Cleaning - Manga auto cleaning program | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Cleaning Manga auto cleaning program

stringman520

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Now, I've been a MangaHelpers fan for almost a year now. I've been the ultimate lurker, I have a total of 1 post and I've been logged in for as of this particular moment for 16 hours and 41 minutes. I've been wishing to be able to help scanlate or do something to give back to the MH community I've been so willing to leech off of, but alas cleaning is not for all of us. I am pretty much the least artistically inclined person I've ever encountered so anything I could bring to the table was already brought and expanded upon tenfold.

About two weeks ago I came up with the way to give back. What about creating a graphics program tailored specifically for cleaning manga. I have a strong background in programming, specifically java. So I started reading, I read through Shinwei's Cleaners' Compendium (for those who haven't seen it and somehow ended up here, check it out, it really is incredible: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=2433.0) and started to think of ways to make a computer think the way he was writing about, and then I started reading through Java documentation and seeing what classes they had to manipulate images and the like. And I found that my idea was, albeit quite difficult, very much possible. So I started reading some more and writing code I bought a book, all about computer graphics in java and it turned out to be a lifesaver.

Now, at this point the program is far from being done at all, but it is able to do the first step, leveling, in the cleaners' compendium automatically as well as allows you to manually level to your specification, and I wanted to offer it up to the community. What would you like to see in this program, as it is in early stages of development, are there things you think are possible to be done but with your current tools it just doesn't work, or require a lot of manual redrawing.

At this point, the program can quite simply only open up zip files of jpg, folders of jpgs, pngs, or gifs, or zip archives of jpgs, pngs, or gifs.

EDIT: Updated version (As of 1/27/08)
SS: http://www.sendspace.com/file/nfjsh0
RS: http://rapidshare.com/files/87107033/MangaCleaningProject.jar.html

As of right now, I'm distributing it as a jar file. For those who don't know, a JAR file is basically a java executable. The reason I put it like this is because you can open and run this on any computer which has Java installed, not dependent on operating system. If for some reason your system is unable to run this, go here https://sdlc6c.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet;jsessionid=8A7B73113C30E8A43D87CEB03262D83E to download the newest version of the JRE. Also, as this uses some of the newer features of java, if you're getting strange error messages, go there to download the newest version.

I know by posting this I'm opening up myself to a wide variety of criticism like "this program sucks, it doesn't do anything." Let me say beforehand, I know. The reason I'm even offering it up at all is to get a feel for what I'm trying to create and post constructive criticism as well as any personal preferences of what they'd like to see.

Right now, I already have an idea on how to do steps 2-4 in the compendium, and I'll post updates if there is any interest at all. I'm going to continue to do this, because I think there is a potential in using this to either produce a very fast, higher quality scan on a LQ Raw, or on a HQ raw being able to produce a HQ Edited Manga much faster.

Oh yeah, and finally if you're going to look this, I would suggest just downloading a zipped raw and feeding it to the program and seeing what it spits out.

Last edited:

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I must say I'm definitely looking forward to future versions. It takes care of a lot of the menial jobs pretty well on its own, (like leveling). I'm not a cleaner or anything, but from the little I played around with it, it looks like you're doing a great job with the program.

The only thing I can say is that it doesn't run that quickly on my slow older computer here, but that shouldn't make too much of a difference. I'll wait until future versions when you've added in more features to give you any real kind of critique, but as of right now, for newbies like me who can't really use photoshop, (not to mention it adds portability so you can clean no matter what computer you're on), it looks like it could be pretty useful.

white silver

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Wow Stringman520, I believe you might be the guy "everybody" is waiting for. I have not downloaded the Java program yet, but I think I will anytime soon. I've been having the same idea about an "auto" program that cleans mangas (which I thought impossible) but I guess you're the guy to do it. I'll remember you if you happen to make that come true.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I don't know if I'm the only one here, but I'm having a hard time saving the images after I convert them. The results are a corrupt image file that can't be read.

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Same here, xi0.

Either way, good job stringman,I'm definitely looking forward to see how this program develops.
Could you explain more about what other features you will add?

