Discussion - Manga Club - #04 Reading & Sharing "Our Dreams at Dusk" | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Manga Club - #04 Reading & Sharing "Our Dreams at Dusk"

Choose one of the following options for the reading:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Other than my suggestion which I haven't read, I voted for Shimanami Tasogare. I have read one volume of it and would like to finish it. Good manga for discussion too.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
This is so hard. I've read three of these options, which are all really good, but I'm also curious about the other series.

Uuuuggggh o3o

Asako

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
This is so hard. I've read three of these options, which are all really good, but I'm also curious about the other series.

Uuuuggggh o3o
Make them battle to the death

I don't mind editing that summary if you gimme a better one, Koko XD I just go with MAL or bakaupdates by default.
So I think this summarizes the start more

... jk I just want to post memes even tho it's technically accurate

also this is the characters in a nutshell

Xadyu

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
I won't be reading with you guys, but can I vote with you?

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Sorry, I prefer if the voters have the intention to read the chosen series if this is the one they voted for. It wouldnt be fair otherwise.

Asako

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
I see this is a tie once again

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Yes, gonna open a second poll that will last for 1 day.

If you guys wanna use this round to discuss if the polls should have "non readers" voting in it or not, feel free as well. I think since we can't know if people will end up having the time to read or not, we should be rather permissive, even the ones that maybe wouldn't be discussing with us might come around. I'll go with wtv you guys prefer, tho!

Xadyu

Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
Sorry, I prefer if the voters have the intention to read the chosen series if this is the one they voted for. It wouldnt be fair otherwise.
That's a fair point, I've read all but one, which I'm currently reading already, and seeing I know a few of the participants I thought it would be fair enough for me to vote for something I think they, as a group, would enjoy.

I'll refrain from voting on this poll then, and we'll see where the eventual discussion will lead too.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Oh i dont mind any of those winning i know both, and both are great :zomg
i ve read my Girl and its outstanding imo, and i ve read a couple of years ago, ithink when it was still serialized, Shimanami Tasogare, i ve never completed it tho, and i actually totally forgot about it, just realized it when checking out it, i dont know why i havent completed it yet, lol but thats me, im inconsistent with reading, im just reading whats im in mood of when i feel reading them, (theres many manga or animes ive started which are on hold for months or years, regardless how much i enjoy them). but i read like a half of it maybe more, and i enjoyed it a alot, and need to complete it anyway.

I m fine either way, i just wish people will give a try to my Girl, anyway. Its really a great manga, but sadly way too underrated. :s

From initial pool, ive read already Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan , too from the same author who did My Girl (i honestly prefer My girl over it), and i havent read the manga but i watched a part of After the Rain anime.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Ah yeah I read Watashitachi in one go when I nominated it, and after what Erin posted before, I alrdy planned on reading My Girl in spite of what xD

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
We'll read Our Dreams at Dusk, suggested by Marmy, guys! As a reminder, we can openly discuss the first volume - anything past that, please include in spoiler tags.
We have until April 14th before a new round starts. Enjoy the reading, will be looking forward to the discussions!

