Loveless by Kouga Yun | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Loveless by Kouga Yun

kaylee

mousou mashiin
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the Loveless Discussion Thread!

Title: Loveless
Authored by Kouga Yun
Serialized by Zero-Sum (monthly magazine)
Genre: Shōnen-Ai, Drama, Mystery, Supernatural
Japanese Release: 10 volumes (ongoing)
Edited Manga: 10 volumes (ongoing)
Smut Level: very light

Summary (from Tokyopop)
Aoyagi Ritsuka is one troubled 6th grader. Two years ago, he mysteriously lost his memory and developed an alternate personality. His mother constantly berates (and occasionally beats) him, asking what happened to the "real" Ritsuka, and his only defender and friend, his older brother Seimei, was recently killed.

Suddenly, Seimei's apparent "friend," Soubi, appears. Soubi tells him that Ritsuka's true name is "Loveless," and that Soubi was assigned by Seimei to take care of Ritsuka and protect him. Ritsuka soon gets sucked into a bizzare underground society where teams of people, a "Fighter Unit," and a "Sacrifice," battle using elaborate and beautifully-phrased spells.

He seeks both acceptance of himself, and the answer to the mystery of who killed his brother and why.

Groups:
Kamibana (doing current chapters)
Obsession (Volumes 1-7) -->They dropped the project
Shoku-dan (Volumes 8+) -->They dropped the project

Download Sources
theLurker (IRC; Full volumes)
Shoku-dan (Full volumes, DDL for later chapters)

-----------------------------

If you're unfamiliar with Shōnen-Ai and want an atypical introduction, Loveless is the way to go. If you are familiar with Shōnen-Ai and haven't checked out Loveless yet, you need to do so now! The plot development, while a bit slow at times, is highly compelling, and does not take a backseat to the relationship aspect to the story, which is fairly unusual for Shōnen-Ai.

That's not to say that the relationship isn't a big part of the story though, because it is. However, what's emphasized more here is the deep bond between two souls -- a fighter and his or her sacrifice -- regardless of sex or age barriers. Intriguing, well-developed characters and gorgeous art added to the mix makes Loveless a must-read.

Anyone else here a fan? :amuse

[mod=Asclepius]Modifying opening post to update it[/mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a HUGE Loveless fan. I only have up to volume 7 of the manga but have seen the brilliant anime (though its ending is extremely ambiguous, many have said this was deliberate to make way for a second installment).

I MUST recommend people read this review of Loveless: http://www.sleepisfortheweak.org/pics/loveless/ as quite honestly, it says everything I have ever wanted to say about it and is a very well balanced and honest review.

As for my own opinion, Loveless sets the highest benchmark in storytelling for this genre. The characters are beautifully presented and developed, and the situations they find themselves in really convincing.

I was never one for the whole furry ears, and tail kind of thing and even I raised an eyebrow at the age difference between the two mains, but they are both treated with respect and as a result, their relationship comes off as dignified and tragic rather than smutty, as it so easily could have done.

Definitely give this manga and anime a go peoples, it's a gem!

Ariadne chan

Intl Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
i love this manga the only problem is Kouga sensei do minus pages each time and do a lot of hiatus and that is so sad -_____________-

Lamento

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Any better download sources?

kaylee

mousou mashiin
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah, just realized that shoku-dan was recently hacked into and all of their loveless downloads are gone. I think they'll add them back up eventually, but in the meantime try THIS.

You'll need to join the community before you can see the post, but it has volume downloads through volume 9 chapter 9 (the last scanlated chapter), plus the artbook. :)

I think evil empire has them too, but you'll need to register and post 7 times before you can see the links.

Last edited:

SilentPiper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, peoples, Loveless in an awesome manga/anime!

I feel that Loveless is such a great thing that it actually surprises me that there isn't more discussion about it right now.

So lets re-boot this thread and keep the fandom of "Loveless" alive!!!!

