OS - Mac? Windows? Linux? | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

OS Mac? Windows? Linux?

Mac? Windows? Linux?

• Mac

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Windows

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Linux

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters

zelllogan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I used linux on my main computer for several months years ago. Xp was dying and seven was not there yet. It s fun to use but that s it. At some point you will need an application running only on windows.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Any thoughts, predictions about the upcoming Windows 10?

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
It seems Windows 10 will bring user interface improvements for desktop computers which is a welcome change. Microsoft basically continues the trend of introducing poorly implemented technologies on one version of Windows and fixing the flaws on the next one. I'm also curious about the new browser Spartan, I wonder if it'll be a strong alternative to Chrome which, by far, has the biggest market share at the moment.

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Anybody here had a chance to try the Windows 10 Technical Preview? : D

Chucked it on an old 7 years old laptop I had lying around and I'm finding it's not that bad. Still buggy as heck, which is a given, but it's not bad. I'm liking the UI updates, not so much with some elements that were swapped around in Build 9926, and just read that DX12 is bringing some really nice things to the table. Windows 10 looks promising.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Unfortunately no :( ... I'm pretty sure it will be a pretty slick and fast OS, and the general attitude of Microsoft towards it makes me confident that it will be a successful OS...the free upgrade from 7 or 8 tells me they are pretty confident in their product...

I'm more interested in that new browser of theirs though :zomg

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I haven't tested it but from the reviews I read it's not bad.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Not had a chance to try it yet - but going by Microsoft's trend of inter-spacing 'worthwhile' Windows editions between crappy versions, 10 should be good.
That said, 7 still is fine for me.

DX12 could be good though - not sure if good enough for me to care for Windows 10 however.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Not had a chance to try it yet - but going by Microsoft's trend of inter-spacing 'worthwhile' Windows editions between crappy versions, 10 should be good.
That said, 7 still is fine for me.

DX12 could be good though - not sure if good enough for me to care for Windows 10 however.
If you're talking about gaming, you would have to play a game that actually uses DX12...few games today use even DX11, or it's just used for some rare features...

Windows 8 is good though :nod

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
8.1 seems ok - upgraded my surface with it.
To be honest, the whole tile/desire to constantly 'beautify the functional' thing annoys me somewhat... Also, I HATE APPS. Really I despise them...

However, that said, I still think that 8 falls into the category of 'no reason to upgrade over previous iteration'.

Not gonna judge 10 till I can give it a go, but will probably hold off upgrading windows till I do my next system build (whenever that may be)...

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Ah Microsoft, never change.

Laughed for a solid five minutes at this. Haha.

Windows 10 is out today.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
So had to manually install OS 10 (Oh sorry windows 10 )

Turns out for some reason the auto update from 8.1 to W10 was not working.
Possibly due to some of the software I have. Manually installing took a longer time than expected.

The graphics card Nvidia 970 driver did not auto install in the upgrade. Windows update said no drivers found, :lmao
Manually installed the graphics driver and the install fails. Tried a reboot and - BAAAM - its a a go!

So that was a bit of the headache for me - but the 0S looks nice. I am just exploring it now.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to install it yesterday using a method I saw on Lifehacker but it said Windows 10 couldn't update on my laptop(w7), but just a few minutes ago I've noticed the "Get Windows 10" notification on my taskbar. So I'll try again in a bit.

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Use the Media Creation Tool to "force" it to download rather than wait.
It's an 18ishMB file, once you have it, double click it and you get two choices between Upgrade Now and Create Installation Media.

If my guinea pig (an eight year old Core 2 Duo/2GB RAM laptop) can run Windows 10, yours should be fine, Goldb. Granted I did put a fresh copy of 7 on it before I pushed the upgrade.

I'm gonna wait out a few months before putting Windows 10 on my main computer. Let some of the bugs get ironed out first.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Use the Media Creation Tool to "force" it to download rather than wait.
It's an 18ishMB file, once you have it, double click it and you get two choices between Upgrade Now and Create Installation Media.

If my guinea pig (an eight year old Core 2 Duo/2GB RAM laptop) can run Windows 10, yours should be fine, Goldb. Granted I did put a fresh copy of 7 on it before I pushed the upgrade.

I'm gonna wait out a few months before putting Windows 10 on my main computer. Let some of the bugs get ironed out first.
That's what I've been using; the Media Creation Tool. I have it downloaded on a USB so I run it from there because the "Get Windows 10" notification on my laptop only comes up blank. Once I run the application, it'll load to 100% then on one of the following screens it'll say that "This PC can't run Windows 10" "See below to find out why if you're interested", but the screen below is also blank.

:emocat

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
1. Are you sure you're downloading the right Windows 10? (e.g: you run a 32-bit Windows but you chose the 64-bit version {which won't work))

2. Are you sure you have enough disk space on your system partition for the upgrade?

3. Are all your drivers up to date? Check for updates through Windows Update.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Are you sure you're downloading the right Windows 10? (e.g: you run a 32-bit Windows but you chose the 64-bit version {which won't work))

2. Are you sure you have enough disk space on your system partition for the upgrade?

3. Are all your drivers up to date? Check for updates through Windows Update.
1. Yup, my Windows 7 runs a 64-bit, so that's the Windows 10 version I got.

2. I have about 300gb free space on my system, which I would think is enough, no?

3. My Windows Update tells me everything is up to date. It was the first thing I did before even getting the Media Creation Tool.

Whatever the problem is, it shows it when I run the installation but because the window appears blank, I can't tell what it is. Maybe I have something that is damaged...

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
1. Yup, my Windows 7 runs a 64-bit, so that's the Windows 10 version I got.

2. I have about 300gb free space on my system, which I would think is enough, no?

3. My Windows Update tells me everything is up to date. It was the first thing I did before even getting the Media Creation Tool.

Whatever the problem is, it shows it when I run the installation but because the window appears blank, I can't tell what it is. Maybe I have something that is damaged...
That is a weird situation Bob - I can not see the reason why that happens.
Only thing I can think of is that some hardware on the laptop is in compatible with the latest W10.

If nothing else works I will suggest the following but it will be more of a bother.

Clean install the W7 then try to the windows 10 or create a partition and try to install w10 on that.
300 gb seems more than enough lol.

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
No no no, you gotta upgrade to 10 first, then make a bootable ISO if you're into the clean install thing. 7/8/8.1 keys won't work when you're installing a fresh copy of 10, so don't jump straight to a fresh install.

What's happening is when you upgrade, your old key is "converted" to a 10 key and it stays recognized on that machine, even after you decide to format and slap a fresh copy of 10 on it.

Check your drivers one last time, Bob, look up your model under the manufacturer's support page, and check you're running all the latest stuff. With display drivers, go to Intel/NVIDIA/AMD and check against their sites. And then try one more time.

Last resort would be, as Charlie points out, slap a fresh copy of 7 on your drive and upgrade from there.

TStew

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Haven't run windows on any machine of mine in about 3 years or so now, 100% windows free. Running Ubuntu Linux.

Nomi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Windows for gamers and those who look for wide range of applications. (Windows 10 is good since Bash is gonna come in the Red Stone 2 update)
Mac For devs and artists. (The Unix factor, You know.)
Linusx For devs and hackers. (Arch Linux for the enthusiasts and others may find some other distro based upon their needs and skills)