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I will share my thoughts from what ive read so far, will try to complete the manga Asap ( i have like a little more than one volume to complete) and will share more then, if theres more to add.
The story so far, focuses on a boy who at 1st seems to be unnaware and insecure about his sexuality, he slowly realizes he likes a boy (and that actually hes been attracted to boys, even earlier), and we get to see all his emotional evolution from denial to acceptation, to "i need to make that happen".​
Due to that, he's subjected to bully in his class, to the point he starts to say similar things as his bullies/go their ways, bc he was feeling ashamed and was focusing on what people around thinks about him. Then the moment he found the lounge he started to change.​
I enjoyed the most : The emotions portrayal that are very realistical ( the distress, the importance of what people think of them, anger etc.) Mc's and other characters' emotions. I like how the manga deals about the topics of intolerance and prejudices. the concept of lounge is great too ( pretty much like an anti-café where people can enjoy a little serenity in a place where they are accepted whoever they are), the characters who come there are interesting, i like the anonymous lady ( who i though at 1st was a guy) personality, i like the concept of restoring old houses etc. i like how Takusu ( Mc) start gradually to grow (Mc) despite not being especially fan of him, i prefer the characters in the lounge. Daichi is my fave.​
I do like how everyone has their own story, their own issues. the "should i speak up my thoughts" or "should i say nothing and stay in my confort zone", "what if that happens ?and i regret telling " "what they will think of me ?"etc I felt relatable in some parts, especially about characters emotions and the way they deal with them, like it happens all he time, exple at work "should I say this or that or let things as they are and not take any risk ? or talk and get everyone against me"​
I dont know yet about Misora who i think is one of the most interesting characters, so far. He stated he doesnt know why he enjoys crossdressing, i like the fact hes not sure himself about his gender/sexuality, and i think the argument with Takusu was one of the best moment of the story as, it reflects so well his distress. I like how the usual "clasifications of people" or biases are avoided most of times, or discussed. thats the best part of the manga, at least so far, it avoids most the usual clichés.​

Some minor negative points ( I'm quibbling, :arf ) : those coincidental things like the guy who comes to help in the lounge, for the old houses restoration, had coincidentally to be the father of Mc's crush (Tsubaki) it was way too predictable, there a couple of others.​
And thoses scenes like, in a crowded place, ofc somebody has to push Tsubaki and ofc he has to ends up, of all people here, almost his lips kissing Takusu's. And another time Takusu stumbled and of course end up in Tsubaki arms. I can find those kind of stuff cute, depending on the story telling and various factors, but not here, the story is pretty mature, or at least in my view, so those scenes looked to me a little cringey, out of place.​
i did dislike the fact that all his (Mc's) crushs are the kind of hot, athletical, cool popular guys, ( sounds so clicheic) and tbh im not really fond of Mc.​

I appreciate how society is portrayed, its is so on spot that reflects very well reality. Like this scene is so so realistical :

this, too, is so true in every way, people always have those patterns in their mind and like to label others, when you re at work or elsewhere, if you dont enter the category they want you to enter, they start to question you or bully you. thats probably my favorite panel.

Art
Art wise, i just love the symbolism in some pics like the glass shattering, or wall destroying, otherwise some panels are really beautiful.

So to conclude, so far its really an enjoyable and interesting reading, it deals with gender/sexuality topic in a good way, not falling into usual clichés, thats probably what i wished to see in Okaeri Alice, which is so far just way too edgy to my taste. i did enjoy the reading, and ofc will wait to end it, to share my final thoughts, but i will be honest it s a very good manga, a clever one, but i dont think its one of the most memorable ones, nor one that will impact me, as much as i enjoyed what ive read, so far, i dont see it making my top 20 unless some really great turn of event happens before the end.​

Last edited:

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Mhm, so quiet over here :3

I've been doing a slow reread, so I figured I'd just leave my thoughts (of my reread) here as I go.

What I really appreciate about this manga is what Erin has stated in her message as well. It's a series that deals with sexuality, and it does that well. And that's something I think is a bit rare in manga. The story shows a teenager, that struggles with his feelings for the same sex.
His classmates suspect this, and keep making nasty remarks about it. I think it kind of shows how something that may have been a joke to some, can really hurt another person.
And when he's contemplating ending his own life, the story begins. Yet this is not a sad story, even if the setting starts so depressing.