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
xi0 said:
I don't know if I'm the only one here, but I'm having a hard time saving the images after I convert them. The results are a corrupt image file that can't be read.
What exactly are you doing? If you open a raw make some minor changes, and then click save under the file menu, or if you try to navigate away from the one image to another, it will prompt you to save. Also, check the version of Java you're using. The ImageIO classes I use to save are from a newer release. I think that I'm going to add in some default exception handling because if there's a certain type of error which is unhandled right now it won't show up, and I think this is your problem.

Fnuckale said:
Same here, xi0.

Either way, good job stringman,I'm definitely looking forward to see how this program develops.
Could you explain more about what other features you will add?
Well as far as features are concerned, there are definitely short term and long term goals. I'll lay them out. Short term: auto rotating pages, auto cleaning of text bubbles, and auto re drawing of borders. In addition, there will be a view menu added to show page, show panels and show text, all corresponding to a different color that won't be saved if saved, but will allow the user to view what the program has interpreted as being all of these. I thiink some sort of user interaction would be useful here, to allow the user the ability to modify the programs interpretations, or just remove it. I think that shouldn't be too hard. The one feature that will be tough, which is necessary for a true HQ release will be cleaning the text not within text bubbles. That I can't even begin to fathom how it will work.

Basically long term, I want to basically take that cleaners' compendium and make a program do that automatically, just faster. Also, I think if I get it to the point where it can clean the raws to a degree I think sufficient, then I'll try to add typesetting features. I think though for now I'm going to just put my efforts into cleaning.

EDIT: Oh, I will also turn it into a real executable for all operating systems, but for right now, the most reliable program for doing that for Windows is $100 so I don't see the need to use that, plus it makes it a lot more compatible right now. And have all normal program features, like help and such.

Binky

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I had an identical problem as far as the saving went, but nevertheless I have to give huge kudos, both for the idea and the execution thusfar.

Difficulties will lie ahead of course, I'm finding it difficult to concieve how you're going to get some of the more advanced processes automated, but then, I'm technologically inept and struggle to comprehend how to turn a computer on roughly half the time. That's the good thing about communities, I can make others do stuff for me. :amuse Yeah, this definately has the potential to be pretty exciting.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm probably using an out of date version hence the saving problem.

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I think the first thing I'm going to do when I get home from work today is put in a check for the correct version, is very simple to do, and will alleviate these problems.

EDIT: I will re upload at that point the corrected version

yeste

Reaction score
Country
Vatican City State
It's a very nice idea, and i wish you all the best with your program!!! I'll also check it out when i can!!! :)

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you very much

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Sweet idea. I'm playing with it and it runs well on Linux. Thanks for thinking about all-OS compatibility :love

There was no problem in saving the pics here. I would like to see a few more basic funtions, before you develope more converting methods, like zoom function, 'cause it's hard to check the details atm ... also saving the pics under a different name would be nice ... and resize one/all pics.

How about a projectpage on sourceforge?

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
eni said:
Sweet idea. I'm playing with it and it runs well on Linux. Thanks for thinking about all-OS compatibility :love

There was no problem in saving the pics here. I would like to see a few more basic funtions, before you develope more converting methods, like zoom function, 'cause it's hard to check the details atm ... also saving the pics under a different name would be nice ... and resize one/all pics.

How about a projectpage on sourceforge?
Okay, I like the idea of a zoom function. I might try to develop the basics, like a cut, copy, paste routine. Before moving onto more advanced stuff. As far as resizing, I think when it gets more complete, I'm going to develop a batch mode, where you can specify what functions you want to do, with an ability to save batches and apply to one picture or all, which would include the resizing, as well as leveling. The more I think about it, the more it might replace the "auto clean" and "auto clean all" functions, although it will be a little complicated.

