: "This is what it means to be a Hunter". First I thought he meant himself, but with chapter 320 it becomes clear that he meant Ging.

The voting starts and we see Netero's grave, with some sexy photos in front of it. Kinda funny. On the election day we meet some people we haven't seen since the Hunter exam, like the judges and Hanzo. Greed Island characters are there as well, that guy with his namen written wrong for the sake of a D in Greed Island (Dwight?) , Biske (she looks sadly cute), Melody, Tsezguerra and Hisoka. Hisoka is strangely drawn, I remember him being more slender and creepy. Funny thing is, he rates the Zodiac with points. Then Illumi arrives and things get interesting agian. Hisoka has played tag with Kuroro. Meaing: Hisoka is either still searching for Kuroro or he has fought him already (and survived). Second could be true, because he thinks of fighting the Zodiac Twelve next. Illumi reveals to him the condition of Gon and tells us all that Killua is negotiating with his dad. We all saw that coming, although a few still thought he would go to Greed Island. "Both of them will die" are Illumi's words, and I still don't get why because the chat suddenly jumps to the missing Zoldyck brother and that Illumi wants to kill him. I cannot see the connection there right now.

The results of the vote comes in: Mouse is at the top, but has no majority vote. The rest is nice information, but the gist of it is: not 95% voter participation, it has to be done again. Nice fact: There are 580 voters, meaning 580 Hunters total. Let's do some science! In one hundred years every year around 5.8 people succeed in the exam. The number seems logical to me. Hell, Killua was the only one. Ging too if I remember correctly.

Conclusion and Predictions

I liked the chapters. Really. Finally the plot gets going again, we had a lot of screen time with Ging and we get to see how the Hunter Association works. Hisoka appeared again and we got a hint regarding Killua. Predictions... oh well. The election will continue and we will meet Killua again and/or learn what his plain actually is. I cannot think of anything more, and I have no idea how Gon can be saved right now.

Those other series

This is a new category where I will take a small look at the other big shounen series.
Bleach: Surprisingly interesting. The fight was okay, the ability well explained and I want to see more next week. After the whole arrancar arc Bleach has goten better again.
Naruto: Well, it is Naruto. The first part was okay, the revelation with Madara was nice and that is probably everything.
One Piece: You guys now me, I love One Piece. But the last chapters were kinda strange and I think that the plot stands still right now. Nonetheless, the chapter was okay.

If you like my reviews, you are all invited to vote for me at the Community Awards for Best Reviewer

LoneLobo
Credits: All chapter 319+320 pictures taken from mangastream.com

Host Samurai

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Please register to see the content of this post.

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany

LoneLobo

Reviewer
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany