Shoujo - Mademoiselle Butterfly by Ogura Akane | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shoujo Mademoiselle Butterfly by Ogura Akane

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Title:
Mademoiselle Butterfly
Author/Artist: Ogura Akane
Publishing Status: Complete (2 Volumes) by Hakusensha
Serialized in: LalaDX
Edited Manga Status: Complete by Aerandria Scans & Shoujo Manga Maniac
Year: 2005
Genre: Shoujo, Romance, Drama, Historical

Summary from MangaUpdates:
Butterfly is a young geisha in training. She loves and admires her childhood friend, Chinatsu-san. He’s a tattoo artist, and he paints butterflies on her arms and is kind to her. One day she visits Chinatsu and finds a naked woman there. Butterfly is devastated at the thought of her friend with another girl all along. Soon after, a rich foreigner offers to buy Butterfly and take her to live luxuriously in a faraway land with him. She’ll miss life at home, but maybe it will help her forget Chinatsu. But does she really want to?

Personal Thoughts:
So far it has been a quite good series. The art is pretty good. Sometimes I feel like the characters are not that great, but at other times the artwork is beautiful too. The plot itself is rather simple, though a bit strange maybe, for someone as old as Chinatsu to love a girl as young as Butterfly. I guess that is the point, then.

yukihime03

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Re: [Shoujo] Mademoiselle Butterfly by Ogura Akane

Oh.. I've read this one. The ending is happy, thankfully. I have my doubt because the story is inspired by another story that has tragic ending. And that another story, titled Madama Butterfly, has inspired so many other stories that also have tragic endings. I am greatly relieved to know this manga doesn't meet the same kind of end. The story is just so sweet and touching.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Now I am curious to check those series with tragic endings. XD

I was afraid as well that it would end bad. Chinatsu at the beginning didn't seem to be interested in Butterfly that much, and that he only thought of her as a close friend. I'm so glad that he confessed and admitted it at the end. ^^

yukihime03

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Haha. Madama Butterfly is an opera, I think. And there's still M.Butterfly which is a play. It doesn't end tragic, but it's not happy too. Kinda funny actually, since the man and the woman break up because the woman isn't a woman but a man. :P The "woman" kills "her"self after that.

Yeah. Thankfully there's no "age gap" crap there too coz Chinatsu is much older than Butterfly. Instead, everyone seems to think that they match each other.
Oh.. and Chinatsu's older bro... LOL~ He's a tsundere, isn't he?

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Yeah. Thankfully there's no "age gap" crap there too coz Chinatsu is much older than Butterfly. Instead, everyone seems to think that they match each other.
Oh.. and Chinatsu's older bro... LOL~ He's a tsundere, isn't he?
I agree. When I started to read it, I felt like there was something strange, especially about Chinatsu and Butterfly since it seemed to me that they had quite the age gap there. Chinatsu was obviously way older than Butterfly~ I couldn't really imagine how he waited for Butterfly to grow a bit bigger. Actually I'm still confused with their age, just doesn't make sense a bit. :P

Yes, his older brother is one sweet guy. Tsundere, but still sweet. :XD