Also, on sourceforge, I like that idea a lot, but I've never done it before, but I'll look into it. I was also thinking of offering up the code to anyone who wants to help (I can't do it right now, because the commenting is quite bad at this point), and would be tremendously confusing. I don't know if there are a lot of rogue programmers sitting on mangahelpers though.[br]Posted on: October 06, 2006, 10:58:26 AM_________________________________________________Okay, I've updated the program and reuploaded to send space. The new link is http://www.sendspace.com/file/bo8k9m, I also updated the first post. The new features in this version are java version checking, so if you have too old a version, it will display an error message. I don't know if this works or not, as I only have a new version installed, so if it happens to you, please let me know. Additionally, I added in zoom capability. This was actually a lot more difficult than anticipated. I was going to add in cut, copy and paste capabilities, but I realized that would probably be somewhat unnecessary. Next my goals are to add rotation, which will be essentially doing panel selection, and analyzing if the lines are straight are not and rotating the opposite amount.

I looked into SourceForge a little bit, and realized that I'm not really going to be diligent enough with uploading my code to that server to be any real use. I'd much rather be trying to get it working, rather than doing administrative tasks.

ssjohn

Reaction score
Country
United States
I havent d/led it yet *cuz no time/ im on dial up >__<* but this looks / sounds amazeing and i can't wait tell you get more done ^__^ this would save me / others aloooooooooot of time :)

thanks for the work ^-^

~ssjohn

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, dial up dosen't matter, its a total of 28 KB, but thanks

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
the program looks fine so far...

only things that i noticed (i'm on windows vista)
- It isn't aero compatible // doesn't really matter, but w/e i wanted to give you notice xD
- opening folders is kinda hard... most of the time it changes to edit the folders name...
- it's really slow in scrolling...

but nonetheless this is great stuff, it will really lessen the workload on cleaners a lot :)

i'm looking forward to future versions and an executable for windows, to see if it is just java that sucks away the speed or not ^^

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The Zoom function works great. No problems so far with this nice little prog. I'm looking forward to the batch mode :)

stringman520 said:
I was also thinking of offering up the code to anyone who wants to help (I can't do it right now, because the commenting is quite bad at this point), and would be tremendously confusing. I don't know if there are a lot of rogue programmers sitting on mangahelpers though.
Hm, not so much programmers here, I think. I know rough the basic since I studied computer science for a year, but barely enough to help myself adding a patch manually or something like this^^

@ttx ... could be java. I noticed on a friends PC that vista and java progs don't work very well yet. But it's still beta (both, vista and mangacleaner^^), so I wouldn't pay so much attention for this pairing now xD

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
ttxdragon said:
the program looks fine so far...

only things that i noticed (i'm on windows vista)
- It isn't aero compatible // doesn't really matter, but w/e i wanted to give you notice xD
- opening folders is kinda hard... most of the time it changes to edit the folders name...
- it's really slow in scrolling...

but nonetheless this is great stuff, it will really lessen the workload on cleaners a lot :)

i'm looking forward to future versions and an executable for windows, to see if it is just java that sucks away the speed or not ^^
What happens when opening folders? It generally just opens the folder, and will save to the folder. Really slow in scrolling, I don't know if there's much that can be done. But we will see when it becomes an exe later on.

eni said:
The Zoom function works great. No problems so far with this nice little prog. I'm looking forward to the batch mode :)

Hm, not so much programmers here, I think. I know rough the basic since I studied computer science for a year, but barely enough to help myself adding a patch manually or something like this^^

@ttx ... could be java. I noticed on a friends PC that vista and java progs don't work very well yet. But it's still beta (both, vista and mangacleaner^^), so I wouldn't pay so much attention for this pairing now xD
Nice to know about the vista and java progs

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I'd just like to drop by and let stringman know that I am still having trouble saving images after I've used the program.

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you upgraded your java version? Everyone who is using the most recent version it is working. Sorry for the lack of updates, I've encountered a really annoying problem which I think is a bug in Java which isn't allowing me to set pixels in a greyscale image, which makes it terribly annoying. I'm trying to figure out a workaround, and then the auto rotation, and cleaning outside of frame will be completed, at which point I'll either reupload or do work on panel selection. After that will come the batch mode.

flar_14_2003

Reaction score
i haven't tried your program 'cause the the link isn't working... can you do other links?.....

i ha ve this question... do you need to have the photoshop software to use your program or does it works on its own by just having java?...
:tem