Theory - Luffy's Dream | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Luffy's Dream

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
There's are some theories about what Luffy and Roger secret dream is

Common theories include "having a party with everyone in the world" or "feeding everyone in the world"

However, none of these are true, because...

The dream sounds like utterly nonsense

Take a look at the reaction of the Straw Hats

Remember, they also have inconceivable dreams

The guy who wants to find an ocean that contains all oceans thinks there's something wrong with Luffy's head?

What does it takes to call something "impossible" in the world of One Piece?

Roger fulfilled his dream

Roger was certain he could make his dream reality if he becomes the greatest pirate in the world, despite not having much time left

And judging from Oden's reaction after his death...

Whatever Roger's dream was, he did it before his death

The dream means something else

How can Roger have already fulfilled his dream, but Usopp still thinks it's impossible?

When Yamato heard of Luffy's dream, he cried. Unlike Ace, Yamato knew Roger said the same words

Like Oden, Yamato knows this dream is not what it seems

The dream is...

"I want to live, even if I die"

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
While I think it's poetic, I feel it's not achievable by being a Pirate King. Also would be achievable by Brook's fruit.

I think it's even more ridiculous and it's not about him but about others.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Robin's reaction makes me wonder though, because instead of laughing and whatnot, she looks surprised, while Chopper is the opposite.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
While I think it's poetic, I feel it's not achievable by being a Pirate King. Also would be achievable by Brook's fruit.

I think it's even more ridiculous and it's not about him but about others.
Brooks fruit allow him to live a "second life", so I think he will eventually die. And he already lived 50 years as a skeleton.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Brooks fruit allow him to live a "second life", so I think he will eventually die. And he already lived 50 years as a skeleton.
I wonder what would take him to die. He can survive as just a soul. After all, his body is dead already.

Australopithecus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I wonder what would take him to die. He can survive as just a soul. After all, his body is dead already.
Imagine Blackbeard using his Yami Yami no Mi on Brook.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Apparently the soul can't do anything on its own

Also I think the fruit is still in Brook's body. If an object can have a fruit, a corpse shouldn't be a problem...

Whtiebeard's fruit remained in his body before Blackbeard stole it. In Smile's case, the fruit reappeared because it was completely destroyed

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chopper's reaction is what interests me the most. He has the most pure reaction because he is the youngest in the group.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
So this is when Roger revealed his dream to to Shanks

Last edited:

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
It’s interesting how Shanks, Ace, Sabo, Yamato, and Luffy’s crew are the only ones who’ve been shown to know what Luffy’s dream is, and suggests as if Yamato is just as relevant to Luffy as his role model, brothers, and crew are, even though Yamato is just a Wano babysitter. Regardless of how people view Yamato, one has to wonder why Oda framed things this way if he’s not even going to wait for Vivi to be part of this special moment of just now getting to know Luffy's overall dream, or is the moment not meant to be special in the first place?

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I also think Caribou knows. He was eavesdropping all the time. I feel like it will be actually significant that he is the only "outsider" who knows.

Vanshrimp

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
Roger fulfilled his dream
did he ?
why did the roger pirates say they came 20 years early, well sounded like dream was postponed / suspended...luyff + roger dream seems te depend on having limitless imagination + the ability to make it real ...

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
Apparently the soul can't do anything on its own

Also I think the fruit is still in Brook's body. If an object can have a fruit, a corpse shouldn't be a problem...

Whtiebeard's fruit remained in his body before Blackbeard stole it. In Smile's case, the fruit reappeared because it was completely destroyed
That's before Brook figured out more of his DF though.

Right now we do see him exist outside the body comfortably and do some stuff.
I don't think he can physically attack, but he can probably use his ice attacks though, since that comes from his DF
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

So this is when Roger revealed his dream to to Shanks

Where does the "Shanks tears" explanation comes from? SBS or something?

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
That's before Brook figured out more of his DF though.

Right now we do see him exist outside the body comfortably and do some stuff.
I don't think he can physically attack, but he can probably use his ice attacks though, since that comes from his DF
But it imply that if Brook's body is destroyed, his soul will be sent to the underworld like any other, or something like that

Where does the "Shanks tears" explanation comes from? SBS or something?
Road to Laugh Tale

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Maybe they wanted to die in a way that affected the entire world. Though, if Luffy said that age age 7, that's way to deep for someone that young.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think Luffy said he wants to be the greatest pirate, and Shanks is probably crying because he revealed he only had a year left to live.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
For now, my favorite theory is that the dream is to tear down all walls and borders, and make the seas free and safe for everyone to adventure as much as they like.

