News - Manga-Anime Guardians Launched To Thwart Piracy | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

News Manga-Anime Guardians Launched To Thwart Piracy

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Stop early Edited Manga is nearly impossible because it would have to change the way the publishers there in Japan distribute their magazines. The magazine must arrive in the stores before its release date, there is no way to change that. That said and given the fact that they want to shut down sites that were based in countries they don't any power... It tends to be a failure again.
Improve their services around the world would be better than try to stop Edited Mangas. USA is almost a heaven for me, here we don't have 1/4 of releases USA has and no ways to read it digitally besides Crunchyroll, which is in English and narrow the amount of people who can use it.

It is not just a problem in USA, it is a worldwide problem that they are dealing wrongly.
As an example, thepiratebay was aimed by the entire entertainment industry more than once and it is still alive. Only one site, even more a bunch of them.
Technically they could prevent the early leaks by getting rid of the physical magazines entirely and switching to digital-distribution-only. Which they're not gonna do any time soon, obviously. If that happened, then they would totally control the exact moment it was available to anyone. So in that way they could not give Manga Editors enough time to scanlate. Course, then you would end up with a Horriblesubs type of scenario where they got ripped and put up for free immediately.

Tonari no Young Jump works in a pretty good way, I think. I'm glad One Punch Man is doing well, because it's setting a precedent that that business model can work. The series goes online on their official reader (Even though it's kinda slow) and is free to view by anyone from any region. So I always just read that series on their site. Course, the official English version comes out later and you have to pay for it. So it's not a flawless system.

WesKR

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Technically they could prevent the early leaks by getting rid of the physical magazines entirely and switching to digital-distribution-only. Which they're not gonna do any time soon, obviously. If that happened, then they would totally control the exact moment it was available to anyone. So in that way they could not give Manga Editors enough time to scanlate. Course, then you would end up with a Horriblesubs type of scenario where they got ripped and put up for free immediately.

Tonari no Young Jump works in a pretty good way, I think. I'm glad One Punch Man is doing well, because it's setting a precedent that that business model can work. The series goes online on their official reader (Even though it's kinda slow) and is free to view by anyone from any region. So I always just read that series on their site. Course, the official English version comes out later and you have to pay for it. So it's not a flawless system.
Or they could just release the magazine digitally a week before the print schedule.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think that the best course of action would be to stop trying to make a profit chapter by chapter and focus on the volume sales. Manga is a type of media that people, normally, don't mind to read the same thing, they read weekly and buy the volume to read again afterward. By what I understood, Tonari no Young Jump is doing that with Onepunch-man and its volumes still sell fairly well. Crunchyroll is like that as well, locking up chapters after one week.
Of course, there would be something like Horriblescans thing and it would work only in a digital-distribution-only scenario, but in the future it would be best action to take.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Or they could just release the magazine digitally a week before the print schedule.
If they did this, it would be better end with print version at once.

Stark700

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
If they did this, it would be better end with print version at once.
No, because print would still be for those who like to hold the magazine, albeit a week later. People would still buy it.

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
The reason it's not gonna happen any time soon is that the vast majority of people buy the physical magazine in Japan. Largely because that's just how it's always been, I guess. They'd end up losing money doing that.

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Just when I thought this is over, all manga hosting sites in my local area (Vietnam) are gone. All of them is in the hunt list :emocat

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just when I thought this is over, all manga hosting sites in my local area (Vietnam) are gone. All of them is in the hunt list :emocat
Is there a legal vietnam manga industry, I never hear nothing about it.

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Is there a legal vietnam manga industry, I never hear nothing about it.
Legal licensed manga, yes. It has been a while since the day local publisher started licensed manga. But the publishers are nice to the Manga Editors. They even ask the Manga Editors if they would work for them for the same manga the Manga Editors work on.
Legal manga-anime online site however, no. It's basically the same to mangafox, mangapark, etc.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
But the publishers are nice to the Manga Editors. They even ask the Manga Editors if they would work for them for the same manga the Manga Editors work on.
You know, that actually explains why almost all of the best editors I know are Vietnamese. I've been wondering about that for a while now.