He meets Anonymous, who leads him to the lounge. The lounge gives him a special place to return to - A place to belong in a way. A place to just be, without any judgement. A place where he can figure things out.
Here he meets different kinds of people, who all have their own story. It kind of helps putting things into perspective.
And I think it's the side stories that I liked the most really.
Overall, I agree with Erin saying that some scenes kind of felt out of place. Especially when it came to his crush. Though I also feel that it's part of the MCs story - he afterall is a teenager, and teenagers are dramatically cringy from time to time.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I will share my thoughts from what ive read so far, will try to complete the manga Asap ( i have like a little more than one volume to complete) and will share more then, if theres more to add.
The story so far, focuses on a boy who at 1st seems to be unnaware and insecure about his sexuality, he slowly realizes he likes a boy (and that actually hes been attracted to boys, even earlier), and we get to see all his emotional evolution from denial to acceptation, to "i need to make that happen".​
Due to that, he's subjected to bully in his class, to the point he starts to say similar things as his bullies/go their ways, bc he was feeling ashamed and was focusing on what people around thinks about him. Then the moment he found the lounge he started to change.​
I enjoyed the most : The emotions portrayal that are very realistical ( the distress, the importance of what people think of them, anger etc.) Mc's and other characters' emotions. I like how the manga deals about the topics of intolerance and prejudices. the concept of lounge is great too ( pretty much like an anti-café where people can enjoy a little serenity in a place where they are accepted whoever they are), the characters who come there are interesting, i like the anonymous lady ( who i though at 1st was a guy) personality, i like the concept of restoring old houses etc. i like how Takusu ( Mc) start gradually to grow (Mc) despite not being especially fan of him, i prefer the characters in the lounge. Daichi is my fave.​
I do like how everyone has their own story, their own issues. the "should i speak up my thoughts" or "should i say nothing and stay in my confort zone", "what if that happens ?and i regret telling " "what they will think of me ?"etc I felt relatable in some parts, especially about characters emotions and the way they deal with them, like it happens all he time, exple at work "should I say this or that or let things as they are and not take any risk ? or talk and get everyone against me"​
I dont know yet about Misora who i think is one of the most interesting characters, so far. He stated he doesnt know why he enjoys crossdressing, i like the fact hes not sure himself about his gender/sexuality, and i think the argument with Takusu was one of the best moment of the story as, it reflects so well his distress. I like how the usual "clasifications of people" or biases are avoided most of times, or discussed. thats the best part of the manga, at least so far, it avoids most the usual clichés.​

Some minor negative points ( I'm quibbling, :arf ) : those coincidental things like the guy who comes to help in the lounge, for the old houses restoration, had coincidentally to be the father of Mc's crush (Tsubaki) it was way too predictable, there a couple of others.​
And thoses scenes like, in a crowded place, ofc somebody has to push Tsubaki and ofc he has to ends up, of all people here, almost his lips kissing Takusu's. And another time Takusu stumbled and of course end up in Tsubaki arms. I can find those kind of stuff cute, depending on the story telling and various factors, but not here, the story is pretty mature, or at least in my view, so those scenes looked to me a little cringey, out of place.​
i did dislike the fact that all his (Mc's) crushs are the kind of hot, athletical, cool popular guys, ( sounds so clicheic) and tbh im not really fond of Mc.​

I appreciate how society is portrayed, its is so on spot that reflects very well reality. Like this scene is so so realistical :

this, too, is so true in every way, people always have those patterns in their mind and like to label others, when you re at work or elsewhere, if you dont enter the category they want you to enter, they start to question you or bully you. thats probably my favorite panel.

Art
Art wise, i just love the symbolism in some pics like the glass shattering, or wall destroying, otherwise some panels are really beautiful.

So to conclude, so far its really an enjoyable and interesting reading, it deals with gender/sexuality topic in a good way, not falling into usual clichés, thats probably what i wished to see in Okaeri Alice, which is so far just way too edgy to my taste. i did enjoy the reading, and ofc will wait to end it, to share my final thoughts, but i will be honest it s a very good manga, a clever one, but i dont think its one of the most memorable ones, nor one that will impact me, as much as i enjoyed what ive read, so far, i dont see it making my top 20 unless some really great turn of event happens before the end.​
So completd it, and nothing more to add from what i ve said earlier, its a nice reading, it deals with a sensitive subject in a pretty honest and clever way, theres a nice balance of drama ( sometimes maybe a little forced) some nice scenes, some heartwarming moments and a great reflexion about society, with no necessarily ready answers to give, but just thought-provoking.