~SilentPiper~

Jolene

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Really good OST but not really good anime xD

Kandascending

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The anime didn't get a chance to explain anything. -_-" and now the manga's bi-monthly.

Kio, anyone? The new chapter was like WOAH WTF? I wrote a really long theory sheet for it ^^

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Kumibana is still Editing this manga. Loveless last chapter released was 83 in september (they were lacking translator for the project).

I really liked this manga. It's different, but some battles are too slow.

Asclepius

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Chapters 84-90 were released: http://www.mangareader.net/loveless/84

---------- Post added August 02, 2011 at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was July 04, 2011 at 03:59 AM ----------

Chapters 91 and 92 are out. Enjoy.

chapters 84-90 were boring, they felt like filler, i really dislike Ritsuka's school life.
Now we get a new character and things seems to point to more fights.
Let's wait and see who is this Moonless.
I miss Soubi. :(

Last edited:

LexiiIyka

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the Loveless the MANGA better than the actual ANIME I watched the ANIME and I was disappointed because it ended so fast for me it cut off before the story really begin....

Should I go out and get the MANGA to get my fix of Loveless:darn

Asclepius

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The manga has its ups and downs. I dislike the school part in manga as much as in anime. That teacher just gets more and more annoying in my opinion.
There is always some small stories that sounds like filler.
But the story develops deeper in the manga. That Soubi's friend from college presents a certain mystery. There are a lot of action later.
You should get a taste of it to see if you like it after the anime part.

And it might be hard to find it in shops in the USA if they were from Tokyopop (or BLU manga). They closed in may.

LexiiIyka

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess that's the end of Loveless for me .......:darn

Asclepius

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Chapter 93 is out.
The Booklet was also scanlated.
:D

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

bahhhhhhhhhh, only 9 pages of transitional chapter. :(
A transitional chapter. This "fighter" seems very obedient, if he is really one.
Maybe Soubi is starting to feel Ritsuka. I hope so. I want him to become Ritsuka fighter for real.
Gotta wait for next chapter to find out more.
Were they sent by Seimei?

The Booklet has a small story, some drawings and the author of gundan 00 also drew Loveless images in it.

Asclepius

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Chapter 94 is out!
The cover is sooooo cute! :blai

I loved the name Moonless. And they are cute. Will they be able to convince Ritsuka that Seimei is evil? I doubt.
Are they really ally or just spies?
Oh, i am very curious about the next chapter.

---------- Post added October 17, 2011 at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was October 16, 2011 at 03:25 AM ----------

Good news

Viz Media picked Loveless and they will start to release from volume 9 on the following months.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-16/viz-media-adds-loveless-jiu-jiu-manga

Last edited:

Hykari

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I personally don't mind Loveless. I found it started to develop a pattern, which then I lost interest. Although I still cosplay Ritsuka time-to-time, the manga made me lose interest of collecting any further. I currently own only up to book 4 and only watched the anime up to episode 4. I heard that it has more yaoi further into the manga. I could be wrong but, that is only what I heard. Anyone want to fill me in? I want to know if it is worth to go the extra mile and buy the next couple books. .. >n<" -manga crisis-

Asclepius

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Well, right now it is pure shounen.
It never became yaoi. There hasn't been a kiss in forever. Maybe it will soon.
The manga had a few boring chapters and recently it became good again.

Hmmm, book 5 has another fight, so it looks like a shounen with BL hints. There are some parts at school, if you like Ritsuka's friends you'll like it (i hate the school scenes).

Later, there is some weird story about Kyo (Soubi's classmate).

There is one or more chapters about how Soubi and Seimei met.

There will be a climax with a big revelation.

And current chapters are the after climax.

There are a few boring chapters here and there. Well, that's what i can say without spoiling the story till volume 10.

---------- Post added November 02, 2011 at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was October 20, 2011 at 05:36 PM ----------

New chapters of Loveless Out!!!!!!!
95 and 96
:luv

Manga News

Chapters 97 and 98 are out!
:blai

Manga News

Chapter 99 is out!

Last edited: