Discussion - Manga Club - #03 Reading & Sharing "The Faraway Paladin" | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Manga Club - #03 Reading & Sharing "The Faraway Paladin"

Selecting the collective reading story for December:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Wait wait still on the process of replacing the poll XD
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Ok, now you can do it!
--- Double Post Merged, ---

We'll be reading The Faraway Paladin, suggested by @Asako ^^ (love the art again)

As always, I expect you guys to post your thoughts about the series within the next two weeks \o/ Use spoiler tags during this time, please.
Feel free to continue posting about it after it, I hope we enjoy the series enough to keep following it!

Sadly, this is likely the last round of the Manga Club, it lost a lot of engagement
We can bring it back in the future whenever people get hyped again o/​

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I forgot to vote haha. But Asako's suggestion seems nice, I really will be making time to read it upcoming days :nod

Definitely sad that this would be the last round for now, hopefully we can pick it up someday. Really liked the idea.

Asako

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
I guess this could be great for summer not now, most people are really busy with life these months

But hey, isekai for the win :XD
will read marma recommendation an other time as I'm interested

A shame I already had my next recommendation being a korean novel that I been reading adapted to manhwa (tho the web novel actually really popular in korean and those that read korean novel but I figure I could slip it in as manhwa isn't as popular)

Well I keep it for an other time

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
lol, I actually skipped out on rounds with the intention of participating more when activity dipped :lmao

I've got a few days spare, so I'll read this manga and give some thoughts about it.

It's actually good to break up the readings imo, so that it doesn't become a steep commitment => feel guilty about not reading / start stressing about catching up => give up.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I don't have many positives from the first volume to be honest. The story is very untold so far, imho, so even with my apprehensions I will at least give this another volume to provide me with some orientation as to what I'm supposed to be reading.

The plot is kinda non-existent. The exposition is so high that we are told what things are and what people think, but in terms of plot, we aren't provided with any aims, goals or obstacles to engage us and be interested to see what happens next. There's a coming of age ceremony, where Will chooses the God he worships (it will surely be Gracefeel, the God of Reincarnation). The rest is still 'shrouded in mystery', of which Will informs us every other panel. For me, it's hard to be caught in the feeling of mystery when 95% of the content is explained to us via monologue/narration, and then be told the rest is a mystery.

In the beginning, it took me a while to figure out what was going on, as Will was dying or committing suicide or was just being emo. I believe this was his previous life. This was pretty lazy imo. Will's past life, due to Will having memories of it, is an important base to understand his character. Yet, we're given an intro where he tells us things are mundane, and then in chapter 3 where he decides to lament his former life again, he calls it a life of convenience. This was told in contrast to Mary's teachings and constitution, of discipline, prayer and focus, which Will found more fulfillment. I expect that Will's former life was in more 'modern' times, where things were more convenient, thus becoming stagnant (recurring motif), and that is one of the themes the mangaka is playing out. Which is a good topic for this day and age, with how people can order food to their door-step without a thought while Mary literally burns to put food on the table. There's also the first panels of the manga where Will's mind was muddied, and he didn't have any purpose or energy to put his life back on track, which is a concern these days for young people/men. However, I don't believe the manga will try to flesh that topic or any other judging by the writing style of vol 1.

Which leads me to another thing - Will and the story are spread too thin so far. Rather than trying to nail down something, Will is learning everything at a rate of knots. I'm not sure if he's meant to be a scholar, warrior or priest at this point. Wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a battle manga for a couple volumes, then switch into Will the monk, then President William for the finale. We've already had a timeskip.

I have written down other things which are mostly confusions or wtf's, but I'll give it another volume before airing those. There is potential for this story if the mangaka narrows the scope imo. There's also the 'living world' which we're close to seeing, which may reveal things to latch on to, plot, characters, etc.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Volume 2 was better, mainly because there was more dialogue and action. There were good fights and badass moments, particularly with Gus who I enjoy the most so far. The 3 undead are a good mix and had more involvement in this volume.

I guess Will died again or is on the brink of death, since he saw Gracefeel again at the end (presumably, thinking back to chapter 1 where he saw someone carrying a lantern). Gracefeel is the god of reincarnation, so... and would she be the direct opponent of stagnate?

I liked the scene where Will went out to fight Stagnate's echo, asking for the statues for divine protection. Mary also slapping the emo out of Will was much needed and I'm glad that was taken care of as, for all his genius, Will jumps to conclusions when it is of emotional matters, as we all do.

On reflection of the first 2 vols, the content of this manga, so far, might appeal to those who more considerate to what they are reading, and think more deeply, than I do. I continually finding myself wanting movement and direction, which I either attribute to a shortness of focus on my end or flawed delivery of the story.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Ohhh? If people are interested, I can pick it up again next month. We don't need many readers, just a couple of enthusiastic ones to keep bringing us good titles ^^

Sorry I'm late, Koko, was catching up with Frieren (up to date now \o/). Will post here this week!

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I was thinking, maybe we can extend the reading period a bit (ie three weeks instead of two) if that helps people keeping up more

(ik i’ve been a terrible reader lol)

Asako

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
Ohhh? If people are interested, I can pick it up again next month. We don't need many readers, just a couple of enthusiastic ones to keep bringing us good titles ^^

Sorry I'm late, Koko, was catching up with Frieren (up to date now \o/). Will post here this week!
i should also really start talking in these manga discussion too
i keep forgetting to do so, like with frieren new chapters ( tho I'm not that caught up yet, was stacking chapters lol)

but yea about what brandish said, this series isn't for those that want action and more action as its rather slow paced when it comes to it
it's more world building right now

(I also been thinking of picking up the novel but its not easy when you want to pick up like 20 novels but dont have a lot of time to reading :XD
and so I'm stuck bookmarking everything)

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Ey guys, this seems a funny ride. Is it possible to suggest other titles for the next round?

Asako

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
Guysss just wanted to say that in two weeks the anime for this manga will be airing
Hope you follow it :nod