Overall, I agree with Erin saying that some scenes kind of felt out of place. Especially when it came to his crush. Though I also feel that it's part of the MCs story - he afterall is a teenager, and teenagers are dramatically cringy from time to time.
Oh i m happy im not the only one who felt that way, yep true you re probably right, the high school setting/mentality may be the reason. I appreciated though, Takusu's chara devlopment.

Thxs Marm for the suggestion, that was a great pick :zomg

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Read volumes 1-3 today. Will finish the 4th volume some time over the next week. Posting what I think so far...

Despite the story focusing on a boy who is a homosexual and people of other sexual minorities, it's really about how people can misunderstand each other and themselves imo. It's a lifelong struggle to identify who we are because we're always listening to someone else or following the wrong advice or leading ourselves down the garden path with our own views etc etc. That same struggle exists for understanding others, too, for similar reasons. The lack of understanding can make navigating life difficult, especially when it comes to making decisions. Someone-san simplified the answer (without reducing its meaning) when she told Daichi to worry about the later things later. At least, I do agree with that, you make the important choice now (who you love and commit to them) and figure the rest out later (navigating the obstacles that might oppose you). Especially with relationships where you need to build upon solid foundations/commitment (on that note - narrative choice that the Cat group renovate buildings, or coincidence?).

It would also take some cultural assumptions on the readers part to understand the situations the characters are in to their full extent. There was a passage earlier in the manga where they seemed okay with someone being gay but felt sorry for their parents. I read in another manga something along similar lines, that there existed some forms of acceptance to gay people in Japan, as long as it wasn't in their family. Tsubaki-kun has some very distasteful outbursts towards gay people but he is struggling with his own feelings, because all those hateful words have probably been drummed into him by family.

If you consider how hard it might be to mature romantically and personally, along with the above, then it's somewhat understandable that Tsukasa would seek suicide. It's sad that someone can be pushed so far just because he is gay - just how suicide is sad when someone is pushed to that extent. I like that when he found a bit of happiness he was thankful he didn't jump, it's important he realised that. Often, when times are really terrible, it's important to realise they could be worse, and that there will be good times.

All in all, this manga is worth a read. It could be very impactful for some, especially with the sexuality topic. The art is easy on the eye most of the time, and sublime for the moments when the author is symbolic and metaphoric with the illustrations. If there's anything more to add to this when I've completed vol 4 I'll add to this.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Doooone!

I like the first chapter a lot, I agree it's not only about sexuality but also about our self struggles and about being empathetic with people on different matters, although the sexuality talk has been and remains such an important one 'cause so many people suffer with that and it's ridiculous how society still is regarding that nowadays... After hearing some awful comments from, say, my dad, I think to myself our generation is better on that, but I guess I'm just naive 'cause I often get examples of how that's not true. Or see people that openly support the community (to look pretty on IG o: !) but have contradicting behavior later on (like getting offended with the thought of being one). I'm still very ignorant about the topic, had a very close friend in uni that used to talk to me a bit about those things during those years and I could take my curiosity about it to him but moving away from each other and having busy lives compromised our contact, and I just feel like I need to get better informed about this and many other relevant topics... to nurture my own ideas and values and to be able to help people to get more voices... and also to help other ignorant people like me to mature, since some people could say ill things not out of intention, but cause they lack the perspective to be able to be empathetic. I believe the world desperately needs that, along with better communication... in the end, people, in general, don't have a lot of patience with others and don't really try to understand where others come from...

I'll admit I don't fully understand the magical part of the series? XD Still didn't get it those were metaphors to aesthetically show feelings or if there's rly something supernatural about Anon and her lounge. Guess further in the series I'll learn that, or maybe it will be kept that way for the poetry of it? Oh and I absolutely love Haru-chan, but I guess that's the point of her... being that reference or charisma and strength people look up to as a role model, but I love seeing her insecure and reckless sides as well since that makes her relatable.