Which in practice would lead to destroying Marigeoise (and Fishmen Island beneath) by tearing down the Red Line and taming the Sea Beasts of Calm Belt.

I liked the pick-up of "Lufffys Country" from the flashback though. But since that is bit too much like Big Moms idea, I thought maybe to combine with it with the first idea.
What if Luffys dream is to be the King of the Seas?

In the world of OP a nation is usually an island, a separate landmass, ruled by a king. King is free to do as they will in their island. Island is surrounded by the Sea. The sea is neutral, no man's land. "A land" that exists between all other countries.

The sea is technically connected. One massive watermass if I may. So what if Luffy intends to be the King of all the seas. The Sea Nation. As a king he would be free to do as he wishes in his nation. Tying to his idea of the Pirate King being the most free person in the world.

And as Luffy is Luffy, he probably also dreams that in his Sea Nation anyone is free to go and do as they will, as long as they don't hurt anyone else. And everyone who follows the rules in under the protection of the King. If someone needs help in his Sea Nation, he will be there to help like a good king should.

Basically, he kinda, not realizing it himself, wants to create a new Navy, out of the control and corruption of Imu/G5/G20/WG/ Tenryuubito. A more neutral and good sea safety organization. Naive? Yes, but that short of naive optimism is very Luffy.

The King of the Sea Nation also is kinda similar, but essentially all different, to the King of the World. Rocks' goal, probably Blackbeards as well and kinda like Imus current status. Unlike those three, Luffy doesn't really wanna take power or control anyone. He just wants to make the interaction and travel fun, save and accessible to everyone.

I kinda still hope it's something else, something so silly I couldn't think of.

Last edited:

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Maybe they wanted to die in a way that affected the entire world.
But why Usopp called that "impossible"?

Roger already did it, so it's possible.

I think Luffy said he wants to be the greatest pirate, and Shanks is probably crying because he revealed he only had a year left to live.
In terms of being the greatest pirate, Luffy is already in the top 4 of the world.

I feel like it would be like Jeff Bezos saying he wants to be the richest person in the world. Is it really a big deal?

For now, my favorite theory is that the dream is to tear down all walls and borders, and make the seas free and safe for everyone to adventure as much as they like.
I feel like that goes against the message of One Piece.

Tearing down all walls and borders would imply a global government. Unless you abolish all governments... but many kings have been portrayed as benevolent.

I don't think Luffy would want the sea to be "safe". That's against his view of what an adventure is, right?

I liked the pick-up of "Lufffys Country" from the flashback though. But since that is bit too much like Big Moms idea, I thought maybe to combine with it with the first idea.
Doflamingo, Kaido, Big Mom... so many villains had countries of their own... sounds like an easy dream for Luffy. He's strong enough to take over most nations.

What if Luffys dream is to be the King of the Seas?
Is it really impossible? There's a World Government.

If Luffy literally meant to make the sea into a country... in a world with Fish-man, it's not really "impossible"...

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
But why Usopp called that "impossible"?
If I now said that I'm going to be a President, definetly someone would say "impossible!". That is a really vague reaction really.

I feel like that goes against the message of One Piece.

Tearing down all walls and borders would imply a global government. Unless you abolish all governments... but many kings have been portrayed as benevolent.
Quite opposite imho. I think it is rather anarchistic idea. Anarchism is usually against the idea of walls, borders or even nations.

I don't think Luffy would want the sea to be "safe". That's against his view of what an adventure is, right?
Sure, but Luffy also doesn't want anyone deliberately hurt, dead or attacked. What I meant mostly, is if people start doing slave trading, aggressive civil attacks etc. Luffy will not approve.

Is it really impossible? There's a World Government.
Yet even the world government doesn't fully control the Sea, as evidenced by the whole great age of Pirates. And besides, when there is an existing world government, and someone says I'm going to topple it with my different system, someone would definetly say "Impossible!"

If Luffy literally meant to make the sea into a country... in a world with Fish-man, it's not really "impossible"...
Still not easy, especially when your self are an anchor. Besides as I said, "impossible" is vague and usually not used the sense "that is not possible in the realm of reality, physics and nature".